wiring up rear work light

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:57
ThreadID: 10943 Views:17804 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
any advice on the best way to wire up a rear roof mounted work light?
thanks!
Will.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 19:15

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 19:15
Will,

The work light I have got is on a spring tension bracket bolted to the roof rack. Didn't weld the bracket because of vibration and could crack.

Most work lights are only 55w so a relay is not a bad idea. Wire the relay from the second battery with a switch on the dash. Most work lights have a switch in the back of the case which someone else could turn on and with out you knowing and next thing you have a flat battery. I by-passed the switch in the case all together and turn the light off and on from the dash,this means that you can turn it on as a reversing light.

Ran the cable from the relay up inside the snorkel and out through the back of the snorkel head. From there along the legs of the roof rack to the light.

Work really well and is very handy

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48913

Follow Up By: Bazza - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:35

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:35
G'Day Wayne,
Which brand of work light do you have? I've been trying to find one that suits my needs for ages ... but still no luck. I've got a 120 Prado and I'm trying to find and fit a narrow rubber backed unit, as I iintend to mount it on the 3rd unused roof rack mounting position. It has to be narrow in width as I do'nt want it to be higher than the roof racks when folded down.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 310948

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:40

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:40
Bazza,

I have got a Hella round work light. Have a look at www.hella.com.au then click on products and then work lights. They might have want you want.

Wayne
FollowupID: 311024

Reply By: Janset - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:29

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:29
Hi Will.

I agree a relay is a must, and don't forget a fuse. Now to tell you how I wired mine up, and it works well.

I triggered the relay by tapping into the reversing light, that way when I reverse, I got extra light.

Next step: I spliced a one one diode (bought from Dick Smith for a couple of bucks) between the work light and where I spliced into the reversing light harness. I then ran a Hot wire via a switch from inside the vehicle and tapped into my harness between the Diode and the relay (another way to activate the relay).

So what have I now. When I reverse, I get the Work light to give me extra lighting. And when I activate the interior switch to the work light, I get the work light to come on, but the reversing lights do not come on, (as they are blocked by the diode).

I find that over the years, I have got more use out of the extra lighting for reversing then a did as a work light.

Just another suggestion.

Regards
AnswerID: 48926

Reply By: Roachie - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 21:02
I've got 2 smaller (golf-ball size) lights on the back of my ARB roof rack. I also wired them to reverse light, but no diode necessary. Instead, I simply use a single pole/double throw switch (which also has a green flashing LED beside it to warn me it's on). In one position the lights come on when I go into reverse. When I flick the switch down, the lights come on too. Green flashing LED comes on either way.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 48933

Reply By: ThePublican - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 22:39

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 22:39
Is illegal to have such a light able to be switched on when not in reverse gear,, just imagine your cruising down the h/way and all of a sudden a 55/100 watter is switched onto you from the vehicle in front,,,, have mine wired straight to reversing light,, helps heaps at reversing and its no big deal to leave vehicle in reverse and ignition on acc when light needed when setting camp ect.,,,,,,,,,check the ADR ,, not only massive fines involved but how would you feel if your vehicle was at fault causing the previous scenario.??
AnswerID: 48949

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 00:11

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 00:11
Publican,

Rear mounted work lights are legal, provided that they do not exceed 55watt , have a work light lense and can be moved or rotated.(not fixed like driving lights on the bull bar),
The only thing they could get me for is that I have the switch in the cabin. The light is supposed to be only turned on from the light it self.
The reason I moved the switch is because some clown turned the light on and flatten the battery.

Just about every prim mover I see has one sometimes two of the lights fitted to the cab.

Yes I can remind drivers behind me that they have not dipped there hi beam, but this does not happen often.

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 310796

Reply By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:21

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:21
Will,

By law you need to operate the light from the light. To avoid other people turning it on you also have an in line switch inside the vehicle.

You pull up at night, flick the inside switch to "on" go around the back and turn the light on at the light.

Finished with the light, turn off at the light, turn off inside the vehicle.

Have a beer.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 49003

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:14

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:14
ok fellas thanks for the reponses. from reading above what i want to do is have the light wired into the reversing lights, plus have a switch on the light (but will only come on if car in reverse. can somebody explain how to wire that up in plain english. i am competent at wiring, soldering but need someone to explain the use of the switch, relay etc first.
Thanks!
Will.
AnswerID: 49125

Reply By: prado95 - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 13:52

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 13:52
Consider that for roadworth requirements the lamp may have to come on when in REVERSE.

Probbaly get away with in most states that dont have an annual inspection, or unless you flash the boys in blue behind you.
AnswerID: 49367

Sponsored Links