Lake Eyre Scenic Flights

Can any members recommend scenic flight companies & costs for flights over Lake Eyre.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:07

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:07
The one at William Creek strip are no doubt the closest, not sure of pricing though.
Have not done this, but it would be pretty awesome from the air.

I have flown a bit up around the north Flinders, back from Cameron Corner, and Lake Callabonna is beaut from the air, no doubt at probably 20x the size Lake Eyre would be nothing short of spectacular.
AnswerID: 538775

Reply By: Jon W (Toow - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:16

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:16
We used Wright Air from William Ck although they also fly out of Marree. Prices were not outrageous and are on their website. Jon W
AnswerID: 538776

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 10:00

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 10:00
+1 for Wright Air. At the height of the Eyre flooding they ran flights out of Coober Pedy too. We got to see Painted Hills and a good amount of other desert terrain on the way to and fro.
FollowupID: 823355

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 10:34

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 10:34
WE used Wright Air about 5 years ago when the lake had plenty of water in it. Took a flight from William Creek, the first flight of the day for the best light and one that included the Painted Hills, and that leg of the flight was really the best part. The lake would be dry atm so I think including the Painted Hills would be necessary to get good value. It wasn't cheap but a wonderful experience and definitely worth it. A link to a blog is here

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 823358

Follow Up By: tommo05 - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 21:07

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 21:07
Another vote for Wright Air here. We flew out of Marree about 3 years ago, I can't remember the cost exactly but it was about what you'd expect. Took us right over to Halligan Bay and back, can't recall how far North we got but we certainly saw a lot of lake. Like Val it was first flight of the day, absolutely magic seeing the sun still making its way up on our way out.

I do like Val's theory of taking the William Creek flight that includes Painted Hills though, given that there isn't a great deal of water to see at the moment.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 823393

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 11:36

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 11:36
Bowdo,
Another plug for Wright Air flew out of Maree with Lake Eyre in full flood and out of William Creek when it was dry. Both trips were 100% value. Can't remember the cost but if it wasn't expensive for what I got.
Wright Air now have the William Creek Hotel, Caravan park etc. Depending on which backpacker is the Chef the pub tucker can be okay.

Mike.
AnswerID: 538783

Reply By: Member - johnat - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 20:11

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 20:11
Couple years ago, we did a coach trip ex Adelaide to Maree, then a flight over Eyre and over to Kalamurina (sp?) - used a mob called Outback Spirit - they aren't cheap, but the experience, and the expertise of the driver and off-sider, made the trip a great one.

Would I go again? No, but then I've been there once, and the flight was wonderful, esp the low level Cooper Creek bit!
Am I glad we spent that much? You bet!
AnswerID: 538806

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 06:16

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 06:16
While on the topic, if you ever get the opportunity to take a flight over Uluru & Kata Tjuta, add Lake Amadeus to the itinerary.

In my book it's much more impressive than Lake Eyre. Consists of scores of salt lakes almost as far as the eye can see.
AnswerID: 538823

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 07:56

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 07:56
We have done the flight a couple of times with a lunch stop over at the Birdsville pub. The food was OK.

We caught our flights via Hawker Air Strip. $750pp in September 2012 prior to school holidays.
The following year we organised a flight a few months prior to going, they want $1400pp and told them it was too expensive. Each week leading up to our trip they would ring us with a reduced price which was still over the top. On the day we left to go to the Flinders we received a final call with a price of $800pp, we accepted.

These guys have a office in Hawker, the flights are great and the pilots are awesome.

Seems like there are plenty of stations offering these flights now.
AnswerID: 538826

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 09:52

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 09:52
Bowdo,

Haven't done a scenic flight over the Lake so can't help you there.

Can second other comments about an early flight though, to get the best/clearer views. Photo below was taken about 4pm, on a flight from William Creek back to Longreach. I took 1 photo on the flight down, about 9.30, and the haze had already made photography a waste of time. The smudges, and the tint in the windows don't help either.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538830

Reply By: Freshstart - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:04

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:04
In April 2011 we took a helicopter flight over the lake. I was very full then and I bet that availability, itinerary and cost may well have changed. We flew out of Marree with Phillip Island Helicopters. It wasn't cheap and there were three of us and had a ripper of a ride. We were able to go way down below the flight levels of the fixed wing aircraft and fly a lot slower with a fully panoramic window arrangement. Like I said they weren't cheap.

AnswerID: 538835

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:58

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:58
2009 from a powered glider from William Creek.

Cheers,
Peter.
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 538855

Sponsored Links