Airbag Recommendations

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 11:34
ThreadID: 109447 Views:2061 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks

I am looking at fitting airbags to my 78 Series Troopy. I would like to hear your positive or negative feedback regarding good quality airbag suppliers or manufacturer's so that I can make an informed opinion about what to buy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 13:04

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 13:04
might be worth contacting the landcruiser owners group

http://www.lcool.org/
AnswerID: 538838

Follow Up By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:49

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:49
Thanks Wicket. I am in the process of doing just that.
FollowupID: 823414

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:28

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:28
Air bag suspension? If the vehicle was not designed for it I wouldn't fit it. Have you spoken to Toyota about their feelings? Maybe a dealer close to rough roads that may have an idea, not a city dealer.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 538841

Follow Up By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:56

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:56
Hi sdr00y

No, I have not spoken to Toyota or an outback dealer and nor will I as I do not believe they necessarily give informed opinions. I believe that I will get more objective opinions here in this or the LCOOL forum. There are many 70 - 78 series Landcruisers out there with airbag suspension which have had them for years and it is from those folk that I want to hear, however thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread.
FollowupID: 823415

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:45

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:45
Snolly
Fitted bags to my cruiser approx. 5 years ago got them from "Airbag" man never had an issue whatsoever.
Just be careful when fitting as the air supply line can rub on bag and cause damage if not tied back properly.
Have never needed over 40 PSI in mine, and I do travel heavy with tools of trade.
Cheers & Regards
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 538843

Follow Up By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:57

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 14:57
Hi Flighty

Thanks for the advice. I will check out Airbag Man and see what they offer.
FollowupID: 823416

Follow Up By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 16:52

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 16:52
I had airbags on my last 4wd and was happy with them but having t adjust them was something that I could do without so this time round I have fitted Sumo springs to my 79 series
No more checking pressure no more worrying about stray things hitting airlines so far set and forget and no issues with handling weight changes or constant loads
For me they have been a better investment

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 823420

Reply By: wombat100 - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:08

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:08
Why do you need to fit airbags??

AnswerID: 538849

Follow Up By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 14:00

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 14:00
Hi Wombat

Please read my follow up to Mick O for the answer. Thanks for replying.
FollowupID: 823540

Reply By: Troopy8thwonderoftheworld - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:14

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:14
Hi Snolly
I have fitted several sets to diffrent vehicles and the landcruiser have a strong chassis and can take the extra load but it's a tight fit,if it's standard height between the top of the diff and chassis,you will need to rework the brake hoses a but for clearance,and always keep at least 5psi in the bag or they will bottom out ! If you need more than 35psi you need to look at your load and springs as the air bag will be doing all the suspension work !
AnswerID: 538850

Follow Up By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 14:05

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 14:05
Hi Troopy8thwonderoftheworld.
Thanks for your reply. As I noted in my reply to Mick O, the upgraded springs that I have fitted have raised the vehicle by 60mm and so it should not be too much of a problem fitting airbags including a spacer kit. Thanks for the advice re the 5psi.
FollowupID: 823542

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:35

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 17:35
Snolly,

Had a couple of 79 series work ute's with bellows type airbags.

Worked alright because we were often carrying a variety of loads. If you don't keep a minimum of air in them at all times, we found the bags wore through the flexible brake line that runs next to the backing plate. Not a readily available part in western Qld some years ago.

Tried bags on an 80 series too. Not a lot of success, so ran with H/D rear coils.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538853

Follow Up By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 14:02

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 14:02
Hi Bob.
Like you I carry a variety of loads including my carpentry tools around and need to be able to vary the suspension carrying capacity. Please read my follow up to Mick O for further information.
FollowupID: 823541

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 22:13

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 22:13
Snollmeister,

there are a couple of tenants you need to remember with Airbags the most important being, 'they are there to assist only'! Don't use them to carry the entire weight! By that I mean, get the foundations right and look at your suspension needs. You may be better served by ensuring that your rear springs and shocks are better attuned to the loads you intend carrying and consideration of the country you intend carrying them over.

In my case I've had the rear spring pack designed to carry the weights (including towball weight) of my camper pod and Quad trailer. I've then used a set of airbags to facilitate getting the rear back to 'standard' height once fully loaded. The airbags are not holding the whole lot up. They do some work but are in tune with the springs and shocks. The outbacks roads are littered with stories of the cracked chassis of those who've used airbags to carry significant load rather than look at the big picture.

Talk to some experts, consider your situation holistically and remember that they are only there to assist! On this forum or LCool, there will be countless recommendations for suspension experts in NSW. My advice would be to ring Kings in QLD and look at a whole suspension solution.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538873

Follow Up By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 13:58

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 13:58
Hi Mick
Thanks for the info. Last year I upgraded the springs and shocks on the troopy to a heavier grade and like you, I need to bring the rear of the vehicle back as close as possible to level when the caravan is attached. My vehicle is an ex-hire Kea "Conqueror" and is fitted out with cupboards, sink, water tanks, beds, pop top roof etc and so it is always carrying more weight than a standard troopy. When the extra weight of the caravan (240kg towball weight) is added, the springs are being pushed towards their limits. Therefore, I think that with the airbags acting as a supplementary suspension the van / troopy combination will sit level when being towed, which is as it should be.
FollowupID: 823539

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 at 19:55

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 at 19:55
Far better idea would be to use a distribution hitch when towing.

Airbags only lift what is above them and the weight on the towball will still lift the front of the vehicle as it pivots on the rear suspension. The hitch tends to straighten the joint at the towball and level the rig. Has been endless threads for years on forums about this.
AnswerID: 539453

Sponsored Links