jacks

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 20:47
ThreadID: 109467 Views:2913 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
looking for an alternative to a high lift jack that i can use on my ranger,the supplied scissor jack is a little hopeless,also do not want to use a trolley jack if possible,is there anything in the way of an electric jack, or any other ideas for something that is not too heavy? thanks for future answers barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 21:00

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 21:00
A bit unclear what you want the jack to do
a. Normal duties (change tyres and such)-Hydraulic Jack
b. Recovery -Exhaust Jack so long as the surface you lift on is smooth and free of sharp objects
Couple of options
AnswerID: 538933

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 22:23

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 22:23
Use the search function on this forum for scissor jacks or similar title.

You may find a thread from earlier this week - such as this one : 109424.

;-)

RM
AnswerID: 538937

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 23:26

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 23:26
There are a lot of people who believe high lift jacks are neither use nor ornament...I would not go that far.

But they are of little use if you do not have bar work....and they are a bit on the dangerous side.....the instructions from the genuine hi lift jack, gives a number of warnings and says not to use them for changing tyres.

Any decent jack of a variety of types can be usefull for both changing tyres and recoveries.

Mostly jacks that come with vehicles are the munimum required to change a tyre on flat level ground and not necessarily the best or fastest.

There are better quality higher rated scissor jacks arround...there are also scissor jacks with electric motors available.
I have not seen many but there are a few...um less conventional screw operated jacks....that have advantages over the scissor jack

There is a very good variety of hydraulic jacks of the bottle type.....big ones small ones, some as big as your head,( for those old enough that was a quote from "I've got a loverly bunch of coconuts) fat ones, skinny ones, tall ones, short ones...some with wheeled plates and extended handles.

If ya don't like pumping....they are available as air over hydraulic if you have a good air supply on board.

There are some pretty compact and reasonably light trolly jacks about...but they are usless on other than smooth flat surfaces.

realy for my money it would be a hydraulic bottle jack.

AND don't forget to get ya self a jacking plate to go under it on soft ground.

I got a 300mm square 10mm thick steel plate from my local steel shop.....I told em what it was for...so they had a pile cut up.....and they seem to be shifting them.

AND yes I have used it to cook my breakfast when I left my fry pan at home.

cheers
AnswerID: 538940

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 00:06

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 00:06
http://www.kcimports.com.au/ This company is good to deal with they have distributers all over the country you can buy from so you can actually see the product before buying. I have one of their ezy wrenches which I've had for several yrs and is a great product they also have 1 ton and 2 ton electric scissor jacks.
AnswerID: 538942

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:35

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:35
Barry, what model Ranger do you have ?
I'm surprised it has a scissor jack supplied, PJ / PK have a bottle jack, not sure what PX model has been issued.

I see a lot of people rig up a cordless impact driver to use on scissor jacks.

As mentioned above, your use / needs are not stated, but my gut says you just want to use it to change a wheel, or pack under a rut under a wheel etc.

I like scissor jacks, but feel a bottle jack is probably safer and more stable in a lot of circumstances off road.
You should make sure you have a good jacking plate for soft bases, and also a few wood blocks to pack under to get to right starting height.
AnswerID: 538947

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:19

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:19
I'm looking too. When I had a flat on a dirt road I had to build a ramp of rocks and drive the flat tyre up on it to get the vehicle high enough to get the jack under the vehicle. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to be getting down on the ground to put a jack under the axle. So what I need is a jack that is low enough to get under a vehicle when a tyre is flat and then have a long extension to lift the vehicle high enough to change the wheel. Maybe a multi stage ram, if such is available. A trolley jack would probably work but how do they handle soft surfaces?
AnswerID: 538951

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 13:04

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 13:04
Yeah, know what you mean re setting up to jack Ron.

Had a Jeep on a trip once, they jacked up on soft sand to change a wheel with a tyre rolled off, no jacking plate was used !
With wheel off, you guessed it, it sunk right down onto the wishbone, jack pushed right into the sand.
Took quite a while for 2 blokes to dig around under the wheel hub to get a hole big enough to take the spare : /

Re trolley jack.
I have looked at the low profile aluminum racing ones, twin rams for speed, yeah you could use one, and these are pretty light too, they just take up room, and you'd have to have a fair size jacking board too, made of say 1" thick ply.
FollowupID: 823533

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:16

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:16
Trolley jacks can be a very handy offroad jack.
They just need a custom base - use thick plywood, cut out 4 squares for the wheels, so that when you slip it under the diff housing, it doesn't sink into the dirt.
The problem with trolley jacks is that they roll forward when you jack it up. If you are jacking under the diff housing, this is not much of a problem because it doesn't have to jack very far to lift the wheel. If you were to use the trolley jack under the chassis, it would have to rise the full height and would need to roll forward a fair way.
So in the end, it is all how you use it. Under the diff housings and under the A-arms at the front, it will work. Under the chassis, it won't.

I carry a 1400kg trolley jack, on it's own plate, for both the TVan and as an extra for the Landcruiser if needed. But realistically, a flat tyre is becoming an uncommon event since split rims and highway tyres disappeared off the scene.

If you want to jack up the chassis (for suspension repairs or to unbog a vehicle), then a HiLift is the way to go.
FollowupID: 823557

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 09:23

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 09:23
If you are going to use a trolly jack on other than smooth hard surfaces, you need to have a fairly large board that all the wheels can ride on...AND... you need to have a fairly flat section of ground prepared to place that board on.

The load rating and the mechainical reliability of the jack rely on the weight being supported more or less evenly on all 4 wheels.

The other issue is those wheels.....on uneven ground or with sideways forces they can move and skew arround.

I have a series of trolly jacks since Kmart first braught out a trolly jack that mortals could afford back in the early 80s.
My current unit is a full sized garrage jack.

I have never had the luxury of always being able to use them on a flat concrete floor.

I have used the various jacks many times on a board...with care this can be done safely.

But its not something I would try on uneven ground or on soft ground.

it also must be understood that trolly jacks produce quite high point loadings due to being supported by 4 wheels and not a flat wide base.

OH yeh remember these wheels.....if you jack up a vehicle that is not properly chocked.....the whole she bang can take off at speed on the wheels of the jack.

I have had
the wheels put big dints in the board
the board flex sufficienty for the frame to botton on the now curved board
the jack creep off the side of the board

Trolly jacks are a great thing....lots of caravanners carry them.....even away from a garrage floor.....but not away from something that approximates a hard flat surface.

cheers
FollowupID: 823582

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 20:28

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 20:28
Bantam,
I don't think you understood what I wrote:
"They just need a custom base - use thick plywood, cut out 4 squares for the wheels, so that when you slip it under the diff housing, it doesn't sink into the dirt."

The wheels sit in those 4 holes, so the trolley jack can't roll around and the base sits on top of the dirt.
FollowupID: 823605

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 22:56

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 22:56
Serioulsy...have you tried this

The problem is, a trolly jack must roll around to work.

Because of the geometry a trolly jack may move back and forth 2 or 3 inches with the full height of the jack.

Then also remember...the body clearance of the jack......if the wheels are recessed it takes a lot less before the board flexes and the body of the jack fouls on the board.

cheers
FollowupID: 823610

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 15:59

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 15:59
I have had some difficulty in getting a jack low enough to get under the axle or wherever yet with enough lift to get the wheel off the ground.
After searching I found and bought a two stage telescopic jack, one of these.
Thankfully, have not needed to use it yet but a try-out was OK.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538960

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 21:04

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 21:04
G`day Barry,
I bought a 3 stage (2 rams + 1 screw section) that is fairly squat at the local Sunday market for about $40 I think. China made.
I use a couple of pieces of the 13 ply structural timber for jacking plates, also for under the jockey wheel and van legs.
I no longer scratch and scrape to get the jack under, it took me about 50 years to wake up to an easy way.
I now lay the spare in front or behind the flat wheel/tyre and drive up onto it, the jack now fits under easily, jack up the flat, pull out the spare, take off the flat and replace with spare .............. Bingo easy.

Scrubby.

AnswerID: 538979

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 19:46

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 19:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eftsaQXEN2s One of these would be good for a trailer.
AnswerID: 539029

Sponsored Links