cooktown and bloomfield track november / december

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 18:12
ThreadID: 109473 Views:2655 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi first time using this forum but read some good stuff on here so thought i'd give it a try.
Heading up to cooktown / port douglas area from late november till around 6th December. We've hired a 4x4 and a small tinny. What is the likelihood of traveling the bloomfield track between Cape trib and Cooktown at this time of year? I've read it could be washed out and its a no-go with a trailer... but if its dry, can we do it with the boat? Likewise with the track in from Hopevale to Elim Beach.
Keen to get some fishing in so any wisdom you want to throw my way would be great.
thanks guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:00

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:00
Hi Phil - sorry I can't help you with your planning , never having been past Port Douglas, but welcome to the forum & yes it is very useful as you have noticed.

Here's hoping there are others around who have made that trip willing to share it around with you.

I didn't think to check myself, but if you have a look in 'Places' you may find some useful snippets - if not, you could break the ice after the trip and post your experiences up there.

Hope it comes off as expected.

Cheer - Phil (WA)
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 538970

Reply By: braggy - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:53

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:53
Hi Phil

Just back from the Tip and went up the Bloomfield, it was dry and towed a caravan. no trouble at all, there are some steep bits but they are concreted. Its only dirt from Cape Trib to Wugal Wujall them bitumen to Cooktown.

Hopevale to Elim Beach is a good gravel road, only abit of sand just before Eddies camp, but not soft, towed the van in there as well.

Get your permit for Elim Beach at Eddies when you get there (its easier)

Be very carefull if you drive on the beach.

Hope you get some fish, no one was doing any good last couple of weeks there.

Have a great trip, Ken
AnswerID: 538973

Follow Up By: Phil H3 - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:59

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 19:59
thanks for the info guys. Shouldnt have any trouble with the tinny if you've taken the van through, just questions over the start of the wet season when ill be going. Guess ill just see how it goes, can always take inland road if its too wet.
Elim beach looks really nice, definitely head up there if the track is open nov/dec.
cheers
FollowupID: 823560

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 21:46

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 21:46
G'day Phil

All depends on the weather. The "wet" could be in full swing by then in which case I'd say you wouldn't have a show.
AnswerID: 538983

Reply By: Tony F8 - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 07:23

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 07:23
It's going to be fairly tropical up there at that time, the Bloomfield track is doable even after some rain, just drive to conditions. You could expect some afternoon rain/storms at that time of year, but that means the barra will be on the bite, have a good trip and don't forget the aerogard, you will definitely need it.
Cheers.
Tony F8.
AnswerID: 538995

Follow Up By: Phil H3 - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 16:26

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 16:26
its the closed season for barra isnt it...
rain doesnt worry me, as long as i can get out on the water. thanks mate
FollowupID: 823596

Reply By: Tony F8 - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 17:34

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 17:34
Yep your right phil, my apologies, it is closed season.
Cheers.
Tony F8.
AnswerID: 539024

Reply By: Member - Tassiebrocky - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 19:33

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 19:33
Did the Bloomfield track middle of August and it was good but as you realise it is steep in places. They are in the process of building a bridge at the northern end but don't know when it will be finished.
AnswerID: 539028

Reply By: Mark T6 - Sunday, Sep 14, 2014 at 11:46

Sunday, Sep 14, 2014 at 11:46
Have done the Bloomfield a few times, last time in July this year.

Its no drama's when dry, and yes most of the steep bits are concreted (sort of takes the fun out of it really!!)....for some real fun try the CREB track, now that IS fun!!

Seriously you should be able to do it fine as the wet season isn't in full swing at that stage, but yes be aware of a big storm is brewing that some of the crossings "may" have water rushing through.

I have to tell you this story, some years ago when I did my first trip up north I pulled into the Café / Trading Post (been there for years) at Cape Tribulation.

We go up to the counter and are assisted by a Dutch back packer girl (with big.....,well that's another story) and I ask her if she had any information on what the track was like.

She said "oh yes, you will go through some deep water crossings and the suggestion is to put chains on to get up the steep slopes"....I said "oh right, well thanks for that knowledgeable update" and went outside and nearly bleep myself laughing.

I could have almost driven my Honda Accord through that day, and the deep water crossing was across a bridge with maybe 1 1/2 inches of water trickling over the top.

Oh well I seem to remember enjoying talking to her regardless!!
AnswerID: 539065

Follow Up By: Phil H3 - Sunday, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:29

Sunday, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:29
maybe ill pull into the cafe.. check if shes still giving advice!
Thanks for the info tho mate can't wait to get up there. Might dump the boat and try the CREB track if its dry
cheers guys
FollowupID: 823656

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:24

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:24
The CREB's great (I have done that as well) but far far more serious than the Bloomfield. Really the Bloomfield is "pedestrian" as far as 4WDing goes, but its worth doing as the scenery is really nice.

By the way the CREB (which stands for Cairns Regional Electricity Board....at least I think that's what it said on the sign) follows the power poles and is in essence the maintenance track, and does get very hairy at times and is often closed in the wet.

My last trip north was July this year, it had rained a few days before and yep was closed again (not that I was doing it this time as I had my caravan on the back).

If doing the CREB do NOT go alone, winching out is an almost certain!!

AnswerID: 539157

Sponsored Links