Off Road Trailer Advice, please

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:03
ThreadID: 10949 Views:2428 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering getting an off-road trailer - just a trailer, no tent, inbuilt kitchen, etc. It will be towed behind a 1991 80 Series (non-turbo) Cruiser diesel.
Main reason is to reduce the amount of stuff I carry when travelling, and I can also leave the roof rack at home.
I have gone through the archives but seem to get mainly camper trailers.
I'd appreciate any advice, wise thoughts etc to help me, as well as some recommendations on companies who build a trailer that can "go the distance".
Many thanks...
Jack No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:28

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:28
Hi Jack,

I am presently getting a trailer built in the same format that you are. I will be picking it up next week

I wanted a trailer that I could take off road, but also used as a general trailer also. I did not want to spent the money on a camper only to have it sit in the garage for 300 days a year

Spec's on my trailer are:

1. Hyland 2000 coupling
2. 7 x 4
3. Off road suspension & 15" Nissan tyres
4. Swing out tailgate
5. Gas bottle holder behind wheel arch
6. Jerry can holder in front of wheel arch
7. Hot dip gal
8. Disk Mechanical Over ride brakes.
9. Chequer plate floor
10. 500mm high sides
11 Stoneguard on drawbar
12. Spare tyre mounted behind stoneguard
13. Tool box fixed to drawbar
14. Drawbar approx 2100mm long

I am based in NSW, getting it built in Silverwater. I know of 6 trailers built by this trailer manufacturer (some heavy duty) and quality with all has been very good.

Please send me an email and I can forward there details to you

Thanks

TonyG
AnswerID: 48925

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:26

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:26
Thanks Tony - I'd be interested in checking this out. My email is jeller@bigpond.net.au, if you'd be good enough to send some details.
Cheers
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
FollowupID: 310802

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:00

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:00
Jack. If you're looking for a go anywhere trailer you can't go past a 'TRACK' trailer.
Built to Military specs you wont buy better. Besides their camper trailers they have the Oasis which is a dust sealed general gear carrier or you can get the 6x4 bare unit and fit it out youself. Not cheap but if you like the best...... http://www.tracktrailer.com/Oasis.html Craig......................
AnswerID: 48953

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:29

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:29
Thanks Craig:
Someone had told me about this crowd, and gave me the wrong web address. Will check it out.
Cheers
FollowupID: 310803

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:53

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:53
Where are you ?

In Victoria , O'Briens Build offroad trailers.

http://www.obrienstrailers.com.au/

AnswerID: 48976

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:47

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:47
In NSW flappan .. took a look at the O'Brien's site - good stuff. They have a good reputation. Thanks.
FollowupID: 310901

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:43

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:43
biggest thing to look at is suspension, 2 ways 2 go if you go leaf make sure it has shockies built in, and independant coil suspension which is far superior better handling and not as harsh which doesnt destroy any thing being carried on board, bit more expensive but well worth it. Col
AnswerID: 48981

Reply By: DARREN - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:01

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:01
Jack,

I went through this issue last year before a Cape York trip and ended up getting a well built second hand one which did the job very well. I was paranoid about suspension failures and took heaps of spares but did not use them despite driving past lots of broken trailers, I had no problems at all. Some issues to bear in mind are:
* Suspension, despite advice to the contrary with good leaf suspension you do not need shocks ( I initlally thought you did but am now convinced otherwise). Mine had a very good leaf and axle setup with electric brakes, (from Melbourne Trailers whom I strongly recommend and ended up getting my spares from). It had rebound dampeners, from memory 7 or so leaves with double wraps around the eyes. Yes, things in the trailer get shaken a bit but so does everything in the car if you travel on corrugated roads. The beer cans in my trailer suffered no more corrugation fatigue than those in the car. I had split rims on mine for their diameter and after letting down the tires a bit found that the trailer rode quite smoothly, much to my initial suprise. The is a lot of difference between what one manufacturer describes as "off road suspension" and some of the spring I have seen described as this simply are not.
* Stone Guard: to avoid sand blasting the rear of your vehicle and/or breaking rear window, make sure that you have a very good one, look at the likes of the Kimberley Camper, some of the stone guards around are pretty average.
* I only had a tonneau cover and the trailer was mainly for carrying the boat, motor etc. but it all ended up pretty dusty in there, if I was making one from scratch i would be interested in exploring a way of dust proofing it perhaps using opening doors with rubber seals, I am interested if anyone else has had success with this.
Not sure if you are in Melbourne but I spoke to O'Briens, very knowledgable but expensive
AnswerID: 49000

Follow Up By: colin - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:51

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:51
did a desert trip with 5 vehicles all with campers 4 had leafs with no shockies and i had independant suspension, the 4 with leafs 2 which wrere new all either broke leafs or completely fell apart mine with the independant had no problems at all and it was the oldest trailer of the lot. Also did the cape with 2 trailers both with leafs and both let us down. On both trips all the pre trip preparation had been done to spec. Col
FollowupID: 310872

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:49

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:49
I haven't addressed the dust issue as yet .. not sure how I might go about it but will talk to someone "in the know" to see what can be done. I am not sure rubber seals on a trailer being bounced around a bit would be any good - but wiser heads may have other ideas.
Cheers
FollowupID: 310902

Sponsored Links