noise supress wind generator

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 at 17:07
ThreadID: 109533 Views:2621 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday anyone got any tricks for making wind generators quiter . I have a 12 volt wind Generator that is a little anoying when the breeze gets strong it puts out awsome wattage but the noise is a bit had to handle. any info welcome. safe travels
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 at 17:31

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 at 17:31
Yep a set of THESE

The other thing you could do is treat it like a windmill and have the tail adjustable to slow the mill down, in other words angle it to the wind. The only problem with that is it will cut back on the charge rate.

The other thing you can do is put some distance between you and the generator or place some insulation between you and the generator. I got in trouble once for pushing up a bund wall between a diesel generator and living quarters so noise was kept to a minimum, 6 months later I was thanked for what I had done.
AnswerID: 539218

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:55

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:55
Yep a set of THESE I like it LMAO

FollowupID: 823843

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:14

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:14
Well, welcome to the wind generator noise debate.

Lots of people are pushing wind generation as a green source of power with little or no environmental impact.

But there are plenty who raise the noise issue...seems you have the problem on a smaller scale.

Now you have not mentioned what sort of generator it is.

is it a propellor type, vertical blade type or a savernous rotor type (buckets that rotate horisontally).

anyway...there is a fundamental issue with any sort of propellor or blade running in fluid ( air or water)

At certain speeds they will be most efficient and least noisy.......if they have been designed to be efficient and quiet at low speeds they will be noiser at high speed.....if they are designed to be efficent and quiet at high speed they will be inefficient at low speed.

A high speed propellor will be fatter toward the centre and quite thin toward the ends, a lower speed propellor will be fatter toward the ends to make it more eficient at low air and rotation speed....its all to do with "tip speed ratio"..that is to do with how fast the tip of the prop is cutting the air as it rotates compared to how fast the bulk of the prop is traveling in the air that goes thru the prop.

There are some very clever things done with blade design, but the basic rule remains.

If you have a relativly cheep and cheerfull machine I doubt that the blade design will be particularly clever.

you may get some minor improvements by making sure there are no rough edges or impediments to smooth airflow over the blades...particularly at the tips........and if you where very clever and particular about keeping the rotor wellbalanced you may be able to modify the blade profile to quiet it a bit......but I recon you are stuck with what you have and the laws of physics.

cheers
AnswerID: 539282

Sponsored Links