Travelling to Western Australia

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 at 18:25
ThreadID: 109535 Views:1714 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are contemplating to travel to W.A. approx. mid to late Nov. from Adelaide with our caravan. Will we have head winds at this time of year? What other driving conditions eg high temperatures would we encounter?
Any good place(s) to stay south of Perth over the Christmas / New year period and beyond? We plan to head north in February up the West Coast from about Denham to Darwin once the dry season commences.
We would prefer a sea side location, but realise that some, if not all, would be booked out, so we are prepared to settle for an inland location if necessary. Any info that you have will be gratefully received.
We assume that we would be able to get into seaside caravan parks prior to Christmas and after school goes back. Thanks all, Regards G.T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 at 22:32

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 at 22:32
Head winds are always a possibility coming from SA you will nearly always be heading into weather. But if there that bad pull up for a day or so it will subside. Temps can get up there i have travelled across around Xmas time and had temps from 35 upwards, but there again if real bad wait out the hot part of the day and travel early morning and afternoon. Try and avoid night time unless experienced as there are a lot of big roo's out there. A lot of the truckies will run through at night so it doesn't hurt to stay out of the way. Christmas and new year in the South west is hectic and pretty packed, if you can, book ahead as much as possible at least along the coast. pick your area carefully and have a good look inland less busy there. There are some really nice spots to spend Xmas New year and longer in the SW of WA. Heading North in February you are heading into the wet season, seriously, unless prepared think twice and leave it go a bit later, i have spent December in Denham and it gets very hot that time of year. Cyclones are still on the cards till about end of April / May so have a plan on what you are going to do in one, at least that way if you get one you can put the plan into action, not start to panic and think what now.
However there is plenty to see South of Perth so i would recommend taking your time coming across, going down the Eyre peninsular, stopping over in every spot possible spending Xmas and New year on the Nullabor, a couple of months mucking about in the SW of WA and then slowly making a run up the coast.
That's my 2 cents worth.
AnswerID: 539230

Reply By: The Greta Bunyip - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 16:12

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 16:12
This might sound a tad obvious but when heading west leave as early as you can. Because there's very little respite from the afternoon sun which you'll be driving straight into after say 330pm - 400pm.
AnswerID: 539253

Sponsored Links