Fridge thermometers.

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:29
ThreadID: 10958 Views:4749 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Oh boy, I've just read a recent post regarding fridge thermometers and internal fans. What a fuss about nothing!!! I wouldn't have believed that there are so many "old women" who go four wheel driving until I read the responses. I have a fridge in the house, the 4wd and the caravan. They all work well and I can confirm at a glance or touch that they are on and working. I think you all need something serious to worry about instead of getting your knickers in a knot over whether your fridge is 4.2 degrees at the bottom or 5.32 degrees at the top! i'm just amazed at all the fuss.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scott_G - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:37

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:37
You would have no idea without a thermometer what the fridge temperature would be. It could be to high or to low and how would you know.
Food storage at the correct temperature is good housekeeping and the proper thing to do. Do you think they have thermometers in the fridges at restaurants supermarkets and anywhere food is stored commercially for fun. Thermometers are recommended for fridges at home. Who wants warm beer
AnswerID: 48960

Follow Up By: sean - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:59

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:59
IMO a thermometer is the ONLY way to go. Some vegies and fruit spoil at freezing and it happened heaps before I got a thermometer.

At 20 bucks they are invaluable.

Sean
FollowupID: 310794

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 00:21

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 00:21
If you're carrying cryovac'd meat, it's pretty important to know what temp your fridge is if the meat is to last several weeks while unfrozen.
Gerry
AnswerID: 48965

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:02

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:02
Thermometer is worth the the fuss and minor cost. More things to go wrong with fridge in 4wd and tougher environment plus for us a long way to go to replace food if something should go wrong. When something does go wrong, early notice can save a lot of food and money not to mention the inconvenience.
IMHO.

RegardsIs it tinea or has it just been too long since the last trip?
AnswerID: 48972

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:47

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:47
I have a Jaycar indoor/outdoor which we used over Christmas. It was 45 degrees in the camper and the fridge was workin hard. When I checked the thermometer it was 2.5 in the fridge. I was able to adjust the settings to bring it to 4.5 and the fridge stopped working as hard. My onboard battery system lasted 4 days at this higher setting.
Worth th $30 i spent in not having to start the genny to recharge the battewry.
Vince
AnswerID: 48975

Reply By: Boeing - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:39

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:39
AndrewX, You have obviously not experienced the rath (spelling) of a female when the lettuce and vegies get frozen. The $20 is worth it just to save that! But the thermometers also keep an eye on the fridge to make sure that a power plug does not get knocked out, if a problem occurs I would like to know sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 48990

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:29

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:29
26 years ago the lettuce froze in my caravan fridge. I had it set on 4. The next day I changed the setting to 1. In the following 26 years I have never had frozen lettuce. Maybe I'm a quick learner but it wasn't exactly rocket science to work it out. My beer is always cold.
FollowupID: 310923

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:24

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:24
G'day AndrewX
Well that worked didn't it! I assume you were after a few bites and you got them. Bloody easy to stir up some of them eh?
I have never seen the need for a thermometer. Been travelling around for yonks. If things are freezing when they shouldn't it's too cold, if they're not and they should be it's not cold enough. I very much doubt that a degree here or there will matter too much. If there's a gadget available some people just have to have one!
AnswerID: 49005

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:32

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:32
Well said Moose. See my followup above too! I wasn't just stirring - I was making a genuine comment on the fuss so many people make about their gadgets. Everything from fridge thermometers to lifted suspensions!
FollowupID: 310926

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:49

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:49
Tomatoes and Lettuce are BANNED on long camping trips for our household or get put in the esky on top of the ice . We'll use alfalfa or sprouts in lieu of lettuce or if it's really, really necessary (like I'm beginning to lose the argument) and if we have room, then the fruit & veg gets put in a sealed container.
Thermometer or not , all drinks, meat etc must be cold and I won't juggle everything else to accommodate food that spoils easily. Just doesn't make sense.

To each his own I say but it's not for me.Live the life you love -
Love the life you live !!!
AnswerID: 49012

Reply By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:28

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:28
Next time your in a pub ask at what temp YOUR beer is actually served at,,less than 2 deg in danger of freezing,,higher than 4 deg any and all will complain of hot beer,,,thermometers are now an absolute necessity to PREVENT any upf ,,also while your there check the temps of the bain maire ,would not like to get sued for food posioning because the temp was to low cause had no thermometer now would we.
AnswerID: 49033

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:38

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:38
Ideal temp for beer is 3.3 degrees (38F) served into a chilled glass!
FollowupID: 310900

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:08

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:08
sorry... have to disagree...I have set many refrigeration systems up to maintain beer at as close to 1 degree C as possible... and at home I keep the beer in our 70litre Trailblaza at 1 degree.
When we're entertaining, I have the beer on ice... my digitemp tells me the beer is served between 0 and 1 degree... IMHO "just right"!!!!!!!
Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 310903

Follow Up By: David N. - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:20

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:20
Agree!
As close to frozen as possible- in fact because of the alcoholic content, you can actually have it slightly below zero!
Only way to go IMHO.
Cheers.
Dave
FollowupID: 310911

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:30

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:30
Gee some of you characters know how to cloud an issue with references to inconsequential issues. What is done in commercial & retailing establishments has nothing what-so-ever to do with the fridge in the back of your wagon.
Broad rules are made by health inspectors & manufacturers as a guide for public health. Once you get the grocery products home you use (I hope) your own common sense about how you pack the fridge and the temp you keep it at. Most domestic fridges have thermostats only and no thermometers, if you want the fridge to feel colder then you turn it down, up, or whatever. I think most people would also carry the cold groceries home in the car boot, and that all seems to survive. So why the sudden urgency to know the exact temp of the portable fridge, maybe you have nothing better to worry about. Relax, enjoy the wildlife.

I never run my fridge in the wagon as it uses gas. I turn it on when we set up camp, only leave it on all night if it's a hot night, otherwise turn it off overnight, then give it another couple of hours on in the morning. We hang a wet towel over the cabinet to assist keep the cabinet cool & we manage to have cold beer etc whenever. Kept some cryovac meat for three weeks in the Kimberley.

Except on extended desert trips when you should carry tinned/dried emergency rations as well, you are never more than a couple of days from a shop. If the fridge packs it in what are you going to do then ? A thermostat wont help to kick start it. There are more important things to worry about on a fridge than the exact temp.

Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 49050

Reply By: Blackie - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 22:01

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 22:01
AndrewX i'm with you I took the temp. guage out of my vehicle. When the steam starts to come out through the grill I know its too hot and when the wipers are frozen to the windscreen I know its too cold.
Whats a few degrees here and there??
AnswerID: 49056

Follow Up By: Scott_G - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 22:10

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 22:10
a few degrees difference can be warm beer food poisoning or food waste
we have always had a thermometer on the home fridge
FollowupID: 310914

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:08

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:08
But Scott I've never needed a thermometer to tell me if beer is cold or warm! I can tell if the fridge is cold!
FollowupID: 310933

Reply By: ianmc - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:17

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:17
A thermo can mean unspoilt food, an indicator of fridge trouble, or a down battery.
A simple tube thermo can be bought for a few dollars & slid into say a 1" clear plastic tube for protection & held in the frig by a wire tie.
Wouldnt be without it.
As for no thermometer on the donk, why not disconnect the alternator light & the oil light as well . The speedo & tacho would then seem irrelevant too as who really wants to be warned of impending trouble particularly in the desert so far from service. Get riud of the brake fluid warning light too & the water level light for the fuel filter & make life really simple.
AnswerID: 49066

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:38

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:38
AndrewX
quoted
"I have a fridge in the house, the 4wd and the caravan. They all work well and I can confirm at a glance or touch that they are on and working." end quote

To Andrew
Not sure how haveing a glance or touching a fridge will tell if it's cold enough on the inside where it counts.

Travelling off road can do all sorts of things to vehicles & FRIDGES, if i'm going for 10 days I take 12 days of food some frozen & some cold.
Ambient temperatures could be zero at night to 45deg in the daytime & even hotter in the truck, thats where a $20 thermometer comes in very handy.

CheersPrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
Only a lady driver would do that
AnswerID: 49081

Sponsored Links