Road condition

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 13:43
ThreadID: 109605 Views:1768 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The road condition report in Exploroz is showing the Cooper Dev. Rd is open to 4wd but the latest map from HEMA shows it to be sealed. We have a 4wd but not an off-road van. Can anyone give me an update please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 14:17

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 14:17
Brad 'n Jenny,

There may have been some rain in that area recently. Most of those single lane bitumen roads are classified as "4wd only" after rain. Sedans etc cruise along happily until they pass another vehicle, and the muddy shoulders drag them right off the black top, into the table drain or worse.

I'd suggest you'll be right, but if the shoulders are a bit wet, and you have to pass a road train, then select a good, hard spot to pull off, well before you pass him/them. Going to be in the mid 30's over the next week, so it will quickly dry out.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 539485

Follow Up By: Member - BRAD n JENNY - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 14:22

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 14:22
Thanks Bob. It'll be about 2 weeks before we get there.
FollowupID: 824107

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:53

Thursday, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:53
Hello Brad n Jenny, I found what seems to be a good resource providing a Map of Cooper Development Road in bonzle.com. We've done the Eromanga to Quilpie bit and it is quite suitable for a road train let alone a caravan. Well funded for oil transport. So apart from keeping clear of road trains and watching for soft shoulders as already advised, you should not have any problems. There were several standard caravans in the Eromanga caravan park indicating you should have no issues. However, from Eromanga to Old Bundeena I can not say. Bonzle says it's bitumised. I'll leave that to others for comment. Sounds like a great trip.
John
AnswerID: 539507

Follow Up By: Member - BRAD n JENNY - Thursday, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:18

Thursday, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:18
Thanks for the info John and I'll have a look at Bonzle plus we'll stop for a day or so at the Nocundra pub and maybe get info there also.
FollowupID: 824155

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Sep 26, 2014 at 13:33

Friday, Sep 26, 2014 at 13:33
Haven't read the report but maybe it is referring to the lower section nearer Tibooburra, which is unsealed. It was in good condition two weeks ago but I can't remember in detail any washouts, which could be an issue looking at your van, as it has a long overhang from the wheels to the rear. Coming the other way from Quilpie, sealed all the way to Noccundra apart from a shortish section approx 80 kms after Eromanga and unsealed all the way to Tibooburra. As suggested above, I would say that road alternates from single lane bitumen, possibly to two lanes, We went Quilpie to Windorah and you wouldn't have any issues there - excellent gravel or single bitumen.
AnswerID: 539552

Follow Up By: Member - BRAD n JENNY - Friday, Sep 26, 2014 at 13:39

Friday, Sep 26, 2014 at 13:39
Thanks Steve for your help
FollowupID: 824191

Sponsored Links