Front wheel hubs temparature?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:48
ThreadID: 10962 Views:2801 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have automatic front wheel hubs on my '89 terrano. When driving hubs get pretty hot. OK, you can't fry an egg on them, but I can't keep my hand on them either. Is this quite normal that hubs get that hot, or is it something that needs attention?
Many thanks!!!When I grow up, I want to be PATROL TDI - Dragan's Terrano

TAR SUCKS!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:38

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:38
Dragan
Mine don't get hot but there could be several explanations.
I had a similar problem on my rear wheels with the wheels/rims getting so hot that the little fake plastic studs melted and 14 of them fell out.
They were literally hot enough to turn water into steam if I threw a bit of water onto it.
The problem ...... siezed brake calipers heating up the brake disc.
First the right side then a few weeks later the left side.
All they needed was a clean-out and then they were fine.
Maybe the whole hub is heating up on yours for the same reason.
Try feeling if the disc rotor is getting very hot as well as the hub section.
Or it could be your bearings are stuffed and heating up.
There are no rotating parts in the auto hubs anyway ... at least there aren't in my auto-hubs.
Cheers
OskarThe real oskar
AnswerID: 49009

Follow Up By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:58

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:58
Hi Oscar,
Didn't know that someone aroud here has a terrano as well, mine is 2 door r3m version td27 engine.
Would you be able to tell me about things I should be carefull of with this car since this is my first 4WD and I have no experience with it.Any problems that you had so far?

Many thanks!!!When I grow up, I want to be PATROL TDI - Dragan's Terrano

TAR SUCKS!!!
FollowupID: 310852

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:43

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:43
the hubs will get a certain amount off heat in them due to the brakes if you can put your hand on the hub without getting burnt and there is no play in the bearing i wouldnt worry about it just normal running heat. Col
AnswerID: 49019

Follow Up By: Dragan - Terrano - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:56

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:56
Well that's my point Colin I CAN'T keep my hand on them. They don't get as hot as Oscar described that they would make steam out of water. somewhere in between I guess. Does lubrication of joints has anything to do with that?

Thnks for the info!!!
FollowupID: 310873

Reply By: V8troopie - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 01:41

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 01:41
Try this: find a flat and not very busy road. drive along on it for a while and then coast to a halt, trying not to use the brakes. Get out and feel the hubs, still as hot?
you have either a dragging brake or the bearings are on the way out. If the brake is dragging the disk should also be very hot (touch carefully). If the disk brake is cool the bearings are stuffed, you'd better fix them soon .
If the hubs are just warm then the heating came from the brakes.

BTW, its not a good idea to pour water on hubs hot enough to make steam. Things might go 'crack'.
Klaus
AnswerID: 49084

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:49

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:49
There are quite a few of us out here.
Have you tried using the term "Terrano" in the search section?
That will get you quite a number of posts.
I'm no expert but over the last 4 years or so I have learned quite a lot about the Terrano, what it can and can't do etc.
We have travelled fairly extensively from the desert to the beach and up into the ranges over much of the east coast states and in some very rough country and have found that the biggest limitation is its ground clearance (mainly in deep, washed out ruts).
The only way to really do anything about that is to fit taller wheels/tyres and that opens up other issues.
Keeping the engine cool is the last challenge now and I think I might have that one beaten at last.
Anyway if you need any help email me at oskarnatski@hotmail.com
As I said I am no expert but have had a lot of experience.
Cheers
OskarThe real oskar
AnswerID: 49097

Reply By: colin - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 16:31

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 16:31
try comparing all 4 corners this should give a fair indication as all corners should run approx. same temp. col
AnswerID: 49149

Reply By: Dan - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 00:14

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 00:14
Hey Dragon, nice looking Terrano you got there. I have a '91 model 2 door 2.7td and its great. Exelent fuel economy on long trips (800k's to a tank). I've had my terrano for three years now and its never let me down, i live in the country so i don't have too much info on city driving. My Terrano runs nice and cool but a friends runs hot so i dont know why there is a difference in the cooling systems but we have not had any probs as of yet. I have heard of a few cases of Terrano's overheating causing the head to crack and the engine cooking resulting in a full rebuild, $4000 plus...., eeeek!
But dont worry , if you keep an eye on the temp guage and service it every 5 thousand K's you should be sweet. If your Terrano seems to be running a little hot it might be an idea to replace the thermostat and fully flush the cooling system and replace the coolant, approx $30 in all.
Another thing i'd do is rust proof the chassis, you can do this yourself by coating the whole underbody with a good grade fish oil, this includes all the inner guards and engine bay.(the Terrano's tend to rust easily when exposed to salty air)
Also the front suspension bushes wearout frequently too, so if the front end starts making noises, especially when turning sharply,be sure to replace the bushes and get a wheel alighnment. $150 approx
Last but no least is the Turbo....
When the turbo gets hot it get reallly hot!, so if you stop and turn the engine off it can damage the turbo system, it can seize up and that means big $$$. So when you have been on along trip or 4bying or just running roun the city for a while on a hot day , just let the car warm down for a few minutes before you turn it off, it may save you $$$ in the long run.
Well Dragon i must be off (im heading to the pub) so have fun in the desert and keep an eye on the temp guage, treat the terrano well and it'll serve you well back.
peace Dan........
p.s Keep in touch, im in Albany W.A
AnswerID: 49344

Sponsored Links