Tow ball weight

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 07:33
ThreadID: 109631 Views:1775 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I own an Avan which is pulled by my Subaru outback, just wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be too much weight over the tow ball area is a put a bike carrier with one adult size bike on using a carrier that clips onto the back of the car, not the van?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 07:56

Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 07:56
Probably not. Remembering that the ball weight of your van forms part of the payload of the car and adding more and more can perhaps run you over the legal GVM of the vehicle.
By the time you include fuel, you and Mum, the house and kitchen sink in the back, hook the van on and the bike you may well be horrified what it all weighs.

AnswerID: 539577

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:06

Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:06
I'm with Tom on this one Sue.
What would the bike and carrier weight ... <10kg I would expect so I hardly think it would have any significant impact.

If you are unsure, why not weigh the jockey wheel and bike etc them go from there and work it out.
AnswerID: 539582

Reply By: 1952 - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 16:17

Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 16:17
If I understand you correctly you want the bike carrier on the car, whilst you have the van attached. Been there and done that with a Dualis, and had damage the first sharp corner I went around, because it swiveled the bike into the back of the car. Not a weight issue, but be careful with clearances.
AnswerID: 539590

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 18:57

Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 18:57
The OP said about using a carrier that clips to the car. Most of them would not let the bike move like a towball one which can swivel.

As long as you keep the handlebars and front wheel from moving they are pretty much ok Probably better going for a roof mount but adds to wind resistance
FollowupID: 824230

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 09:26

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 09:26
Hi Sue,

You will need to check your weights on a weigh bridge so that you have exact measurements of your travelling setup.

No, we can't answer your question because there are far too many variables.

Probably fitting a rack to the rear of the Avan would be a more suitable.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 539673

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:23

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:23
Sue there should be a plate on the tow bar telling you what the maximum towball weight so I would then hook just the van on car leave the hitch open then get your bathroom scales out preferably not the glass type place it under the jockey wheel with a piece of ply to spread the weight zero the scales then lower the jockey wheel till it lifts the hitch off the tow bar then you will know how much the van weight is. Then simply you can place the bike and rack on top to get the combined towball weight it's the quickest and simplest way to do it at no cost to you.
AnswerID: 539680

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:36

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:36
From the OP I would take it he is attaching the bike carrier to the car and that wouldnt affect towball weight in any shape or form.

He asked if it would affect the weight in THAT AREA.

Presumably he is worried about the effect of extra weight at the rear of the overhang of the car.

This would affect the rear axle loading more than anything and should be carefully considered. Anything attached to the car does not affect towball weight but does affect the allowable payload which also includes the weight on the towball.
FollowupID: 824320

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 19:55

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 19:55
Hi Sue

The Avan is probably between 80 and 120 kg on the tow ball depending on which model. Their web site used to have that info. From memory most Subaru's have more than enough capacity to handle that.
I would however check the actual weight of your bike and then add in the weight of the carrier. You could be easily looking at well over 30 Kg.
The issue is the total weight you have on the rear axle of the tow car. That includes the extra weight you load into the vehicle as well as the weight applied on the tow ball.
Check you user manual as it should (hopefully) have the maximum loading allowed.
Regards

A
AnswerID: 539701

Sponsored Links