12volt TV and Waeco

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 08:07
ThreadID: 109642 Views:2058 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, I have a new van with a 100 watt Solar Panel. On a good sunny day how long would I be able to power a 12 volt Waeco freezer and a small 12 volt TV thanks johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 09:11

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 09:11
How big is your battery?
Which fridge and what is its continuous current draw?

Now remember you have said the dirty word...."FREEZER"....you have to calculate on portable fridges running as freezers, running the motor continuously.

The solar pannel can only be relied upon to produce its rated output for about 4 hours in the middle of the day, with clear sky, in summer, in a high solar radiation area.

Even if the panel will keep up with the load, you will be hammering the battery and it will have a short life.

change the word "freezer" to the word "fridge" and run your fridge arround 1-2C and you have a pretty good chance of running continuously.....but you wont have much in reserve to cover winter radiation and overcast conditions

cheers
AnswerID: 539619

Follow Up By: johno59 - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:34

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:34
Thanks Bantam. The freezer is one of those Waecos. I was told by auto electrician they use very little power and that's why they are ideal,for campers??? Thanks johno
FollowupID: 824254

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 11:12

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 11:12
Don't believe everything you are told.

Waeco make a wide variety of fridge products ranging from very small to full sized fridge freezers.

and remember 100watts is very little power when compared to most houshold appliances.

The fact is our mobile, battery powered systems have very restricted capacities and all to often people do not grasp this.

to avoid disapointment you need to account for every bit of current comming and going and optomism does not pay.

Y typical 30 to 40 litre fridge run as a fridge does indeed draw a small AVERAGE current spread over time.....but run that same machine run as a freezer at "recommended safe temperature" will draw 4 to 6 times ( or more) than it would run as a fridge under the same conditions......the motor will run more or less continuoulsy especially if it is freezing stuff down.

there are some articles on this site that may be helpfull or look for books by "Colin Rivers"....."solar that works" is one title that comes to mind.
have a trawl thru the back threads concerning fridges and battery systems.....these and similar issues come up very regularly.

remember 3 things

Solar pannels only output their rated capacity in the strongest sunlight and only for a few hours a day.

Never believe the average current consumption figures published by the fridge manufacturers.....those figures are very optomistic and in real use they draw far more.

It does not pay to be optomistic about current demand, battery capacity or solar output.

cheers
FollowupID: 824255

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 12:36

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 12:36
I have a vehicle laid up in the backyard - to keep the batteries topped up I set my 120w panels up on the roof and it has a Watts meter on it. At the moment (early spring) and clear days the panel only produces 5 ah between 11 and 2 each day and either side of those times much less. It is charging into a 100ah battery with a short cable run and a Mppt regulator.

I connected my small 25l evaKool RV fridge on freeze (very inefficient fridge) for a week and in sunlight the panel managed to keep the battery up but on overcast days the panels could not keep up and the battery drained down a bit but still OK as long as the next day was full sunlight. I think if there had been two consecutive overcast days (the panels produce about 1ah) the battery would have been discharged.

I think the OP setup is marginal and will sustain the system only if there is full sun.
FollowupID: 824259

Reply By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 12:50

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 12:50
What the guys say..Also always setup the fridge freezer from home either 1 or 2 days before a trip on 240volts..Once the food is at its selected temp (fridge/freezer) most fridges are very efficient at keeping it there..

Goodluck.
AnswerID: 539623

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 16:09

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 16:09
It's really hard to say without know the freezer and TV draw and how long the TV will be on for.

For a comparison, I have a 120w panel (from Ray's Outdoor), it keeps 2 set ups going. 1st being 60L Waeco(fridge only) 24hr's and about 4m of LED's for about 6hr's draw from a 120ah battery. 2nd set up 60L Engal fridge/freezer on 24hr's and 2m LED strip again for about 6hr's draw from a separate 120ah.

Having said that, daylight saving time, great weather and moving panel through out the day for optimal performance.

Batteries have never gone down below 80%.

I'd do a test run over a weekend with your set up to see how you go prior to depending on it.
AnswerID: 539631

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 18:33

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 18:33
Hi Johno,

It is difficult to say how long your battery will last. Too many variables come into it.

However I would recommend that you have 2 X 100 Ah batteries and 200 watts of panel and you should be able to do what you want easily.

I assume your small TV is a modern LED type, if not and, it is the old Cathode Ray Tube TV, then I would suggest you change it for one of the modern ones as they are much more economical to run.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 539638

Sponsored Links