A few Waterholes in the Great Victoria Desert

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 21:53
ThreadID: 109654 Views:3271 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Here a few waterholes that I recently came across in the north western part of the GVD.
I've been chasing Peter Muir around again, most of these have been sourced from his writings. All have been entered into the places system unless stated.

The first couple will be more easily accessible if you use the Sholl Range Track.

This plot starts from Wonganoo and ends just past Mulga Queen on the Bandya Banjawarn Road.

Both of these locations are adjacent to the track.
Seven Sisters Gnammas

Gnamma

We tried to find Muir's Hidden waterhole near the range south east of Seven Sisters however, even though we found this one, I'm not sure if it is the right one (not in places)

There is a huge rockhole just south of Mount Waite.

Mount Waite Rockhole

This plot should help guide you there from the main road, please get permission.

The next couple use the Jerrys Bore Track (that's what I call it anyway, it joins the previously mentioned track).

I found this one using GoogleEarth, not sure if it has an official name but for now have called it Windy Hole (it was extremely windy).

Paiyari is a great rockhole at the base of an outcrop. There are also other pools above the rockhole.

Paiyari

Wakulyakutjarra is on the Urarey Warren Bore Road. It is an underground rockhole. In the past there was a windmill and tank here as the remains are still here.

Back near the Great Central Road I noticed Gnamal Rockholes were not in their indicated position on the map so I have corrected this in places.

Gnamal Rockholes

This one is one Carnegie and Luck visited and perhaps Hann as well. Muir also visited it. This Hann inscription was here when Muir was here. This one is not in places. I spent two or three hours looking for this one, around hills, over boulders, using landforms to guide me only to find an old disused track leading to it.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 22:22

Sunday, Sep 28, 2014 at 22:22
Hi Alan.
Great effort finding those places. Its a shame that most of his books are so difficult to get hold of. To do what he did most times using storys passed down from local elders or family and then finding them most times alone and making his own roads sometimes and with a short wheel base landrover. He hasnt received enough recognition.

Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 539656

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 03:00

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 03:00
Great report Alan,

You found some real beaut RHs that for sure, then you top it off with a Hann (one of my favourite explorers) inscription.

Thanks for sharing.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 539665

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:02

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:02
Hi Phil,
Hann certainly got around the place didn't he. You could spend a month out in that general area and still not see all the features that he visited.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 824313

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 07:44

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 07:44
Hi Alan

Great finds and thanks for sharing with everyone here on EO.

There must be so much to still find out there that has not yet been discovered.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 539670

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:04

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:04
Hi Stephen,
Thanks and I imagine there are heaps more sites out there just waiting for someone to come along and find them.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 824314

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 09:39

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 09:39
hi alan
you have excelled with your exploration and ability again to locate these amazing sites
out in the great Victoria desert thanks for sharing them
the water in those holes looks rather polluted and I think one would be at great risk of getting horribly crook if you drank it
but then on the other hand you may well die if you didn't and was out of water between a rock and a hard place so to speak
in the second paiyari photo there appears to be what looks like a snake on the right side of the picture but it probably is a stick as I think it looks like it has grey silt on it and im sure massie would have sussed it out?
it's just that the stick/snake ? is following the ground contour like a snake would
cheers barry
AnswerID: 539675

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:10

Monday, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:10
Hi Barry,
I had to second glance at that one, however it is a stick.

I agree the water is not that inviting, as you say though you would drink it if you have to. To myself though in this day and age it is just interesting to get a bit of history, a bit of understanding of how people used to live.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 824315

Sponsored Links