suspension law update

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:14
ThreadID: 10966 Views:5067 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am a liitle confused, i have been advised by my local TJM and ARB oulet that the
laws for suspensions lifts have changed to 2 inches only,and 2 inch body lift. If this is true why then are people driving around with 3,4,5 and 6 inch lift kits and body kits that are not for comp use.And also tyre size increase as well. Is it indeed illegal and if illegal does that void your insurance and are you more likely to be pulled over by the authorities.I am also wondering do the laws change from state to state or is it all the same nation wide.
What prompted this was reading through the 4WD Monthly mag and looking at the customer vehicles.Confused ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pelesino - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:25

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:25
Interesting, I am about to fit a 2" lift kit in my patrol.
AnswerID: 48996

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:45

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:45
Don I saw that article in 4x4 monthly as well.Ive been doing a suspension makeover and naturally you look at everyone elses lift and I noticed nearly all the BIG lifts had work orders on them. A good sign someone is out there enforcing it.
This is in Perth, but I suspect with the trend towards standardising transport rules it will spread to other states.
AnswerID: 48999

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:22

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:22
2 inch (or 50mm) Suspension lift is considered normal. RTA and Insurance Co's accept that. I believe a 2 inch Body lift can also be done, cause that about the max , that standard parts can be used before , increasing brake lines etc etc.

You can get bigger lifts engineered , but I don't know exactly what each state allows.

As for tyres, you can only increase the tyre size by 15mm over the max tyres size shown on your tyre placard. You can also get it engineered to run bigger tyres , but that can be an insurance nightmare.

There is a lot of guys running bigger tyres then that, and technically they are illegal , which then voids your insurance , even if your insurance co has agreed to cover larger tyres.

Whether the guys doing this , don't know , or just take their chances, I don't know , but its somethign you need to be aware of.

PS, I'm aware NSW are cracking down on oversize tyres.
AnswerID: 49004

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:19

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:19
Nope, any body lift needs to be engineered..
FollowupID: 310946

Reply By: Charlie - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 17:47

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 17:47
The 15mm tyre rule is pretty stupid when you consider it applies both to the smallest and largest tyres running on the road.Allowing a modest 25mm increase would make most cars roadworthy with very little effect on car safety
Regards Charlie.
AnswerID: 49029

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:40

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:40
I don't think it is a case of the laws being changed, but that they are going to be enfoeced a little more rigidly.

Here in WA it is (or is going to be) the case that a 2'' lift is OK but anything above that will require an engineers certificate, including an expensive "lane change test".

The laws are indeed different from state to state. In WA you are not allowed to increase the rolling diameter of your tyres from what is supplied as OE, bit other states have plus or minus 15mm or 25mm.Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 49035

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:44

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:44
How does limiting the amount of rubber someone wants to put on the road making cars safer?Should probally go do some work instead of playing on this forum!
AnswerID: 49038

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:00

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:00
Jeff,

I guess the way they think is that a tyre thats say 7% bigger also impairs the braking by 7%.
FollowupID: 310907

Follow Up By: troy - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:07

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:07
It's more along the line of the goverment thinking - if a person can spend X amount of dollars on big rubber then they want a piece of the pie. So they bring in new laws so that people who do this will have to pay a 'tax'.
Its not about safety (that is what they want you to think) its about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Its the government ....
Just my thoughts.
Troy
FollowupID: 310908

Reply By: wizzer - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:50

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:50
Here in WA I rang the transport dept a couple months ago about this issue and was told the max you can go was 50mm higher. that is combination of suspension,tyres and body lift. If you want to go higher you will have to present the vehicle for examination and maybe lane change test.

wizzer
AnswerID: 49040

Reply By: Member - Don74 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:58

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:58
So obviuosly we at the hands of the authorities.And all of the 4wders who have
had the mods done have to be weary,for one day we and our vehicles may be taken off the road. Obviuosly a touchy subject depending on who you talk too.Can then the fitters or the 4wd shops who do this, are they liable for the lift kits they put in when they know that what they have done may conflict with the law. A
lot more homework and research needs to be done to set a lot of people straight.
Thankyou for your responses
AnswerID: 49053

Reply By: ianmc - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:05

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:05
So all the above makes the popular 205x16 swap to a 30x9.5 or 245x16 illegal, eg a 30-35 mm width increase. The popular 31X10.5 (about 265mm) would be out of the question even if some models variations come out with 265x16's or wider.
Hey, its gone mad.
AnswerID: 49063

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:31

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:31
My car is fully engineered for bigger tires, and suspension, and body lift..

My car, my choice..

WTF should some fat piece of bleep in Canberra, or a Melbourne polly etc that DONT EVEN DRIVE VEHICLES THEMSELVES, make a law that affects me? What experience do THEY have? Just a bunch of wanks trying to appease the minorities. AGAIN..

You can drive any modded car if its engineered to state the mods are safe... Mate had his car engineered with 37inch tires, and 9inch lift all up... suspension and body lift. yea he does competitions.
AnswerID: 49070

Reply By: Alex_W - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:33

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:33
Folks,

My understanding of the laws in WA is that any suspension modifications which changes the original ride height of the vehicle must be certified. Anything over 50MM gets the swerve and lane-change test. Anything under 50MM the inspection is pretty painless but it costs you.

I'm now driving around with nicely laminated "Motor Vehicle Modification Approval" issued by the transport (licencing division) of the Department of Transport in my glovebox. The certificate details exactly what was done to the car, by whom, the new eyebrow height and the tyre size. My insurance company has a copy of the certicate and my wallet is a little lighter than it used to be...

Personally I wouldn't give the insurance companies any excuse to dishonour an otehrwise legitimate claim.
AnswerID: 49079

Sponsored Links