Leaking Vans....

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:17
ThreadID: 109666 Views:2092 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have all read or know of this issue, but it appears to be more & more prevalent.
Friends picked up brand new van on NSW south coast & drove through rain to
Newcastle...Result..bedding soaked & water ingress in at several points through poptop roof. On opening the front boot found 3" of water sloshing around.
Owners ring manufacturer & are referred to local agent. Agent says bring it in.
3 weeks later advises repairs complete. Inspection reveals stained bedding & mattress,
walls & upholstery ditto. No way say owners..fix or replace. Van still at agents. Did you
fix front boot ?..Answer..no problem just pull plug out & water drains out....
Owner has mega dummy spit & threatens agent & manufacturer with a fate worse
than death.
Result..repairs being done.
Will advise on outcome & reveal make & model & agent .
...not bloody good enough, is it ???.....oldbaz.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:28

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:28
A somewhat better story. 3 Year old Van, leak developed in the front, but only whilst travelling in the rain.

Rang dealer, who rang Builder. Builder rang me said "Looks like a problem for me, bring it in I'll fix it".

36 hours later, front off van, replace internal lining, replace some framing which was damp, replace and reseal front cladding.

All good no charge.

So from all of this, I guess we do expect the odd problem with a van, but it is how the dealer and builder handle it that really matters.
AnswerID: 539720

Reply By: wholehog - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:43

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:43
You only have to look at the plethora of van manufacturers out there, predominantly from Victoria/Campbellfield, new ones and brands, several every year going belly up, google a bit and see whats really out there with problems, construction types and materials.

Too many people buying only with the knowledge/observation of the inside surface and the outside surface, and with 1 criteria as the primary decider...PRICE.

You get what you pay for....buyer beware.
AnswerID: 539721

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:33

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:33
And sometimes you don't get what you pay for regardless of price and don't get any after sales service either.
I've documented in the past the probs we had with our Goldstream and the pig ignorant attitude of the retailer who refused to fix anything which required more than a tube of silicone or a quick tighten up, but one problem they did fix was the leak around the pop top.
This appeared to be caused by the outer and inner metal clamp which the material of the skirt goes into, being the same height. Obviously bad design but to give the retailers service/warranty section their due they did fix this fault immediately.....with lavish application of silicone inside and out.
Did the job though and the van is now as far as we know water tight although we haven't had such rain as that for a long time.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 824378

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2014 at 15:40

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2014 at 15:40
There is a lot to be said for buying direct from the factory rather than a Dealership or other retailer. I figure these are just another cost centre and an opportunity for mis-communication or no communication or other excuses in the chain between manufacturer and the end user.

Personally we have great service from Bushtracker who must rank as the No1 benchmark for customer service and we have been on the road in our original van for over nine years.

John

AnswerID: 539762

Sponsored Links