Battery Drain Limitations

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 14:57
ThreadID: 109712 Views:1826 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have the DIG Options Camera recording device connected to a front camera.
I am having problems getting a constant video picture as it seems to lose its settings when the ignition is turned off and on.
That is, I set up the SD card/camera in the settings, the recording starts (as described in the brochure) and the video picture is taken. I then turn off the ignition. (I check the SD card to see if it is recording).
The next day, I start the car, the DVR starts recording (according to the indicator lights) but when I look at the SD card on the computer, I find that there is no picture. Somehow the system loses its settings - or something.

The next option I am trying, is to wire up the recording device permanently to the power so it is not affected by the ignition. This way it will be recording all the time. I can set it to 'motion record' so it only starts when there is some kind of motion. It stops recording after no movement for 30 secs.

That's the background.

As the recording unit draws 1000mA (1 amp), will I affect the battery state of charge if I leave it permanently connected to the power? Can the battery cope with that amount of constant discharge?

Thanks for any help

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 15:06

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 15:06
You could buy one of thesehttp://completevms.com.sg/car-cam/power-magic

Cheaper on Ebay It allows you to set the park recording time and also the low voltage cutoff point.

The other way to try it is to connect it directly to the battery for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

I have installed several of these and find that the usual reason is a low or stuffed battery that draws all the current when starting and upsets the camera.

Have installed 7 Blackvue cameras in various makes of vehicles.

Have a spare Power Magic in the cupboard actually.
AnswerID: 539914

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 15:35

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 15:35
if its cnstantly drawing 1 amp...consider that typical car batteries are about 40 to 50 amp hour and 4wd batteries are typically 70 to 100 amp hour.

leave it running and you will have a dead flat battery in a day or two iff the battery is healthy and fuly charged when you start.

if the battery is a few years old and below spec, you may have a flat battery in a day.

I think you need to be getting the problems sorted out with the device and get it operating like it should or return it as faulty.

a couple of things to check.

are you saving the settings

is there some sort of memory back up battery in the unit that is past it

is there a second supply to the unit just to hold up the memory

cheers
AnswerID: 539915

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:44

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:44
Thanks Bantam,
I am having trouble getting answers from the supplier. been trying for a few months - trying to find a solution myself!

1. I have received a replacement unit and there are the same problems.

2. There doesn't seem to be a save function. The unit actually keeps the date constant, it's the video picture that goes away. I get a black screen with the correct date in the corner, so I think the settings are OK.

3. There is no battery backup in the unit.

4. No secondary supply cable. Just the one power cable.

I am trying again with the supplier, but they have trouble understanding the Queen's English it seems.

I will have to get the current draw checked if I can by a lecky and seem if it really is 1 amp.

Thanks

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825574

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:47

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:47
Post a link to the camera and I will have a look at it Have played with numerous ones beside the Blackvue which are over $200 and subscribe to the theory you get what you pay for.

Most of the cheapy chinese units are low res and dont last long.

I can read number plates with mine.
FollowupID: 825575

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:54

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:54
Thanks Bantam,
This is the website with all the details of the recording unit. The camera is good, hi res etc.
Its the actual recorder that doesn't like being turned off.

DVR Recording Unit

cheers

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825577

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 21:16

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 21:16
Hi Bantam,
I am going to try and send a PDF of the setup instructions.

Yes, I know they are hard to understand without the unit, but thats all I got to go with!

Looking for a wiring diagram,but it is fairly simple:-

1x power cable
1x video in (from the camera)
1x video out (to the stereo unit for displaying on screen)

The camera works as I can see it on the screen - it doesn't record!!

Thanks

Its a big file - sorry

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825578

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 13:22

Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 13:22
Have you formatted the SD card correctly. It could be the problem

Looking at the specs it is by no means High Definition.

My rear camera is the higher def of the two mentioned and it will not read numberplates of a car 2 lengths behind me.

You really need one which is 1920 x 1080 to get quality video which will read plates when steady.
Have played with various cameras for the past 4 years and have found that the ones I have are good for what they do and the cheap lower res ones were not.

Here is what I mean about the plates.https://vimeo.com/108022274

Guess where it is taken Its a nations capital
AnswerID: 539950

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 14:25

Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 14:25
Washington DC!

Yes, I played with the formatting and it will record when I step through the settings and sit and let it run for a while.

Then I turn the car ignition off - stereo and DVR shut down.

Next day, start it up and no video recording.

I think the supplier is going to get a phone call Tuesday and I will try to pin him down to a solution or admit that there have been problems with other customers.

Hard to get answers when you are in different parts of the country!

Thanks for your help and interest.

I will persevere....

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825625

Sponsored Links