Qwiklift WDH

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 15:04
ThreadID: 109713 Views:4811 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Is anyone using the Qwiklift weight distribution hitch. Do u have to unhook them when backing up or not. How do they compare to the HR brand.
Cheers Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobjl - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:58

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 20:58
The Qwiklift looks identical to Eazlift WDH. I have been using Eazlift for more than four years and have probably covered more than 60,000 k's towing large vans. I am happy with the performance of the Eazlift system. It is critical with most WDH that you get your WDH set up correctly so as to allow you have at least 6 chain links in play [refer to respective product manufacturers instruction of course]. Even with that number of links, it is usually still necessary to remove the bars prior to backing up if sharp turn involved such as backing onto a park site. In any case it is a simple task to remove them prior to heading to a site to back in. Having had a look at the Qwiklift site, their product does look a lot like Eazlift so expect that they will perform well [assuming that they are USA manufactured].

Bob

AnswerID: 539933

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 07:58

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 07:58
Hi Bob,
While I have not done as many miles as you have I too reckon these Eazelift types of WDH units are the best.

Although, I had to put my Eazelift bars in the press to bend the ends of them down to allow more links for swinging purposes. The Eazelift are a better type as they provide a much greater bearing area in the pivots. This reduces wear and provides better stability in the arms.

There is some adjustment capabilities in the head unit but it tips the tow ball backwards. Not a good solution in my opinion and that is why I bent the ends downward. They are so much better than the original HR units and that is probably why HR now use a similar system to Eazelift.

My nephew has the old HR trunnion type and I have had to rebuild them due to excessive wear. In the process I increased the amount of bearing surface to reduce the wear factor. Why HR could not , or did not, do this I can't imagine unless it was a planned obsolescence issue.

The six link rule should apply to all of them IMHO.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825660

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:31

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:31
Bruce, I had not considered bending the bars to acheive the additional links, seems a very good option provided you have access to equipment needed. I actually put a 100mm riser on top of the draw bar, I also left the tall tow post [5 ton articulated Eaz Hitch] facing slightly to the van and can attach van coupling easily. Those tweeks now mean I can have entire chain in play so hard roundabout turns no longer an issue with my biggish rig. Likely similar to yourself, I have seen too many vanners with as few as four links in play and on close inspection the WDH Hangers are distorted due to for/aft stress. Regrettably some van retailers do not provide enough advice to customers to assist to avoid these potentially serious issues.
Bob
FollowupID: 825685

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:54

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:54
Bob,
I am of the impression many of these Van retailer staff are only concerned with getting it on your vehicle and getting you out of their yard. Either that or they have not used the WDH units and so are unfamiliar with the pitfalls.

Actually the press I used was a 40 tonne hydraulic block splitter. It did a marvelous job .... it did. LOL.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825690

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 21:44

Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 21:44
petza, where is your link so we know what you are referring to?

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 539969

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 08:11

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 08:11
Here is a link Peter.

Eazlift WDH link

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825663

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 12:44

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 12:44
Actually it's not the link.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825681

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:01

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:01
Hit the wrong button, try again.

Actually it's not the link. This is the link. There are many other similar round bar systems that look the same that could have been imported that have very similar bars. The models include Reese. Husky,Pro Series,CURT and several others. There are many other types such as Reese SC, Blue-Ox, Andersen and many others. If you are going to provide an answer you should be accurate.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825683

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:23

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:23
Same horse, same jokey, different colours, that's all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825684

Reply By: Member - petza - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:10

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:10
Peter
I found them in the latest caravan & motorhome magazine. But the link is
Www.rvtowingsolutions.com.au
Cheers Petza
AnswerID: 539991

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:26

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:26
Petza, my link takes you directly to the equipment on the same site as yours. No need for extra clicking.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825692

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:35

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:35
The Qwiklift WDH is a copy of the HR standard round bar and other similar round bar WDH. One advantage of the HR heads is there seems to be more adjustment in the fore and aft plane ( the HR has 12 positions where as the Pro Series has only 6.)

The question ablut removing the bars before manoeuvring in caravan parks - they are all similar products (carbon copy?) so the rules apply equally to all. It's best to remove them when you first arrive at your destination.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 539993

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 16:40

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 16:40
PeterD
The link that Bruce attached was for Eazlift not Qwiklift. The link that you attached is obviously for the latter. If you view both products you will see the similarities, from what I can see it seems possible [note possible] it is a re-branded Eazlift or good copy, obviously need to see in the flesh. I note that Qwiklift product uses same codes for various bars and bits as Eazlift?

For what it is worth I have used both the original HR and current Eazlift products, I switched to Eazlift after developing wear in trunnions and annoying noises - I found similar benefits in Eazlift to those Bruce mentioned. I have noted HR have released a parralell fitting similar to Eazlift/Qwiklift and expect that product would be pretty good.

Seems all agree removal of bars is essential.
Cheers
Bob
FollowupID: 825706

Sponsored Links