H55F 5speed rebuild, LONG spline cog is it any good is not?

Submitted: Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:04
ThreadID: 109730 Views:4184 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
The old 5 speed needs an overhaul and last time it needed a main output shaft as the spline where one cog sits was worn, rest of shaft was fine.
I have seen aftermarket type cogs that sit on this shaft which have a longer splined section to spread the load along the shaft spline and they claim lasts much longer.
Terrain tamer have one and another I think is the McNamara gear.
However when I search various forums and google I do not seem to be able to find any feedback good or bad.
Are they relatively new?
Are they seldom used?
Are they a good idea but when most blokes say ONLY put Toyota parts in box or will not get the km, does this apply to these cogs as well?

Regards
Geoff 17
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 16:59

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 16:59
G'day Geoff,

The output shaft does wear the splines where the input gear to the transfer drives.
The replacement aftermarket gears you are thinking of come in 2 types. There is one which replaces the worn original but you discard the plain spacer so that the replacement which is much wider now has an unused section of spline to run on and you retain your PTO drive gear. Only important if you already have or intend to fit a PTO driven winch or some other accessory.
From memory the other did away with both the plain spacer and the PTO gear and used a much wider replacement gear. Not important if no PTO accessories. Going from memory I don't think anyone offered a gear that did both but that may have changed.
A mate of mine used one on a 1993 ute maybe 12 or so years ago and it was still going when he sold it some 3 or 4 years ago. From memory I think it came from some mob in Melbourne.
I think the trick to making either the original or a replacement last a bit longer is to remove the tin cover directly behind the end of the output shaft every so often and make sure the retaining nut is tight.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 539998

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff 17 - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 20:03

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 20:03
Hi Pop

Thanks for your input, at least I know they have been around for a while and that they maybe a good fix.

Still seems strange how there does not seem to be a lot of info regarding the longer spline cog if it is such an issue with the H55f

Regards
Geoff 17
FollowupID: 825716

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 20:30

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 20:30
I'm not sure the wear could be termed as such an issue. Like most things when they start to wear the process speeds up as the wear gets worse. Going back a bit but from memory the mate's had done something like 250,000 or more and even then it was driving and probably would have gone a fair bit longer but the backlash was a bit of a concern.
I guess the options you have are to give it a go or replace the mainshaft and drive gear with standard bits again and from memory they were poisonously expensive. Even an aftermarket one.
You didn't say how old and how many k's you Cruiser was.
I guess the other consideration is whether you plan on keeping it much longer.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 825719

Follow Up By: Life Member - Terry 80FTE - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 22:40

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 22:40
As Pop said keep the nut tight once sorted. when loose this is also a reason that oil passes between transmission and transfer cases, apart from worn seal and flattened "O" rings on the idler shaft.
Don Kyatt may be worth a try for the long spline gear.
Cheers
Justify Your Existence
VKS 737 mobile 2458

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825726

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff 17 - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 08:24

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 08:24
Hi Pop + Terry

I hear what your saying re the std cog doing a reasonable job anyhow, and like you say if its good for 250k well that would do I am sure.
Also I think to myself if the modified gears are bit less in quality than the Toyota as most would agree applies to other after market gearbox parts, then the long spline cog may help the spline but also may wear teeth sooner in any case????
The box was rebuilt only 150k ago in town, and I know should be fine. But 50% time its towing heavy load (only in 4th).
The job started with box starting to leak in TC and so was going to just do that on vehicle but looks like odd oil drip from bell housing so thinking rear main or front box seal.
I didn't want to do the lot due to cost and time, but if only do TC and then soon have to do rest then I have wasted time / effort.
not sure who to take it too and have been gathering info from forums how to do and have FSM Toyota but still bit scared. But also have had SOOOOOO many stuff ups in town at least I know what's been done.
when it was last built - still have receipts - they put new main rear shaft Toyota in, but NOT the offending cog, not sure why as back then I was more trusting and just dropped it off and expected a good job at the boss was ex Toyota workshop manager and does know lots, but they cannot control workers all the time.
how ever the box has / is going well apart from oil to TC, but it also is becoming a bit noisy under load in 4th, but maybe I am just listening too hard.
in 2 minds if better to do now and maybe mostly just bearings or do another 100k and then full job? but then still got the issue of rear main or front seal.
last time box was done, they had to pull out 2nd time as syncro on 2nd or 3rd from memory completely stopped after about 1 week, when they pulled apart they said had small bit of plastic stuck in syncro, and they admitted it had also happened on the last box they did also, but they didn't seem to know where it could come from which seemed odd to me as there would be few possibilities, but now going over all the part # they have listed in invoice back then they are all correct except the plastic bit under the gear stick which they part # they have is only listed for hilux and 75 series etc. so I wonder if that was cause of plastic bit?

Regards
Geoff 17
FollowupID: 825728

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff 17 - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 08:30

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 08:30
Hi Terry

Its interesting both you and Pop mention keeping the nut tight. I havnt come across this in my google searching as yet.

When you say flattened O-rings on the idler shaft, this is the TC idler I take it?

I have got a double lip seal for the job which is supposed to be better.

Also I am considering changing the TC breather to a hose to a small filter in the engine bay as I have read that it plays a role in the seal failing as there is a small spring in the breather which means when the TC oil 1st heats every drive there becomes a small pressure build up in the TC to dislodge the breather which the pressure applies to the seal???

Regards
Geoff 17
FollowupID: 825729

Follow Up By: Life Member - Terry 80FTE - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 22:33

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 22:33
Hi Geoff,

Yeah the "O" rings I mentioned are on the transfer idler shaft,
if you are getting gear noise in 4th it could be due to the same idler shaft and roller bearings wearing,
The plastic seat under the gearshift pivot is prone to breaking up after a fair while and I think only came in 2 sizes back then to suit whichever transmission.
If it's badly deteriorated will give a noise like badly worn gears due to metal to metal contact rattling.
Extended breathers are always good anyway.

Cheers
Justify Your Existence
VKS 737 mobile 2458

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825776

Follow Up By: mike39 - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:11

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:11
Hi Geoff.
If you want to send me an email; bushyx2 at bigpond dot com I could have some useful information for you.
Mike
FollowupID: 825786

Sponsored Links