Fishing gear for beginners?

Hi community,

I am planning a trip up Cape York for the next weeks. I travel from overseas and have been fishing only once or twice in my life. Now being in Australia it seems to be one of the major recreational activities and since I want to experience Australian lifestyle I thought about giving it a try.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money and it seems to me that many stores try to sell you stuff you don't need. I recon a multi-purpose fishing rod with some equipment etc. would be something I would like to buy so I can use it for fishing in rivers as well as maybe from rocks along the coastline?

How much would I need to invest and is there like a standard starter set up that someone could write me down to buy? Would you recommend a specialty store (dont know if Cairns has one) or just a general BCF or outdoor store?

Cheers

Philipp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 13:21

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 13:21
My suggestion is to buy nothing and spend your money on a good charter fishing trip instead and enjoy the experience
There is a lot of water between the fish and like any activity it is an artform that requires knowledge and experience to be successful. They say that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish

There are lots of specialty setups for different fish and fishing styles so you are better off just giving it a go and see what appeals to you so that you can later buy the most suitable outfit for your needs
AnswerID: 540084

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 13:34

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 13:34
best advice you will get right there
FollowupID: 825810

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 15:01

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 15:01
Also learn to keep a good 5 meters back from the waters edge when fishing rivers up that way.
People like eating barramundi and so do crocodiles.
Crocodiles also don't mind snacking on fisherman.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 540090

Reply By: PGU - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 18:19

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 18:19
So basically don't get fishing gear :-) I thought I would just buy a bit of equipment and give it a bit of try out.
AnswerID: 540099

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 18:58

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 18:58
Why not go and buy a couple of handlines, a light one (around 4kg bs) and a good heavy one (40-50kg bs), an assortment of hooks and an assortment of sinkers.

Learn how to throw them some distance into the water, bait up, sit down and wait.

You could well be surprised with the results BUT as others have said Don't get too close to the edge/bank. Crocs are non selective feeder so keep your eyes and ears open.

Disco.
FollowupID: 825839

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 20:22

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 20:22
As I said above there is a big open question that does not have a straight forward answer until you can further define the question but buy all means you can buy a basic setup as a starter. Rather than the larger BCF style stores I would look for one of the independent stores like a Tackleworld type franchise
There is a better chance of getting pointed in the right direction and gaining some helpful knowledge from that style of store than the supermarket type but as I said before there is so much more to be gained from fishing with a professional
I have fished all my life but when I go to new areas like the Cape etc I pay for a guide as you cannot beat local knowledge and you usually do not have enough time at a particular place to gather your own

FollowupID: 825850

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 19:27

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 19:27
Phillip a six foot light to medium action rod line class around the six kilo a egg beater spin reel with a line capacity of around two hundred metres of six or so kilo line if a real beginner i would suggest staying with mono and not using braided line. A combo from BCF would do ugly stik do a reasonable looking one the balance combo for about 120, a few packets of hooks don't make the mistake of getting to big a hook small is ok so long as they are quality a few ball sinkers. Do a bit of research on different types of rigs, you could always buy the pre made ones. A couple of lures, nilsmaster and yozuri are quality and good actions, and a few plugs which are the basic metal slices with some weight so it is easier to cast. Learn your tidal movements walk the beach with a good set of polaroids you maybe surprised at what you see use this link to plan when you fish http://www.tides4fishing.com/au. That is where the metal lures will shine, the other traditional lure types are better around structure like fallen trees mangroves and such. Keep your wits about you and stay out of the water, try and avoid daybreak and dusk until you get the hang of it as that is prime predator time. One thing you have to know if a lure snags up leave it, I had a italian guy on tour once who insisted on fishing a river while i set up camp i told him under no circumstance was he to go into the water half way through setting up camp i look up to see him waist deep trying to retrieve a lure that was snagged up and a smallish croc about thirty feet away on the surface checking him out. I got him out and wouldn't allow him near the water alone again no lure is worth your life if it snags up break it off and leave it.
AnswerID: 540103

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 17:22

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 17:22
can't offer much more than already said other than buy your gear near to where you intend to fish as the local shop will know more than they do in Sydney/Melbourne etc

Can't emphasise the croc threat enough - a bloke was taken only a couple of months ago doing exactly what Karl described above. The guy got snatched retrieving a lure and those buggers are so quick you don't even get chance to yell or scream.
FollowupID: 825894

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 18:23

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 18:23
I never go anywhere without a rod, reel, a few lures and some hooks and sinkers.
A charter is just not the same.
Fishing is more than just catching a few fish although those you catch yourself are fresher and taste better than you can even imagine.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 540140

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:35

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:35
Agree with you Peter but the OP said he has only fished once or twice in his life and is heading to the Cape which offers excellent fishing experiences if you know what you are doing or get the opportunity
I would make the most of what is a fishing trip of a lifetime for many anglers and not waste it soaking a prawn on a hook off the pier like you would do in many typical holiday locations
That was more what I was getting at
I have caught personal bests up there with the aid of a guide with other mates dragging their boats up there from Melbourne only to go home near empty handed
Having said that, I enjoy fishing whether catching fish or not
FollowupID: 825905

Sponsored Links