Tow Hitches

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 13:27
ThreadID: 109764 Views:2381 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi need some advise from the experts about tow hitches,i currently have a Wesco 6000kg coupling set up on my van,and yes the van is big and heavy( 25ft 4 ton).
When i go to unhook most of the times it wont release,i have to jump on the back of the truck to get it to release.It has an adjusting bolt on the side of the coupling which i have closed up and then slowly undone to try and find the right spot didnt work left it open.
Sometimes i will pull up and it will wind off perfectly the next time it jams,and if i happened to be not level no hope in the world it will release.
I have also been told if it wont release to get in my truck start it up and put it into neutral so it will find the center this has worked sometimes but not 100%.
So what sort of hitches do you run where you dont have an issue with.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 13:45

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 13:45
Keep the hitch as clean as possible and use some spray on white lithium grease.

Good luck with it…

Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 540129

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 14:00

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 14:00
Humpback, there's no reason why you should have major problems with a Wesco hitch when uncoupling - apart from pressure on the hitch due to either 'van or vehicle brakes not being set.
Wesco are a good hitch, I have used them for over 45 years and never had a major problem with them.

If either 'van or vehicle is not on level ground, and brakes are not effectively set on both, then you'll always have problems unhitching.
Having one on a level area, while the other is on an angled slope will cause unhitching difficulties.

The other area to examine is whether dirt or some metal protrusion (unfinished edge on the casting), or some other contaminant is stopping the hitch release latch from lifting away from the ball far enough, to allow the ball to slip out.
You may need to do some grinding with a pencil grinder or Dremel tool to clean up any protrusions.

Here's what I'd also do. Lube the latch sliding portion and the inside of the hitch where the ball sits, with a good dry lubricant (door lock spray lube is good - don't use ordinary grease, it will only dry out and go gummy with dusty roads).

Remove your towball and lift the latch release and insert the towball into the latch. If you don't want to go to the trouble of removing the towball, source a spare towball that is new or in good condition.

Release the latch and clamp the towball in position.
Adjust the adjusting bolt in, until it clamps securely on the ball.
Back it off half a turn until the ball can be swivelled easily with just a small amount of clearance.
You don't want a lot of clearance, this will cause regular "clunking" when towing.

Pull up the release latch and ensure the towball releases cleanly with plenty of clearance between the latch and ball.
This clearance between latch and towball should be around 2 or 3mm at a minimum.
If the towball only just barely comes out with the latch fully lifted, then you need to increase the latch travel, by grinding the latch release mechanism or hitch casting, where the interference is occurring.

You can also check the leading edge of the latch in the curved portion that fits under the ball, for sharp edges or roughness, that could also be creating difficulties in towball release.
Be careful about grinding too much off this area, you just need to have a smooth, curved finish, that facilitates release of the towball.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 540131

Reply By: BunderDog - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 17:45

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 17:45
We changed over to McHitch a couple of years ago and can highly recommend.

McHitch 4.5 ton hitch
AnswerID: 540137

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 07:53

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 07:53
2 x the McHitch Coupling, fantastic coupling with no problems, basically self aligning and easy to couple and unhitch every time,
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825921

Sponsored Links