Blocked Gas Regulator

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 18:14
ThreadID: 109783 Views:3387 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Frig works on AD & DC Gas Stove works. Frig does not work on gas. Have replaced regulator and noticed oily coating on joiner fitting. New reg worked well for 4 days, then frig lost its coolth overnight. When replacing regulator I did not empty and refill gas cylinder. I am thinking that I may be able to flush out the regulator with a solvent under air pressure. Before I change Gas and regulator, can the BANTAM or any one advise how else to regain coolth.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:26

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:26
There is a good chance that the gas jet is partially blocked, I hAVE the same problem with mine at the moment. Banray.
AnswerID: 540233

Reply By: SuperGrover - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:39

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:39
I had a similar problem with my gas line recently and also thought it was the regulator but it appeared that there was a small amount of contaminant that got into the line which blocked the flow of gas.
I disconnected the caravan side of the regulator and then went to the furtherest point on the gas line and connected my air compressor and this blew out the offending dirt/particle. As you say your stove is working so gas is making it to this point so if you are competent you may trying to disconnect the fridge gas connection and see if gas escapes when you do this. Obviously all safety precautions need to be taken. If no gas is at this point disconnect the regulator and connect your air compressor and blow out the line. If there is ample gas at the connection then you can narrow it down to possibly a blocked or partially blocked gas jet.
AnswerID: 540235

Follow Up By: philip t jones - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 21:27

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 21:27
I had to do the same with mine after my regulator stuffed up
FollowupID: 826013

Follow Up By: martycon - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:37

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:37
Thanks all. I did not mention that the frig burner is actually burning, but the flue vent is not as hot as is usual. I will try blowing out the lines as suggested.
FollowupID: 826027

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 12:45

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 12:45
Martycon,
Seeing that the burner is lighting up, try checking the flue pipe for wasps nests. The little blighters have started on their mission for the season.

Also inspect the area around the burner at the bottom of the flue as I had one build a nest right beside the burner and it was enough to slightly deflect the flame just a little and the fridge would not work. Took three goes to find it.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826039

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 14:02

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 14:02
hi guys
back in 2004-5 there were problems caused by poor quality hoses brought in from china the internal lining of the hoses was breaking down internally into a powdery form by the gas which was found to be blocking regulators and burner jets
I was having trouble getting a new hose for my camper at the time there was a lull in supply and hoses were on back-order and I was told the faulty hoses had been halted from sale after the problem was discovered
but they had already supplied and sold a huge amount of them and no recall was done
2 different suppliers told me the same imfo
so if you are having blockages and its not spiders or wasps I would suggest you replace your flexible hoses between gas bottle and regulator and regulator and pipe that delivers the gas to your appliances blowing the lines out will only be a temporary fix until more rubber breaks up and comes through cheers
FollowupID: 826046

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 14:07

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 14:07
forgot to mention you may also have to replace your regulator as well to resolve the problem completly
FollowupID: 826047

Reply By: howie - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 00:58

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 00:58
years ago, when having the some problems, the jets were blocked.
guy in camping shop said there was some 'dirty' gas around at the time.
also said it is sometimes caused by overfilling your gas bottle.
the presence of an oily coating suggests the same oily stuff will have been blown into the jets.

AnswerID: 540239

Follow Up By: Member - Jim - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 20:46

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 20:46
I would suggest that we are going through the same "dirty gas" situation again.
Recently changed the regulator in Brother in Laws van twice in the past year (used say 3-4 bottles during this period).
Both times there was an oily substance running out the bottom of the regulator when the hose was disconnected.

His bottles came from a major hardware chain as exchange.

Jim
FollowupID: 826370

Follow Up By: martycon - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 18:44

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 18:44
First, thanks again to all advisers. Advice taken, jet cleaned and lines blown out. Worked well on Gas, ac & dc for two weeks, but now failed to even get cool in any mode, let alone freeze.
I will try to get refrigerant pressure tested, and if OK may get a new thermostat installed. However, it is looking like a new frig to replace the 10 yr old Dometic RM2350 90 litre.
I would like to go compressor, but extra solar and batteries would put van and vehicle overweight.
FollowupID: 827019

Sponsored Links