Submitted: Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 16:11
ThreadID: 109790 Views:2948 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Splat

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 17:02

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 17:02
Obviously the government campaigns aren't working. Imagine someone standing beside a car waving at you, then you push it down the tracks for the next few minutes not knowing if someone is inside until you stop and get the courage up to face a potentially mangled body or a dead baby still in it's seat. Penalties for these idiots illegally crossing lines should be severe they should be forced to pay or contribute towards driver counseling, machine damage and downtime even if they have to do it for the rest of their life because the train driver gets a life sentence mentally speaking which is all to often forgoten about and bankruptcy should not be an option in these cases. But that will never happen will all the sympathetic goody goodies around.
AnswerID: 540256

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 18:54

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 18:54
Batt's - I can assure you, this bloke will most certainly be gettting a bill from Genesee & Wyoming, for all the loco and track damage and freight delay losses.

The mental toll on train drivers in general is huge - and I don't know how you compensate for that. Metro train drivers have people committing, or trying to commit, suicide in front of them half a dozen times a year on average. That doesn't even include the idiots who get stuck on crossings.

Not a lot of younger drivers understand that if you damage property belonging to others, you will get a bill for it. Most people never see that, because their insurance company picks up the tab.

A few years ago, the bill you got for knocking down a power pole in the Perth metro area was $3500. I've no doubt that figure has increased, as would the replacement cost of a pole in the country.
Damage someones fence or buildings with your car, and you'll get the bill for it. There's nothing more certain, apart from death and taxes.

The sad part is that this bloke and his mate weren't drunk - they were just being adventurous and stupid in the best juvenile fashion. Don't forget, we all did equally stupid things when we were his age.

I know I've crossed rail lines at non-designated crossings and nearly got stuck when I was younger and more foolish. It's just a lack of driver education.
45lb rail lines are high enough - the current 53kg and 60 kg lines are a struggle for a lot of 4WD's to climb over, particularly with an embankment and loose ballast each side of the line.

Young drivers need to be told and shown that a 4WD WILL get stuck easily on current, high profile rail lines, where there's no designated crossing.
It's a pretty expensive lesson for him, and one he'll be working to pay off for a while.
Not insuring his 4WD either, is evidence he wasn't exactly thinking ahead too well.

The rail line education needs to extend to the point where drivers are made very aware of the massive destruction/death/injury potential of derailing a 5,000 or 10,000 tonne freight train.
If the loco had plunged off the bridge, the toll could have involved deaths in the crew.

There's quite a few "experienced" truck drivers around, too, who didn't understand the dangers of not looking properly for trains, at designated crossings.

Lismore Rail Disaster

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 826055

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:01

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:01
Uninsured and 23 years old, can't see how he is going to pay for that in a hurry
FollowupID: 826056

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:10

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:10
May not be "in a hurry" but be assured he WILL pay! Might take him a decent slab of the rest of his working life, but he WILL pay! And so he should!
FollowupID: 826058

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 20:31

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 20:31
ID hazard a guess thats the son of the first person that tried to drive along the O bahn in adelaide
AnswerID: 540262

Sponsored Links