4wd tyres

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 04:14
ThreadID: 109794 Views:2482 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
anyone tried Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres? Some feed back would be great thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: arte02 - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:21

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:21
Yep, I've got them on my Ford Ranger. Very happy with them. We recently went to Birdsville , down to innamincka , Cameron's corner and back to Sunnie Coast. No problems. I've had them on other cars and again no problems. I'd recommend them.
AnswerID: 540268

Follow Up By: cliff p - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:30

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:30
Thanks Guys, i probably should have mentioned that i don't get off road much , as i intended, so they would be more hwy use. A mate told me his neighbour has done 60,000 kms on a set which he is very impressed with, he highly Recommended them. My mate has just put them on his Navara and says that they ride really well, but early days yet, and they cost him $250 each.
FollowupID: 826085

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:27

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:27
Im running a set on mine.....they drive like a good pasenger car tyre on road..they respond well to airing down.

The fairly fine tread works better than many will admit off road.

Great fast dirt road tyre

They work fairly well on anything other than mud or heavy loose rock

I've had mine on for about 3 years now and they seem to be wearing well.

they review pretty well in the tyre comparos and do better all round than many of the fancy brands.

there other tyrte to look at is the Yokohama Geolander......there realy is not much to seperate the scorpion and the geolander in AT.

cheers
AnswerID: 540272

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:53

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:53
Scorpions are OK but the Geolanders I had wore out faster than a cheap suit
I replaced them with BFG A/t's and they weren't worn out after 60,000, most of it towing a van
FollowupID: 826074

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:01

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:01
BFG have had some problems in the last couple of years with both quality and supply.

If you want a tyre to work well on the bitumen or moderate dirt, a hard compound is not going to help you.

Interesting that most of the tyres that make claims of high milage do not perform as well on the butumin or the moderate off road as some of the softer compound tyres.

Some vehicles and some drivers simply do not do well on soft compound tyres.

years ago, I ran Yokahamas on one of my street cars.....I loved em.....they stuck well, on wet or dry butimen and they where great on dirt...I got good milage .....a mate complained that he he wore a set out in 2 months......but he had a digital accelerator....it was either on or off.

the geolanders come with some sort of road hazard warranty.

I chose the scorpions...no regrets.

cheers
FollowupID: 826083

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 06:37

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 06:37
I can't remember a set of bfg at I wanted to keep past 40 or 50 km. At half tread they harden up and become ice skates on the road.
Pirelli is great, we have a few pk Rangers still in the fleet on them and the drivers love them, as are the yokos. I'm getting another set today. I would have gone either way or with the bridge stones but the yokos are best price by a bit at the moment in my tyre size. I had them on my last ute and guarantee no bfg at will hold a candle to them on road especially in the wet. That a tyre can travel a greater distance is pretty low on my list of priorities when buying them. Staying alive, stopping, making that swerve in an emergency.......
FollowupID: 826129

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:16

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:16
Geolander HT are as soft as butter and don't wear well. Geolander AT/S are a great tyre that wear very well and are very versatile. The Scorpions get a good rap from everyone and they come in a lot of sizes.
FollowupID: 826135

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:09

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:09
Got the yokos yesterday - very happy. They are only one size bigger than the last ones I had. Last ones 265/70/16. These 265/75/16.
The new ones are marked light truck, have a much higher max inflation and load capacity, are constructed differently, weigh more and have deeper tread. I had to go to an American site to get the low down on them.
Just a reminder to choose your tyre size and construction, then look specifically at it between brands to get any meaningful comparison at all. There are plenty of variations within each brand much less across the market, and getting to the bottom of it requires doing some solid homework. Ask a tyre salesman LAST unless they are independent and trusted.
FollowupID: 826223

Reply By: Member - Peter G20 - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:02

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:02
Hi
I have been a Coopers AT tyre man for years, but last year I have fitted BF Goodrich TA s and have just returned from a 9 month trip around OZ towing a camper trailer. Covered 53,000 ks and the Goodrichs appear to be only 60% worn. They I believe are brilliant!.
Quiet on Bitumen and extremely tough for the dirt. Their side walls remain quite rigid even on low air pressures.

I will replace them with Goodrichs again when they finally wear out.

The Coopers were great too, but I'm thinking they come 2nd to the Goodrichs.

Cheers

Pete
AnswerID: 540279

Follow Up By: Member - Snirtus - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:16

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:16
BFG TA's are our tyre of choice, we have them fitted to 2 cruisers, 2 Prados and my Rok, but they have one flaw. In wet grass or mud the tread fills up very quickly and they become like slicks, loose all traction and (as happened to me twice) you just slide down the hill with no braking or steering (luckily there was no tree or cliff). We have BFG Muds fitted to the 3rd cruiser, they are noisier, don't wear quite as well but if you in wet grass or sticky mud they self clean making them much safer. We will be fitting BFG Muds to the other 2 cruisers because they spend more time in the paddock than on the road, the Prados will keep their AT's. Because I changed to 265/75/R16 on the Rok I can pinch the Muds from the cruiser when I head from Tom Groggin to Benambra.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826081

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 17:48

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 17:48
Cliff,

I ran the Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres for awhile and they are a good all round tyre. Amazing capability for quite modest tread pattern. I was reading in the 4x4 mag a year or so ago that they won the best allround AT tyre. I don't run them anymore as I did not get the miles out of them compared to other brands. For what you want to do the Bridgestone AT 694 might be worth considering if you venture off the tar a bit?
AnswerID: 540350

Follow Up By: cliff p - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:47

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:47
Thanks for the reply will, it seems that the pirelli scorpions are worth a try. You would like to believe that if a 4x4 mag rated them highly that they would have to be a good quality tyre. No one has bagged them so with a bit more looking into id say they might be my next choice of tyre.
FollowupID: 826180

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:47

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:47
when a heavily copper biased magazine rates the scorpions and the geolanders highly on two successive reviews several years apart.....they have to be worth a look.

The tread pattern on the scorpions, does not look particularly aggressive.....but it is a very clever tread pattern all the voids in the tread are tapered...this makes them shed, mud and rocks more efficiently than wider straight spaced treads....and they are much quieter on the road than many others

there are plenty of 4wd tyres out there that people either love or hate......that is not the perelli scorpion.....ya don't hear many people rave about them......but likewise you don't hear much bad news about em either.

If you want a pretty good all round performer and you are interested in "doing the hard tracks"......I don't think you can go wrong with the scorpion ATR.

cheers
FollowupID: 826190

Follow Up By: cliff p - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:27

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:27
Thanks Bantam, after looking into them more i agree with everything you said. I will follow this up when I've done 20-30 000 kms on them.
FollowupID: 826218

Sponsored Links