OziExplorer

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:40
ThreadID: 109797 Views:3216 Replies:4 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Well ... I've finally seen the light. After much frustration with relatively expensive "off the shelf" GPS units which really aren't up to the job. I purchased a no name chinese unit running Windows CE off eBay, a copy of Oziexplorer and some decent digital mapping.

To say the difference is amazing is only underplaying it. What a quantum leap forward!!!

And I hold you lot totally responsible for not beating me around the ears enough yonks ago to see the light.

And to think the total outlay was still less than a name unit which wouldn't do half the tricks of this little jobby, with a wireless reversing camera thrown in for good measure.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin E - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:12

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:12
Get David's EOZI skin for oziexplorer here as well makes ozi better and easier too
Colin
AnswerID: 540281

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:17

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:17
thats only for andraid pretty sure
FollowupID: 826078

Follow Up By: Member - Colin E - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:51

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:51
No I use on my vms windows CE version
Makes much easier to use buttons and extra functions
FollowupID: 826086

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:44

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:44
Well come on Rosco, put up a link so we can see what you are talking about and so we can all get one. LOL.

Thanks for the report, you've got my attention now.

Don't forget the link please.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540284

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:12

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:12
G'day Bruce

Not sure what you're after cobber? A link to the eBay site or what (there are 100's)?
Let me know and I'd be happy to oblige.
FollowupID: 826084

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 14:45

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 14:45
Thanks for getting back to me Rosco.

Yes please, a link to an ebay listing of the same unit as you purchased would be good. Once I have seen it I will know what I have to look for.

My Navman just packed it in and I am looking to get another one however there are so many on ebay that it gets confusing.

Having someone who can recommend a suitable unit, as you have just done, is invaluable to me. It has sorted the wheat from the chaff so to speak.
If, as you say, it does so many things more than the usual run of the mill units then that is the one I am looking for.

Many thanks.
Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826090

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:00

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:00
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-7-4GB-Car-GPS-Navigation-SAT-NAV-Navigator-Maps-Wireless-Reverse-Camera-/231322306963?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

That's the mob I got mine from. So far their support has been very good. I've currently got an issue with the reversing camera wherein it was fine when I installed it yesterday, but today the image on the screen is rotated 90 deg clockwise. Not sure why this would happen and I await a reply from the supplier.
FollowupID: 826093

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:40

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:40
Thanks Rosco,
That is exactly what I was after.

If you do not have any joy re the image upside down just rotate the camera 180 deg.

Mind you I have not had much success with wireless reverse cameras in the past. Mine is a fixed unit which I put together from individual parts I purchased off ebay. Cost around $50 all up. Works very well.

Thanks again.
Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826095

Follow Up By: Briacomm - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:49

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:49
Hey Bruce C,

Just following up on this GPS unit, I too am keen to get one, but have heard lots of bad feedback about the blue tooth for mobile usage on some units.
Any chance you could share any thoughts on this unit with bluetooth.

My dilemma is that I want bluetooth connection for mobiles while travelling and it appears i will need to get a decent quality replacement head unit to get reasonable bluetooth.

If that makes sence.

Cheers

Brian btw "chocolate frogs can't swim"
FollowupID: 826181

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 21:35

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 21:35
Brian, I have not bought one of these GPS units as yet so the best person to deal with your answer is Rosco as he has had some experience with it.

What about it Rosco ??. How is the bluetooth side of that device.?

What I use all the time Brian when I am travelling is a bluetooth hands free device such as This

It does all I want to do so I have not bothered with anything else so far. Once I get the new GPS it may be a different story though.

Cheers, Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826185

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:38

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:38
To be honest boys ... that component is not high on my list of priorities. I haven't even investigated this aspect as I won't be using it. The Bluetooth component in the OEM radio meets my requirements adequately, as does FM radio.

At the end of the day I look on these extras as merely icing on the cake and not what I bought it for in the first place.

Though .... now you mention it the conversion app for bra sizes makes for interesting study ..... ;o))
FollowupID: 826194

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:44

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:44
P.S.

Screen rotation........ support resolved this issue and it may be of interest to one and all. Tap the corners (any corner) of the screen and the image flips around in 90 degree segments.

Unusual I would have thought ... but then again I'm a total bloody luddite in tech issues such as this.

So I can't but offer bouquets to the supplier for his/her follow-up.
FollowupID: 826195

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 05:08

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 05:08
Us Luddites are quite a sizable army Rosco.

I guess some things just fall into the "couldn't be bothered" category otherwise we would take the time to become familiar that stuff.

On the bluetooth front, some of us do not have a bluetooth radio yet and are looking for some sort of hands free setup so that we can operate our phones inside the law when traveling.

I guess you could say "one mans icing is another mans treasure" to mix metaphors. LOL.

Thanks Rosco.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826198

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhacker -NSW - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 00:52

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 00:52
Yes Bruce, I don't have a Bluetooth radio either. I am waiting on the delivery of my ebay 7" unit, similar to that shown in the post. I checked out what seemed like a hundred of them, and bought one for $82.
It won't be doing off road mapping though, I have recently decided (since my useless Hema Navigator 6 died), that I will go down the path of using my iPad. I have the Bad-Elf gps unit and Hema mapping on it now. I also use it with Navtronics marine mapping, so the Chinese unit will be strictly street stuff.
Just letting you know there are even cheaper ones on ebay with Win CE

Regards, Dave
FollowupID: 826379

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhacker -NSW - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 00:57

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 00:57
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310639588380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

No reversing camera, probably the difference in the price
Dave
FollowupID: 826380

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 08:18

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 08:18
Thanks for the heads up Bushwacker, I'll look into that one as well.

I am not that concerned with the bluetooth side of things as I have a simple bluetooth device which clips onto the sun visor and does all I need to do to remain legal while answering a call.

Bluetooth Hands Free Device

Very happy with it in fact, especially considering I bought 2 of the devices at half the current asking price and no postage costs.

Cheers, Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826382

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 08:21

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 08:21
Sorry all, I just realised I have put that link in for the second time. Oldtimers disease again. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826383

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2014 at 22:42

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2014 at 22:42
Rosco, good to see you are still functioning mate. Please tell me if the AV in is hard wired capable in the case of your unit, or is it just suitable for their wifi camera systems?
FollowupID: 826619

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2014 at 23:12

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2014 at 23:12
Sorry mate ... you've lost me. If you MM me your email I'll send you a copy of the specs
FollowupID: 826622

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 07:08

Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 07:08
Rosco, the AV input. Audio Visual or camera input. Does that have a plug input from the reversing camera? I see quite a lot seems to have wifi from the camera, but the photos on the eBay pages aren't clear.
FollowupID: 826628

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 08:35

Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 08:35
Hi John,
My reading of the specs in the link Rosco posted are that the unit has a standard AV input which means any standard camera can be plugged into it via the appropriate lead.

The wireless part (receiver) of the device is in the special lead provided which plugs into the AV input of the unit. This means you do not have to use it as a wireless camera only.

It's power source is derived via a conventional USB plug so that is industry standard, more or less.

This is a very good option as it means that should the wireless part fail or prove inadequate, a suitable standard replacement camera and AV lead of the correct type can replace the wireless setup.

I have not seen that before in a wireless unit. That makes the unit a winner on several counts. IMHO. Not the least of which is price.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826631

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 09:05

Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 09:05
Thanks Bruce, I am interested in having a 7"-8" screen running OziExplorer that also doubles as a rear camera screen in my tug. The camera is already wired into the caravan. Not good trying to run wireless with an aluminium bodied caravan!

Both the VMS option and the Hema one have camera/AV input and are switched with a ve+ wire.
FollowupID: 826632

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:32

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:32
I have used Ozi for many years.
It's a great Aussie made/written program, very stable, works extremely well.
Never seen the need to change to anything else as nothing else seems to match it.

I currently use a Dell 10" tablet running Windows 8, having moved from a couple of different laptops over the years.
This tablet is a great setup, small and self contained, great screen, solid state hard drive so it deals with rough travel very well.
Best thing was the tablet only cost $350- compared to a laptop.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540290

Reply By: WBS - Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 07:50

Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 07:50
I've been a user of OziExplorer for many years and I've also dabbled with other similar apps but in my humble opinion, nothing comes close to it. I run my Ozi on a similar product to those mentioned here, a 7" GPS running on windows CE (Knav brand). I've had my unit since 2010 and it has never missed a beat.

That said if you are in the market for this type of GPS my advice is to at least consider getting a 7" Android tablet such as a Samsung, or at least one with extra memory (micro SD card) as an alternative. They work just as well with OziExplorer and have other "out of vehicle" uses too. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.4 which works very well but is just too big to mount on my dash board.

WBS
AnswerID: 540714

Sponsored Links