What is a lifted vehicle????? a little bit long

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 22:38
ThreadID: 10981 Views:2099 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have found the discussion on suspension upgrades quite interesting over the time that I have visited this great forum.

I have read with interest the insurance issues, the police issues, various state transport issues and the issues surrounding the type, brand or mixture of components that one would use to gain some form of advantage over the original equipment.

My question is this - what is a lifted vehicle??

Granted, when body lift blocks or spring spacers are used, then that can definitely be called a lift. however, when springs and shocks are utilised on their own, what would constitute a "lift' in the eyes of the variuos bodies mentioned above.

For example, I own an 11/96 80 Series and I like it, but I did not like the original worn suspension. The solution for me was to use the OME brand. I thought "gee am I getting myself into trouble??"

As I was installing the 864/851 springs and the N 73/74 shocks, I measured the springs with a tape. They were exactly the same height unloaded - but the key to this is that the spring rate is different through more coils and different materials .

The result is that my vehicle does not sag under its own weight and has the appearance of a "lift" as it sits higher than the sagging 7 year old 115,000km components.

Have I lifted my vehicle or have I just merely altered the spring rates for the vehicle considering that the components are the same length??

What is a 50mm spring lift??

Are spring rates set for a vehicle type ina similar fashion to tyre placards??

Thanks for any comments,

Regards,

Seanny

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:09

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:09
Seany,
By the time I write this there will be other replies, from what I've learned the legal lift you can do is 50mm and this is measured by the eyebrow height at the wheel arch, this is the figure the boys in blue are interested in, obviously you can either do a body lift (bushes between the body and the chassis) or a suspension lift, bigger springs and shocks shackles etc etc. If you do either and you increase the eyebrow height more than the standard measurment by 50 mm you should have an engineers cert to say it's ok, this could involve a lane changing test to prove the stability of the vehicle, from what I hear this can costa lota money $2000 +. The placard you talk about is the GVm of the vehicle which can't be exceeded even if you fit heavy duty everything, again i imagine if you got an enginers cert maybe, but the load rating of your tyres and a whole bunch of other stuff comes into this equation.
I could well of missed the mark in some points but when I looked at doing mods (putting another engine in) the paperwork I had to do to make the vehicle legal and still insurable made going beyond the design envelope prohibitive, i gave up in the end, the insurance was the killer, in the big scheme of things not worth the effort and in my case the money.
Others may be able to help you with other aspects. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 49064

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:26

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:26
A lift is anything above standard height.

Doesnt matter what you use, tires, shocks, body mounts etc, anything bigger than OEM is a lift.
AnswerID: 49069

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:35

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:35
Seanny,
Yeap that's what I meant, I just can't seem to get it as short and to the point, thanks Truckster.........LOLKeep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 310927

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:46

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:46
I found when I was on the pricing trail for my springs that all the aftermarket ones had a 2in lift whether you wanted it or not .I shudder to think of buying new springs from Toyota.
AnswerID: 49083

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:11

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:11
I think OME have a standard spring height replacement. ie no lift just a firmer spring rate.
FollowupID: 310942

Reply By: craig - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:14

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:14
this also begs the question about a 4x4 that comes standard with hight ajustable suspension , ie the range rover ? can you legaly lift it 50mm if so what hight do you take if from as it has 4 hight settings ?
AnswerID: 49099

Sponsored Links