Inverell NSW - How to chase tourists and RV away

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:52
ThreadID: 109815 Views:6171 Replies:17 FollowUps:51
This Thread has been Archived
When in Inverell in March and went to dump point in showgrounds, showgrounds groundsman comes over screaming 100km/h in vehicle you cannot fill up with water. Carries on like a true madman about the tourist information centre in town using unprintable words. Eventually calms down with persuasion and manage to get some water for the caravan. Amazing stuff. I offered to pay for the water as we are budget campers not freeloading scunge campers. I said to him to put a donation box if the showgrounds and tourism in the town cannot afford a few litres of water. Get tirade about travellers and you wouldn't get any donations. Considering a kilolitre of water is so cheap one donation would pay for probably 10 travellers.

Few friends and ourselves decided we would go to the currently on Inverell Festival. Phoned showgrounds to book. Get tirade about the council will only allow 6 RV's blah blah blah and you cannot come blah blah blah.

Why do Inverell Council and tourism bother to advertise on TV about the Inverell Saphire City Festival if they hate RV and travellers that much.

Inverell sure is a town that hates tourists as much as Glen Innes and Tenterfield. Never come across towns that are so RV and traveller unfriendly. Last time when we were in Tenterfield earlier this year asking about low cost/showgrounds parking at the tourist information she told us in no uncertain terms we were only a user of town services and didn't contribute anything. Perhaps she should have come out to lunch etc. with us while were in town. You cannot stay in town for 4 or 5 days and not spend money. Naturally we moved on to greener pastures to spend our money.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 19:22

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 19:22
Hmmm.... I personally have found Tenterfield quite RV friendly, with good service from the guys who look after the showground site (we find the CP too tight for our rig) and friendly people at the Information Centre. I can't comment about Inverell as I have visited but not stayed o/n _ but it is on our to do list. As to Glen Innes, I have been there a few times but would not consider staying o/n.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 540359

Reply By: Trevor P4 - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 19:26

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 19:26
Have you actually put your concerns formally to the councils concerned, it is possible that you came across a couple of bad apples. It is the councils perogative to restict the use of the showgrunds in preference for travellers to use many camping options in and around town. I'll keep an open mind.
AnswerID: 540360

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:37

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:37
Hi Travelling,

Next time you are in Inverell try the camping ground out at Copeton Waters State Park.

No Gestapo, roomy sites, good water, good showers and a good reception is assured and the prices are not unrealistic either. One of my favourite spots as you can tell.

I have only ever stayed in Inverell township once, in the caravan park by the river, just over the river from the showground and it was very tight. A nice park but they are jammed in like sardines and the reception left something to be desired.

I was asked by a mate to enquire about prices for an on site van in that van park.

"We don't have onsite vans" came the none too pleasant reply from the lady behind the counter. No pleasant suggestion of their alternative accommodation, no way, just an aggressive unpleasant reply. Anyone would think they rated more than 3 stars from her attitude. In fact I would downgrade them to a 2 star rating just on that reception alone.

As I said to a business owner in my town "If I had staff that did not smile at a customer when they came in the door I would drag them across the coals".

It comes as a bit of a surprise to some people but that person coming through the door is more than likely the one that is going to pay something toward the bills, so you better be pleasant to them.

I have also stayed in Glen Innes and found the showground manager to be very pleasant. The facilities were a bit basic but the reception was agreeable.

The problem comes in when some people abuse the privileges afforded by some of these towns and thereby ruin it for the rest.

However, the message has not filtered through yet, people are getting more budget conscious because the fuel prices are starting to bite so money has to be saved somewhere and van sites are the one area where a saving can be made and will be made. Most certainly by me anyway.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540364

Reply By: OBJ - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:40

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 20:40
We are just back from a week in Glen Innes where a group to which I belong has just held it's annual get together, and the folk there could not have been friendlier, more accommodating nor helpful. Caravan park owners, hardware store erators, supermarket, coffee shops and cafes .. you name it, we were treated in a friendly fashion with courtesy and kindness. I have just fired off a letter to the council thanking them for the way their locals treated us. Most were unaware that there was a major gathering in their showground, but were just naturally friendly, country folk.

Sounds like you may have struck a couple of bad ones in Inverell, because from your post you seem to be a reasonable bloke.Shrug it off, write a letter to the council and move on would be my suggestion.

And travel safely and enjoy the rest of the people you meet.

:)

OBJ
AnswerID: 540365

Follow Up By: mike39 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:44

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:44
Thanks for your comments OBJ.
We live in Glen Innes and I would apologise to you for the shemozzle you would have found re the main street. A situation very few locals are happy about, being railroaded into a permanent 10% rate increase to pay for it.

However, one admires the Council for its attitude toward the travelling public, grey nomads or whatever.

We have 4 free overnight camp spots plus dump point, water and picnic facilities at the Lions park and free barbecues in the main park.
The wide streets provide decent parking for vans etc.

During the year, the showground is used several times for events such as your group and us locals do appreciate the contribution you make to the town.
Very pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
Mike
FollowupID: 826209

Follow Up By: Andrew D7 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:01

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:01
Mike39
the dump point is CLOSED
you cannot camp at Lions Park and the council CEO was on ABC Radio that if they could they would close the Beardy Waters and Balancing Rock rest areas but they cannot as the council doesn't control the land
the council has CLOSED Sinclairs Lookout and sends the ranger out there to chase people away
don't know where you get 4 as Beardy Waters Woodland Park has been closed for years

could have put the sheltered workshop to do the main street of Glen Innes and got it finished in 1/2 the time. Keep passing through Glen Innes and ONLY go to Woolworths as a matter of principal because of the town attitude and the main street has been a horrid work in progress for longer than I care to remember and shake my head each time it isn't finished.
What does strike me about Glen Innes is everywhere you go in town everything is broken down or needs repair. Glen Innis is a town that desperately needs some serious cleaning and repair work
FollowupID: 826212

Follow Up By: mike39 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:26

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:26
Andrew.
No idea where you got that information, but the dump point has NEVER been closed.
As a matter of fact a motorhome was disposing effluent there only 1/2 hr. ago. I also indicated the Lions park is a picnic area, not an overnight stop

Sinclair lookout never was a rest area, it is as its named "a lookout". The rest area on the Inverell road is Swanbrook.

Now as to the local overnight spots, there are 2 ~5km. North of town and 1 ~2km. South both on the NE highway, Woodland park off the Grafton road which makes 4 in my count.

Regardless of what the GM might say on radio, he doesn't run the town even though he would like to.

Maybe instead of merely passing through and handing out wrong information, you should take a day or so to see what we really have on offer.
mike
FollowupID: 826226

Follow Up By: Travelling - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:57

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:57
mike39 I know Glen Innes well. The dump point was CLOSED for over 12 months. Phone the council and ask them. There was a notice once to go to the showgrounds but we couldn't get in. I personally went to the Lions Park dump point THREE times and it was CLOSED.
Lions Park also USED to be an overnight park. We would park there walk up town have a feed and beer at the pub, shop next day up town, have lunch and possibly stay two nights. Glen Innes has become a place you drive through to greener pastures.

Mike go out to Woodland Park and see the NO CAMPING signs right at the entrance. We were there earlier this year. Sinclairs Lookout USED to be an overnight camping area.
Get real man Swanbrook is 35km on the road to Inverell

I couldn't agree more with other posters Glen Innes has become one of the many sad breaking down country towns with no leadership and no idea about tourism or community.
FollowupID: 826236

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:34

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:34
Must be a different Inverell to the one we stayed at. The reception at the Inverell caravan park couldn't have been friendlier. In fact everyone we met during our admittedly very short stay seemed like a nice bunch of people.
I thought $28 a night powered or $20 a night unpowered was quite reasonable.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 540369

Follow Up By: Andrew D7 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:10

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:10
$28 a night reasonable. Who are you kidding that is a major rip off for a caravan park of that standard
you can rent a unit on the Gold Coast for $196 a week which is much better value than a low standard caravan park that offers nothing
FollowupID: 826214

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:34

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:34
Andrew if you think $28 is a rip off, you better stay at home and not travel, $28 would be the cheapest in OZ.

Just sayin.
FollowupID: 826232

Follow Up By: Travelling - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 13:03

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 13:03
Steve in Kakadu you are out of touch buddy and live a gold plated life style. Travelling pensioner grey nomads don't have $200 to $350 a week to toss at greedy over priced and often not very good caravan parks. Go to Merriwa and see the rubbish they want to charge $28 for right on the highway with disgusting facilities. Once upon a time you could stay at Merriwa unpowered for $5 and we would go to the RSL for a feed and stay a couple of day. Merriwa is just another town like so many scratched off peoples lists.

this year we have been to around 10 caravan parks at $22 or under and mainly under $20 and many showgrounds for free or $5 to $10 depending on services supplied.
Best caravan park stayed in this year Leigh Creek $20 and spotless. Old but clean and tidy everything. Would have to have the best camp kitchen ever seen even though we had no need to use it.
FollowupID: 826237

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 14:53

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 14:53
Travelling

So you want someone to fund your travels? Good luck with that one...

I can't afford lots of things, but it doesn't make the people selling them "greedy".

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 826243

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 15:09

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 15:09
"Gold plated life style" that just cracked me up LOL, but seriously $28 is cheap compared to most.
FollowupID: 826244

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:31

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:31
Sorry I misinterpreted your intensions.

You want to be able to travel around, stay for free at campgrounds that are provided at someone else's expense but call into a caravan park when you need to do your laundry. top up your water tanks and empty your toilet cassette and you want all that at bargain basement prices.
And all that because it your God given right, and you don't want your finances stretched beyond buying a suitable tow vehicle and caravan, putting fuel into it and getting the odd tyre replaced now and again plus servicing.
The fact that the caravan park is a business that someone has invested probably millions to buy (you can have one in Derby WA if you can come up with a cool 12 mil) and whatever ongoing costs to keep it going plus hopefully make a crust for themselves. None of this is of any consequence as long as you can enjoy the caravaning lifestyle for free.

I think I am starting to get the picture now.

Oh, by the way, I don't have a million or two in the bank to afford a "gold plated" lifestyle. My van and vehicle together would probably net me maybe 50 or 60 grand if I was lucky. I live in a modest house and get by on a part pension, the wife doesn't qualify until next year, plus a bit of super that we managed to accumulate.
So don't come crying on my shoulder.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 826262

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:59

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:59
Pop,
he doesn't want it for free, he wants to be paid for it. All the rate payers in the little shires should fork out to keep said person in a manner that he is accustomed to.

I witnessed one van filling his water tanks from a rest stop water tank that was 100k from the nearest town in a very dry time. I wonder if it occurred to this person that the local shire had carted that water all the way out there at rate payers expense so he could use it for that.

$28 a night. I think of it this way. Council rates, Power bills, water bills, gas for the camp kitchen, mowing, trimming of trees, purchase of the ride on and maintenance, maintenance of the buildings and toilets, purchase of a vehicle maintaining it for use around the park, insurances, staff wages, repairs to roads and sites, breakdowns, electrician at $140 and hour for call out and $100 there after, same for the plumber when the job is to big for the handyman, painting, advertising then many parks deepening on where they are can only operate for 6 months of the year due to climate and I think that is enough. Bloody greedy caravan park owners. LOL.
FollowupID: 826278

Follow Up By: Andrew D7 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 09:47

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 09:47
Slow one/Pop and pity you don't comprehend written English well
everybody is willing to pay, however heaps don't want to stay at horrid caravan parks and more than willing to pay at showgrounds especially where NO DOGS are allowed.
caravan parks are horrid crammed in jail type establishments for those that like that sardine squashed crammed environment where you can hear every word your neighbour says and their TV.
majority of caravan parks sites are to small for bigger rigs
caravan parks are ripoff over priced establishments for the dummies that are willing to get ripped off, regimented and crammed in like sardines and love that cuddly feeling like sheep.

if you cannot stay at reasonably priced showgrounds or camping facilities you do not stay in the town or spend money in the town
Inverell used to be a RV friendly town and was well patronised, but now Inverell is actively driving tourists away
reason why Inverell is on the RV UNfriendly towns list and avoided by so many as it is now a rip off tourist town with no reasonably priced facilities for campers and travellers in or near the town
high percentage of travellers today do not need power or any facilities other than somewhere to park a bit of water and toilet or dump point
if you don't supply what tourists want they go elsewhere
FollowupID: 826289

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:34

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:34
You seem to have a big problem with many things relating to Inverell, caravan parks, ripoffs, dogs and even poor old dummies and sardines.

Maybe you could bag Inverell to these people who rate it as a RV friendly town. Guess they haven't caught up with you yet so you can give them the good oil, then again you may give it a glowing report.

I would say nearly every town would be on your unfriendly list.

CMCA rating

FollowupID: 826315

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 18:43

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 18:43
Andrew,

Firstly I can comprehend well written English, even the variety they speak in the good ol' US of A.
The "written English well" that you use...hmmm...not so much, but I do realise that I must make allowances for those for whom English is not their first language.
"everyone is willing to pay"??? Doesn't sound as if you are included in that category. Your terminology gives me the impression that you have multiple issues with caravan parks in general and those of us "dummies" and "sardines' that frequent them until it's time to "park a bit of water and toilet or dump point". Took me a little bit of scratching of my "dummie' head to work that one out but I think I get the gist of it now.
"if you don't supply what tourists want they go elsewhere"

Personally I am happy to pay for the services that most caravan parks offer i.e water, power, reasonable ablution facilities (that's where you park your bit of water and toilet by the way) and usually a bit of info about their town and general area.
So you keep to your free areas and I will use caravan parks and hopefully I will not run across you when you "park your bit of toilet and water"

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 826322

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:03

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:03
After the showground was closed to casual campers, and they had to go through hoops to get the right approvals, only six rigs were permitted under the licence. Yes, six sites is really only paying lip-service to showground camping, and at a price similar to many privately owned rural caravan parks. Anyone interested can read about the long running saga and what eventuated.

There are other options for showground camping within the Shire, and cheaper with Ashofrd and Delungra showgrounds. There are also low cost campgrounds at a number of dams and National Parks.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 540370

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:04

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:04
Darn - no edit. Of course I mean Ashford.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 826191

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:48

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:48
HI Motherhen

The long running saga is an interesting read and thanks for highlighting.

Of interest, was the comment that the six sites (in Inverell) are now available at a price similar to many privately owned rural caravan parks? Perhaps this confirms that the pricing in many rural caravan parks is in keeping with the cost of actually providing the service and making the investment and not excessive as many often suggest.

Although, as you have highlighted there other choices nearby.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 826210

Reply By: Jonty - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:05

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 23:05
Hi Travelling,
We run a caravan Park with no gates, so you can enter the park without calling in to the office.
People with good manners would call into the office and ask to use the facilites or look around to see if they would like to stay. There are a number of travellers who think that they can just drive in and drive around and try to use the facilites. No wonder we get upset. Would you like us to drive/walk around your private property without first asking you. There are always two sides to any argument.
Cheers, Jonty
AnswerID: 540372

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 02:23

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 02:23
I may have misread or misunderstood, but I didnt notice anything about private property or anything like that?
I got the impression he was using the public dump point rather than driving into someones private backyard and letting his load go?
FollowupID: 826197

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 07:58

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 07:58
The caravan Park owners nearest to the showgrounds have a huge amount of sway with the Inverell Council. When they purchased the business the first thing they did was to lobby the Council and got their way.
But there are other options like Asford, Glen Innes & Tenterfield. We don't need to spend any money in Inverell.
Too bad so sad
PeteM (Qld)
AnswerID: 540377

Follow Up By: Andrew D7 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:53

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:53
Glen Innes closed the dump point they hate RV's that much
really bad when it gets to the stage they close the dump point
was forced to buy a new fuse holder in Glen Innes and shop proprietor told me council is against everything and chasing tourists away at every opportunity. Bad when local business proprietors tell you that

so easy to drive past and take your money and custom elsewhere to welcoming communities that don't rip off, over charge or chase tourists away.

with low cost or free camping fees we go out to lunch twice a week and do the other attractions
councils trying to force us to spend $250 a week in a caravan park and stay in their towns is a joke
majority of grey nomad pensioners $10 a night is top price or move on. We want money to spend on other things not all for over priced rip off caravan parks
FollowupID: 826211

Reply By: Andrew D7 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:12

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:12
Inverell have put the showgrounds up to $20
the showgrounds caretaker needs a good tune up and education when we went to use the dump point
we were going to have our local hobby area meeting in Inverelll and with the charges and attitude at the tourist information we all went to Guyra and rented the showground for a nominal reasonable charge for the 22 vans and motorhomes

The fees at Copeton Dam have skyrocketed and now unaffordable. We stopped 2x at Copeton Dam now will go to the free section if we go that way again.

Glen Innes think they can gouge tourists when the Celtic Festival is on and stick up the charges in the showgrounds from $20 to $25 so we didn't go

These gouging tourist unfriendly councils try and force you into over priced accommodation which only supports the caravan park owners and denies all the other businesses in town a dollar.

We used to stop in Armidale and now they have priced themselves out the market. We had our vehicle serviced 2x at the dealer, bought tyres, went out to lunch 2x a week, bought a laptop as we passed through and stopped at Armidale regularly, now we just drive through on the highway waving to Armidale at their stupidity
AnswerID: 540378

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:36

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:36
But isn't the risk you "ban" so many places that you eventually run out of places to visit.

Okay, so the fees go up $5 for the Celtic Festival, the show ground wouldn't be the only business that does this. Why are umbrellas more expensive on rainy days, or why do airline tickets go up in peak periods, and what about the plumber who charges a higher call-out fee on a Sunday morning?

Surely if you were truly interested in the Celtic Festival was $5 the make or break decision to attend?

The councils are not the only people denying the other business in town a dollar, your decision to not stay does also...

Just thinking out aloud here!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 826208

Follow Up By: Andrew D7 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:07

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:07
the facilities in the Glen Innes showground are super sub standard and not worth $20 let alone $25
nearly everybody today has their own shower and toilet and all that is needed is a bit of freshwater and dump point if no toilets

no risk of running out of locations Australia is a big country and there are plenty of new locations to explore and other small welcoming towns

with WikiCamps there are heaps of new green pastures and great locations like Ariah Park $10 and great facilities for the price and town, Ardlethan $4 for 24 hours for electricity if you need it and flushing toilets right in town where you can walk to the pub for a meal and chemist and supermarket across the road.
FollowupID: 826213

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 15:18

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 15:18
Andrew

While not aware of the specifics in these towns, but aren't Caravans park local business? Many of the parks have been built by local business, i.e plumbers, builders etc, and they employ local people for day to operations and maintenance.

I think to say that because they want to make a profit it is denying other business in town the opportunity is drawing a rather long bow. The money spent in caravans parks also enable other business to share in the business.

I support Baz in that your decision also deny's the other businesses in making a dollar.

In respect to the "These gouging tourist unfriendly councils try and force you into over priced accommodation which only supports the caravan park owners...." You have to remember councils also insist that Caravan parks also pay rates, licences fees etc to the council. Bit unfair if the councils were to charge the caravan parks and then deter their business as well.

Alan
FollowupID: 826245

Reply By: bks - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:24

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:24
I get a bit sick of the grey nomads who want a free ride. Why should rate payers support their life style? They are claiming that the free camping/freedom camping brings money into the RV friendly towns. The reality I hear on the road is that they are so tight they spend as little as possible and argue over the price of what they do buy. The local businesses find its not worth the bother. It seems that some who do occasionally stay in van parks take their revenge by stealing anything including the toilet paper.

Why do they have to deride the local caravan parks as being greedy rip offs, Cant these small businesses make a bit of a profit after all thats why people take the risk of going into them.

I know they are all not as bad as I'm making out but I think you get my point.
AnswerID: 540421

Reply By: BunderDog - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:43

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:43
Ummmmmmm Does Inverell have a problem?

Prior post on Inverell......sounds familiar
AnswerID: 540424

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:17

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:17
Sounds like someone has an axe to grind.
FollowupID: 826282

Follow Up By: bks - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:14

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:14
Interesting The Andrew who started the post you found Bunderdog disappeared and then with this post an andrew d7 pops up with an anti Inverall diatribe. Is there more to this than we are seeing?
FollowupID: 826295

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:42

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:42
Now if you want to draw a conspiracy theory, this post was started by Traveller with a very similar diatribe!
FollowupID: 826298

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 14:33

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 14:33
And both use upper case for emphasis and the word "closed" :-)
FollowupID: 826306

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:39

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:39
I prefer to free camp where ever possible....not so much to escape fees, but to camp somewhere nice and quiet.

But a nice van park every now and then is good ( the missus loves them ), but showgrounds ???.....nah, usually too close to the grey nomads, and their dogs ( or cats ), and as a general rule unfriendly ( you nice ones don't get on the bandwagon and abuse me )

I find ( personally ) that it doesn't matter whether you are in a van park ( or showground ) in town or free camping out of town, you tend to spend about the same money in town....in town you tend to eat lunch or dinner at least one of the days and if free camping you usually come into town to restock with some things, but as said, some towns make it easy and some make you feel unwelcome..but, whenever I've opened my wallet, I've never met anyone who didn't want to take my money....
AnswerID: 540429

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 08:53

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 08:53
The reason many of these showgrounds offer cheaper prices is due to the fact that they are not meeting the same requirements and standards required for a caravan park. It is not unreasonable that caravan parks voice an opinion about the unfairness of this – that is the beauty of Australia, everyone is entitled to a viewpoint.

Putting that aside though, the argument used increasingly these days is that many RVs are fully self-contained and don’t require all the “add on facilities” but the reality is that caravan parks are either required to provide them or need to provide them to attract a broader custom.

It is difficult to “carve out” the bits that self-contained RVs don’t want or need – in fact there are instances where this has been mooted, but government regulations have stifled it.

But it does highlight an issue that needs to be resolved…

And don’t forget, wherever you stay someone needs to provide the land, which is usually rateable by the local council, plus there is the cost of capital employed to provide and maintain it, regardless of the level of services provided. And if it is council land, the ratepayers fork out for the cost, and that includes the local caravan parks.

Whilst it is easy to use the “throw-away” line that caravan parks are rip-offs and profiteers, it is mostly uninformed discussion as many making those statements would have no idea of the costs associated with running a caravan park.

Seemingly, many are estimating the cost of what should be charged to be based on their own individual travel budget, not what it might actually cost someone to provide the service.

This may actually be a case-in-point that in Inverell the cost of providing the sites in the showground is now similar to the local caravan park.

Perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised with that outcome given the Showground Trust has had to spend the capital to bring it to a standard commensurate with those that the local caravan parks are required to meet by law.

My interest in this topic is that I want to see that caravan parks survive as they are important part of the accommodation landscape in Australia – the risk is that in time, free camp or low cost sites in close proximity to towns will disappear from over use or closed down by councils. If we hound caravan parks out of business in the meantime, accommodation options for many will disappear.

Who is that most likely to affect – those seeking the travel lifestyle, especially in retirement.

And to be clear, there is nothing wrong with free or budget camping, if it is available, but there is increasing evidence that many communities are becoming less supportive as the economics of providing it are not stacking up against the income it generates for the community as a whole.

And for sure, the cry goes out along the grapevine to “avoid this town or that town” because of the non-provision of low cost or free camping, akin to the playground days of old when someone took the “bat and ball” and went home because they didn’t get their way – and often at the cost of missing out on other attractions that the area may provide.

The term “cutting your nose off to despise your face” comes to mind…

One local business owner in a small town I visited recently suggested that if they had a dollar for every complaint it received from the travelling public about the prices it needs to charge to remain viable and provide an important service, they would get far richer from that than selling goods in the shop!

Everyone wants value for money, but just remember it all comes at a cost…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 540435

Follow Up By: bks - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:10

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:10
Excellent summary of the situation.
FollowupID: 826294

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:38

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:38
Very well said Baz, and i believe balanced and not controversial.

FollowupID: 826297

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:23

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:23
Yeah Baz some of these people that what to whine about the cost of this that or the other, have no clue to the cost involved in setting up a business for their convenience.

I had an employee once that wouldn't take direction and wanted to reinvent the wheel in regards to my business, I told him if he didn't like the way my successful business was run, that he could go and spend a quarter of a million $$ and start his own, he looked at me quite surprised and said does it cost that much to start up a business like this, I said yeah and that is just getting it of the ground.

So lets look at the cost of a caravan park, these quotes are a educated guesstimate, I don't own one but I own my own small business so I have an idea of the sort of costs involved.

1: purchase of property this could run into the millions.

2: Insurance public liability 10s of thousands of $$ add a pool and a playground and that will sky rocket, workers comp thousands of $$ general insurance thousands of $$.

3: Wages a minimum of $1000 per week per employee 9% super, over time, holiday pay.

4: Most have a convenience shop that needs stocking.

5: Ground maintenance, pool maintenance, building maintenance, perhaps other types of accommodation which needs maintenance.

6: Electricity, rates, and other utilities.

7: Advertising, paying agents a commission etc.

These are just the obvious costs to start with.

All this for just $28 per night, some people just need to get on the reality train or just stay at home.

FollowupID: 826301

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 13:32

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 13:32
Steve

I read a recent article unfortunately can't remember where, but it reported that the average capital cost of developing a caravan park is in the region of $40K to $50K per site. A lot of this is requried to provide thisngs such as ablutions, sewerage/septics, power reticulation, office , garden ect
And based on this and a average occupancy of 50% per year, a breakeven accomodation cost is $45 per night.
Olbviously established parks carry a lower capital cost but this gives some idea of rate of recovery required just to break even.
And as you say $28 per night some people need to get on th ereality train.

Alan
FollowupID: 826302

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:13

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:13
Ok just a quick follow up, I have just returned home from the school swimming carnival, I was talking to the manager of the biggest caravan park in Jabiru, mind you it is 1 of two.

Here are a few facts that these rip off van parks have to pay so that people can complain about.

1: this park has 180 sites, 25 cabins, pool bar and bistro.

2: turn over this year $3,000000.

2: water bill for 6 months ( wet season for the other 6 ) $ 100,000.

3: power bill per quarter $60,000 ( $240000 per year)

Wages $ 1000 plus tax super holiday pay workers comp insurance per week per employee X 25 employee's. ( $1,560.000 ) per year

4: plus all in the above post not mentioned here.

5: profit $250,000 that equated to about 8% return.

This property has a sister property at the South Alligator river, their fuel bill for the generators is $40,000 per month, this park hasn't returned a profit in 4 years, greedy bastards they are.

Just sayin.
FollowupID: 826335

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 17:53

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 17:53
We've been down this road before but I'll simply restate what I'm sure I've said previously.

1. Some CPs may be (are) gouging given prices, the state of their facilities etc, many (most?) probably aren't given their investment. They simply don't suit all travellers for a variety of reasons, many of which have been mentioned in this thread. People shouldn't be herded into them as a result of some vague notion of an even playing field. Choice and "societal benefits" (to both travellers and local communities) ought to have as much weight as "competition".

2. The fact that a business sets up should not determine policies to attract other custom to a town, particularly where a council run facility already exists. Otherwise we'd have hotel owners driving CPs, taxis chasing public transport, etc, out of town. Due diligence will tell you the risks. But we all know how business works - the less competition the better. We've seen it in other areas where tourist operators end up with "special" rights - prices skyrocket and people with less disposable income are frozen out. It's take our tour or nothing.

3. Different markets cater to different requirements and demographics. A place to park for a small number of travellers for a limited period (!), water and a toilet/dump point - no power, no shower, no washing facilities - shouldn't be a great burden on many precincts.

4. Basic requirements - particularly dump points - should be part of our national infrastructure, not an optional extra. Little difference, if any, between a dump point and public toilets.

5. The notion that travellers don't contribute and ratepayers bear the load of basic facilities is generally untrue. Showgrounds etc already exist for other reasons and are presumably of value to their communities at various trimes of the year. Driving potential visitors away certainly will not help.
FollowupID: 826357

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 18:34

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 18:34
My point Bazooka is not that you should be herded into them, my point is that for those that say $28 a night is a rip off, these places don't run on fresh air.
FollowupID: 826361

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:46

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:46
Recently I stayed at Glenn Innes show ground for a week. In that time we spent approximately $1,400 at Woolies, Mitre 10, the butcher (we liked his product), Irrigation warehouse, Caltex service station, the strawberry farm, book shop, cheap shop, camping shop and we supported the men's shed and a few that I probably forgot to mention.

Now it annoys the hell out of me when these conversations gravitate to community costs of semi-free camping and conveniently avoid the benefits to the community that come with travellers. Now these benefits are not just in the form of spending in the broader community it also includes volunteering and in some situations providing an available work force.

I can only assume that those unbalanced arguments come from self interested park owners as it is those that seem to be often quoted as being unhappy and disadvantaged by the so called free camping. I imagine that the EO alumni can see through this.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 540441

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 13:56

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 13:56
Beatit

Nothing should ever be assumed!

I ‘m all for balanced discussion around this topic because it is one that needs to be resolved otherwise it will be those seeking a travelling lifestyle that will be most affected. You and me...

And to be clear, I neither own, invest in, or care to do either with a caravan park...

The advent of fully self-contained RVs has created a problem to the extent that they do not need many of the services that traditional caravan parks offer, and through consultation with all stake holders, including local and State government authorities, hopefully an outcome that works for all will be found.

And in much the same way that those in the RV Association speak out with a unified voice, it should come as no surprise to anyone that caravan park owners are also speaking out. Park owners are making substantial investments in communities, providing employment, and a service that allows visitors to be accommodated in the region they are located.

If they didn’t exist would you want to rely on a government instrumentality, like a council to provide it for you? Governments at all levels have a very poor record on tourism infrastructure spending. Private enterprise is best placed to do it efficiently in terms of cost and provision ofservices.

The reality is that many communities are forming a view that the pay-off of providing subsidised camping isn't worth it; on the other hand there will be communities that see value and provide free or subsidised facilities.

What is unbalanced is the uniformed commentary on what it actually costs to run a caravan park, and therefore what needs to be charged. Just because someone can't afford the prices doesn't make the service provider a "crook, profiteer, or rip-off merchant" titles often attributed by those looking for cheap camping and rightly or wrongly so, the perception seems to be that it is the “grey nomads” that holla the most!

By all means "get annoyed" but perhaps direct some of that to those travellers who expect subsidised camping from communities and if they don't get it bad mouth the town and community – they are doing themselves no favours in this debate and is helping to perpetuate a view that the “grey nomad” brigade is more trouble than they are worth…

The EO alumni – who are they?

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

FollowupID: 826303

Follow Up By: bks - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 14:04

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 14:04
While I dont completly disagree with you, I wonder how much of the $1400 actually went back to the community? Woolies would have paid some local kids wages same with the petrol etc but went much back to head office. most from the butcher would have gone to either him or a few other.

Would there have been much difference in how much you spent if you had been free camping or in a caravan park rather than the camper trailer annual meeting at the show grounds?
FollowupID: 826305

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 15:59

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 15:59
G'day Baz,

The problem sure has many tentacles and it goes without saying that everyone has their own interest at heart. It is not difficult to see that councils and industry bodies are always going to be more organised then a bunch of grey nomads. Interestingly in conversation with people in Glenn Innes they were indicating a need for outside interest in the town to keep it going and I'm sure a lot of towns feel the same way.

I really don't have a problem with the costs reflecting a location and I'm happy enough to make a decision about value when I'm there. By that I also am happy to pay a remote premium for those goods or services.

There are people hung up on the absolute costs but that is not me. My issue is that there seem to be park issues working perversely in the background and those interest are not considering the whole community. You may well be right about the nomads being too much trouble but I doubt many towns wouldn't like their spending.

G'day BKS,

Their would be a large slice collected by the likes of Woolies and Caltex that heads to head office and finally overseas but it is the turnover that will/may keep those shops open (for better or worse).

My spend may not have been different and I was happy to pay the show ground fees of $20/night. However had I free camped I may have bought another strawberry and cream at the Strawberry farm!

The most important message I want to get across is that I did enjoy my time there enough to want to come back and I wonder what that is worth as opposed to feeling unwanted and giving the place a miss.

Btw, Green butchery does the best salami I have had for a long time and I pass through Glenn Innes a couple of times a year and will definitely stop an buy some on the way through. Struth would not have known that if I hadn't spent that week there.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 826307

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:15

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:15
Beatit
You were travelling on a budget for travelling expenses of $200 per day ($6000 per month or $72000 per annum); what difference does staying in a caravan park at $40 per day mean? You’re still spending $200 per day in the town, but 20% of this will go to one business and the other $160 will be spread amongst other businesses.

The town doesn’t lose, and may even gain, as the rates on a park are probably higher than an individual shopfront, so the fully functional park will contribute more to the LGA’s finances and therefore less rates for each property owner and they won’t have to contribute to the upkeep of a low cost site.

However, if you remove the accommodation figure from the calculation, you can travel for 20% longer for your $72000; another 10 weeks where you can spend $15000 amongst other cash bound communities (and they should be grateful for it, that you deign to honour their communities with your money)
FollowupID: 826310

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:56

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:56
Thanks Beatit

People like you are to be congratulated for providing volunteer services across the country!

This is a very topical issue that needs a solution.

Part of the problem is we have the RV industry producing a fully self-sufficient product in increasing numbers daily, selling the concept of a “freedom lifestyle” but no-one checked to make sure the appropriate infrastructure was in place to cope with it in the numbers it is manufacturing...

Clearly, the easiest people to vent frustration and anger at is the caravan park operators, many of whom are trying to adjust the business model but hampered by government red-tape.

The wheels of government turn slowly and a “cooling of heads” might work wonders on all fronts as it will take time for this whole issue to evolve.

And in this debate, let us not forget that in many of these communities the other local business’s also have a voice via a local Chamber of Commerce, or in smaller town’s business advocacy groups; if they want to be heard and voice an opinion contrary to park operators they can. But bear in mind, some communities may take a viewpoint that having a caravan park providing services to a full range of visitors, not just self-contained RVs, may be more beneficial to them in the long run. The situation in Monto comes to mind.

All food for thought and hopefully through rational debate well thought out solutions that take account of all stakeholders can be arrived at…

But I do become frustrated when I see forum topics that denigrate many wonderful communities across Australia without giving due regard for the impact it might have – a fair go for all, isn’t that how it goes?

Take care out there...

Cheers, Baz – The Landy

FollowupID: 826312

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:16

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:16
Part of the issue is the mindset that some are happy to pay for goods and fuel etc at a shop and accept that they have overheads and wages to pay but view the patch of grass that they are setting their van up on as a nil cost item and any payments made are just profit (rip off)

Reality is that the park/ oval that they are on has overheads not dissimilar to any other establishment and someone has to pay for it, be it the local community through their council rates or the traveller using the facility.
No doubt there would be community discussion as to whether it is fair that the council taxpayer foots the bill on our behalf in return that we may spend a few bob on other services within the town.
That equation works fine for the local grocer,servo etc but what about all the other general townsfolk who have no direct gain from us being there but their rates are still being spent on our behalf. Can't imagine everyone would be real happy with that arrangement.

User pays.
FollowupID: 826314

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:54

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:54
G'day Nargun,

It's more about being told where to spend the money in a way that maybe only one business might benefit. This is my problem and I don't mind paying for a service but it really should be mine or your decision and not one forced on us because one business was able to convince the council that a free camp is detrimental to their business. Mind you I also use van parks, it is more a principle.

G'day Alby,
I guess that we can only hope that a successful town benefits all. It could manifest in many ways but I'd like to think that at least a struggling country business stays open because they were able to scratch a living. The town folk gets to keep that service and doesn't end up having to drive to Inverell or Armidale because that is their only choice.

Thanks Baz and a fair go for all would be nice, take care.
FollowupID: 826319

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 18:17

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 18:17
"The reality is that many communities are forming a view that the pay-off of providing subsidised camping isn't worth it; on the other hand there will be communities that see value and provide free or subsidised facilities."

The problem is of course that the benefits and (additional) costs of providing basic facilities are rarely, if ever properly quantified or discussed. Why do governments in particular provide seed money to sport for example? The multiplier effect is usually grossly overstated but it exists nevertheless.
FollowupID: 826358

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 18:50

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 18:50
True Bazooka but the underlying fact still remains that there is a cost in providing the service and someone has to pay be it ratepayer or traveller and the various communities decide what is best for them as to how they want to handle it
FollowupID: 826363

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 01:16

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 01:16
Yes Alby but my point was that decisions made in a vacuum, or with minimal accurate information, are often poor decisions. Where facilities exist or can be modified with little impact then it would appear to be sensible to make use of them more than a handful of times each year.

Problem for many small communities is that they aren't capable of lobbying state govts for money for infrastructure and often won't be aware of the little pots of gold available (eg grants for environmental improvement, security etc) which they can apply for. Obviously any council wanting to encourage visitors will have a whole lot of associated expenses, not just those we're discussing. Advertising, providing basic facilities, having a clean and safe environment, all cost local communities.

Lots of things are at play, not the least of which is the lack of state and fed govt $$$ for fundamental infrastructure and upkeep for small communities.
FollowupID: 826404

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 07:41

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 07:41
Bazooka

And your point is central to my view.

If we keep seeing caravan parks closing down we will become reliant on government bodies to provide the infrastructure - they have a vey poor record on tourism infrastructure.

Where will that leave us?

All food for thought...

cheers, Baz - The Landy

FollowupID: 826406

Follow Up By: bks - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 09:58

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 09:58
I think I have a basic objection to my tax payer dollars be it rates or tax going to allow grey nomads to live the life style they want. User should pay. Also I think if some thing doesn't cost, you put no value on it, Look at the condition that some of these freedom camps ( as they like to call them) ,are left in.
FollowupID: 826412

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 14:33

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 14:33
Thats quite a list of the $$$ [1400] you spent , however have you ever done a breakdown of how much of that $1400 actually stays in the town to circulate , you'll find that way less than 10% ,more than likely 4/5% of the $1400 actually stays in the town , the fuel you bought ,servo makes 5/10c per lt , pay costs of running the servo out of that 5/10c per lt , same with everything else ,Actual profit returns after outgoings =bugger all.
FollowupID: 826438

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 17:07

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 17:07
G'day bks,
I think we are making the same point but from different perspectives. I feel that the towns are placing no value on the travellers . Consider this, the only reason tourists spend money in towns is if they are attracted to it and this spend can be substantial those same tourists may bypass the town and not spend their money because there is something more attractive down the road. Those lost tourist dollars are a cost to the town but as you said the town didn't value the loss because it cost them nothing.

G'day Alloy,
Here is the breakdown
Saturday
Fuel at Caltex $214 (this would mostly leave town I'd guess)
Showground Fees $140 stays in town
Sunday
Mitre 10 $237 maybe half stays in town
Target $36 maybe 10% stays in town
Red Lion Inn at Glenco $50 maybe 80% stays in town
Waynes world $8 maybe 10%
Monday
Newsagent $19 maybe 20%
Clothing shop $18 maybe 20%
Book shop $5 100%
Irrigation warehouse $20 maybe 50%
Fabric $20 maybe 50%
Tech store $25 maybe 50%
Tuesday
Strawberry farm $53 100%
Wednesday
Butcher $48 50%
Mitre 10 $50 50%
Woolies $17 10%
Mens shed $53 100%
Camp store $23 50%
Thursday
Inverell bookshop $93 100%
Coffee shop $18 50%
Coles $16 10%
Friday
Bookshop $40 100%
Butcher $53 50%
Strawberry farm $54 100%
Fruit market $10 100%
It is rudimentary and does not consider such things as multipliers, employment just to name a couple but I think it is better than bugger all value to the town.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 826450

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 18:32

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 18:32
Good to see the old "my rates/taxes" getting a run. Ever stop to think that others are subsidising yours in many different areas BKS? That's the thing with societies, we all put in for many things we don't and may never use - most of which have FAR bigger price tickets attached. As I've said already, given the number of people on the move around this country facilities for travellers shouldn't be considered luxuries or "subsidies for lifestyle" any more than roads, public toilets, parks, ovals and the like are for people in larger towns. Guess where the vast majority of taxpayers dollars go? If you guessed country areas you're out of the competition already.

Who is "subsidising" who is a very complex topic and I'd hazard a guess that most people think they're paying for others' "lifestyles" left, right and centre while ignoring the obvious benefits they themselves get. And that is completely ignoring the fact that many "grey nomads" have contributed hugely to this country for decades in ways some people will never comprehend and obviously not appreciate.
FollowupID: 826459

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 20:30

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 20:30
Hullo Bazooka

What an interesting topic re "subsidisation" of who by whom.

The primary public services in the country are mostly heavily underwritten from the urban tax base - telecommunications, roads, postage.

For example, the direct and indirect taxes levied on those of us using the vast majority of country roads carrying a significant volume of traffic don't come within a bull's roar of covering the capital and maintenance cost associated with these roads.

Now I happen to agree with this state of affairs, as we are a society first and an economy second as far as I am concerned. Urban people as well as rural people benefit in the broader scheme of things, despite the resulting cost distortion.

Now with respect to private enterprise and local government camping facilities in towns, I understand the concept of competitive neutrality.

What gets up my nose is when a basic show ground site - ablutions and maybe power, with the grass cut every now and again - is charged out at the same rate as a CP with all the bells and whistles.

Even taking into account the cost advantages of the LG involved and adjusting for these, the daily rate should be at least 40% less with no subsidisation by LG involved. This would provide choice in the market place, providing facilities in line with need and capacity to pay.

Regards
Andrew
FollowupID: 826468

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 14:56

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 14:56
We don't expect others to pay for our caravanning trips. We are very willing to pay for a patch of dirt to park our self contained van on and some private individuals (not just councils) seem able to make a profit out of charging between $10 and $20 dollars for this with dump point and a couple of taps. We also value the peace and the space such places provide. We are willing to pay more for a stay in a caravan park. We understand that some parks charge a high fee because they are in a high rate area with high costs, or because the owners have a large debt to service or because they provide excellent resort style facilities that we do not want although others might. So we usually prefer the smaller basic and cheaper parks and see no reason to be ashamed of that.
Yes ratepayers pay to support local tourism in many ways. We don't feel bad about that either as, living in Brisbane, we pay very high rates and lots of tourists are enjoying our parklands, free tourist buses, public toilets etc while we are travelling elsewhere.
Tourism benefits all communities and there are many different markets, including caravanners, with different needs and budgets.. Canny councils and businesses look for ways to attract different types of tourists - the more the better! It is not really helpful to denigrate particular groups of potential tourists or to give preference in Council support of a select group of local businesses at the expense of others.Lynne
AnswerID: 540445

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 19:15

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 19:15
Looks like I will have to further investigate the benefits of these self contained RV's of which many speak.

So if I have this straight, these vehicles will, without external reliance, generate all their power needs including what is required to operate some little luxuries such as the air con I am enjoying in this caravan park, where by the way it got to 37 degrees today, and do so without bringing the wrath of the anti generator brigade down upon my head.
Generate a never ending supply of fresh potable water. Or do they have enough power to drag around a 20,000+ liter tanker?
Hygienically dispose of all the commercial and human waste that seems to go with day to day living and do so without reliance on a dump point that must be supplied and serviced by that magical mystical creature that costs zero.
Navigate themselves to free camping spots so that I can take advantage of all these benefits.
I am assuming the initial and on going costs of such a vehicle will be well within the financial abilities of the average grey nomad.

WOW! Such a machine. I must get looking.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 540453

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 19:54

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 19:54
Really! Yes we are self contained for power and we buy our gas. And yes we use dump points provided by various bodies, including councils and the CMCA and private providers. Yes we fill up with water at service stations where we buy fuel or tourist information centres etc with permission at very small cost to local ratepayers - don't forget those tourists using Brisbane facilities we help pay for while we use facilities other ratepayers help pay for! Yes we drive on the roads that we all help pay for! And yes! we are happy to pay for a camp site if it is provided at a council or private person's cost. And yes, we shop for food, fuel, clothing and presents for grandkids and entry to local attractions as we go. What is your problem? Lynne
FollowupID: 826326

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 21:46

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 21:46
No problem Lynne. Health is pretty good considering my advanced years. Finances? Well, just about all the average guys and gals that we know would like a few bob more but generally quite content with our lot in life. Family? Yeah usual odd bit of bickering between kids and grandies, but nothing out of the ordinary. Friends? lost a very good mate a month or so ago to the dreaded cancer. That was a bit of a downer. The old ute has just hauled our van "around the block" without any serious issues.
But thanks for asking anyway (;=))

Now about this "self contained' rig you own.
Great that you never need any extra input to balance your power needs.
Not sure about how the "they use our stuff so we use theirs" equates to self contained, but let's move on.
I see you do rely on your water supply being topped up by someone else.
Shopping for grandkids??? HAH. I had the GVM of the van upgraded to cart the grand kids prezzies home. True, I did.
Yep, we too shop for food, drinks clothing, etc and visit local attractions. You been on the sea plane flight to the Horizontal Waterfalls? The flight over the Kings Cascades? The train ride to and skycar ride back from Kuranda plus the markets without end here and every second town we visited. Anyway I'm sure you get the idea.
Yep, we too pay drivers licence, vehicle licence etc to drive on the roads.
Sounds like a lot of similarities.
I see one small definition we differ on. I don't refer to myself as "self sufficient".

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 826331

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 08:57

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 08:57
OK Pop! Sounds like we are nit picking about dictionary definitions here! However it is defined we can carry all that we need for a week or two and we do not help ourselves to water (or anything else) without permission. (Nor has permission ever been denied!) Like many others, we certainly do not need jumping pillows, games rooms or chlorinated pools so we try to avoid these when we look for a caravan park - there are still plenty of old fashioned basic parks around who give us a friendly welcome and charge a reasonable fee. Some are close to free or cheap camps and still do very well because of their service and attitude and despite their lack of resort style add ons. Enjoy your travels! That's what it is really all about! Lynne
FollowupID: 826349

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:55

Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:55
The following thread appearing late last week might be of interest to contributors in this thread on a couple of levels. Firstly, it provides an update on current access to Ulupna Island in Victoria, a popular camping spot.

Access to camping areas stopped (Ulupna Island Victoria)

Importantly, what it does flesh out is a point I often make and made a couple of times in this thread. Reading between the lines, and feedback from others, it would appear this area may remain closed for a period of time because Parks Victoria does not have the funding avaialbe to fix the damaged roads to an acceptable level to be able to re-open.

I’ve chanted long and hard that we should not be reliant or have any expectation that goverement bodies, whether Federal, State, local, or semi-autonomous bodies like Parks Victoria, will rush to make funds available for tourism infrastructure – they have an atrocious track record on it. This particular instance may serve to underscore this further…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 540584

Sponsored Links