The Dukes Hwy is Now a Much Safer Place.

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 18:58
ThreadID: 109829 Views:2655 Replies:18 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Returning from a week in the Barossa Valley on Tuesday 14OCT14 , I depart Horsham eastwards at 9.30am in the 200, towing the caravan. Weather conditions were beyond deplorable, however had to be home in Melbourne by 15OCT14 for some medical appointments.

We, (my wife and I) had taken two vehicles to cover a swag of visiting logistics of relatives etc in the time available. Must say, I highly recommend the two car travelling idea, her driving one vehicle and myself the other. What a fabulous way to travel, if you get the gist that is.

Anyway, I had a few oncoming vehicles flicking their head lights at me which indicated to me, that some sort of Police/speed camera thingy was up ahead which didn’t bother me as I was towing under the limit.

Just before entering Stawell my wife informs on the UHF that a marked Police car has passed her and is sitting right behind me. So I have a look in the mirror and sure enough I can just see the dude hanging in there behind me. Approx three seconds later he pulls out a bit and all the ‘lights’ go on and I pull over right on the 60kph entry sign to Stawell, VIC.

Out he gets and walks up to the driver’s window and asks for my drivers licence which I produce, nothing else is said and he returns to his vehicle. My wife had by this time pulled in behind him.

About five or so minutes later he returns and walks to the front of the car and kneels down on the ground and appears to look along the side of the 200. I am starting to think that there is something wrong with the vehicle and/or caravan, such as too wide or illegal something or others etc etc.

He then gets up and comes back to the driver’s window and proceeds to give to give me the CAUTION:

“I must warn you that you are not obliged to say anything and that anything you do say may be give in evidence at a later time. etc etc etc”.

Holy chit! Batman, you only get that prior to being questioned for some criminal offence of serious import. Keep in mind that NOTHING has been said other than produce your licence, which I had complied with and which he still had in his hand. My mind was starting to spin like a Merry-go-Round. (a) it couldn’t be a terrorist thing because he had obviously identified me on his on board computer and no ‘terrorist flags’ or arrest warrants were out for me, (b) my drivers licence, vehicle and caravan rego were all current from his computer checks. (c) Maybe he suspected I was a narcotics courier or possibly an arms dealer etc. This didn’t look good at all and I fully anticipated the next move would be – ‘please step out of the car sir’ then ‘put your hands on the car where I can see them’.

Guess what, nup, he doesn’t do that all, he produces a yellow thingy like a multimeter that was in his left hand and I hadn’t seen and breathalyses me. Not a molecule of alcohol in me. He then says ‘are you travelling with that vehicle that has pulled in behind me’. I say ‘yes it is my wife’ ( maybe it’s her that’s in the chit, whatever it maybe) He says ‘that’s okay then.

This is the punch line of it all

He says ‘have you got your headlights on’

I say ‘yes’

He says ‘are the on high beam’

I have a look at the dash and can’t see any lights on due to the sun and the sun glasses I was wearing. So I removed the sun glasses and sure enough the dark blue light indicated high beam was on and I switched it off.

I said ‘yes’

He says ‘didn’t you see those vehicles flicking their lights at you.

I said ‘yes I did’

He says ‘well, why didn’t you switch your lights off of high beam’

I said ‘I had no idea they were on high beam’.

I couldn’t very well say that I thought they were flicking me to warn me of his presence on the highway ahead of me.

He repeated the same question and I repeated the same answer and he returned to his vehicle.

He came back about 10 minutes later carrying my copy of a traffic infringement notice for Failing to dip headlights $221.00 and 1 point.

I said ‘thank you very much’ to Leading Senior Constable B Van Maanen (No. 22803) of the Northern Grampians Highway Patrol and proceeded on my way.

There you have it, the Dukes Highway is now a much safer place that I dipped my headlights, which I was totally unaware were on high beam in broad daylight.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pepper2 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:40

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:40
If the police was only behind you prior to pulling you over how did he determine your lights were on high beam while travelling ??

AnswerID: 540413

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:45

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:45
I am guessing that he was parked off some where and I drove right passed him without seeing him.
FollowupID: 826264

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:51

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 19:51
All I can say is you were lucky you only got a fine and didn't kill or injure someone, that is so so irresponsible to use high beam during the day and obviosly you were not paying attention to what other motorest were trying to tell you....... You should hang your head in shame.

All I can say is lucky you were not speeding or had a cold beer...... You might of been apprehended at gun point, frisked and then locked up if luck was on your side...... Or he could of just shot you claiming you resisted arrest and it was self defence.

What ever happened to a friendly warning and a smile.

Obviously the crime you commited is a code 1 event for the country copper, he proberly went back to base and bragged about it.

You have to shack your head in disbelief and seriously I would contact your local member of parliament and complain as this is just revenue rasing at it's best ....... $221 is a far bit of coin for such a minor offense, it could be the differance between some others paying bills, putting cloths and food on the table or not.
AnswerID: 540414

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:27

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:27
Contact your local member , what for ? He won't be able to do anything about it . I know it sux , ya get pinged for something minor but that's the way it is .
FollowupID: 826267

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:37

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:37
Yes! it was definitely a Yes sir three bags full sir, suck it up situation that I will mention from time to time for years to come.

I know that should anybody blink their lights at me again whether day or night, I will be checking the high beam dash light, column switch and then visually check the lights from the front in case the other two have failed.

It was just fate I suppose that it was my turn to be 'tipped over', however as they say - you do the crime, you do the time. (LOL)

FollowupID: 826269

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:54

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:54
Logging a complant with a poly is a good idea and does work....... What you should do is find out what the act was written for, you may find it is only applicable to dusk to dawn driving.

Driving during the day on high beam is not overly annoying or dangerous but do it a night and the impact would be much greater.

You would be suprised what part of some acts the officials don't understand fully and don't change thier interpretation until someone takes action against them.
FollowupID: 826270

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:03

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:03
Here is a little bit about headlights......

The Road Rules VicRoads Roadworthiness requirements cover the operation and use of vehicle lights in Victoria. The Road Rules simply state that a driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.
FollowupID: 826271

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:47

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:47
The headlights were definitely on high beam, even though I was unaware of it and it would be just a case of 'wasting good time and money' chasing 'bad time and money' pursuing this in any form.

I'm not complaining about it, far from it, It was the best piece of theatre I have ever seen and a story for campfires for ever more.

I am going to laminate the TIN for preservation for all to see.

'Failing to dip headlights at 1010hrs'

Also, as pointed out to me by 'Mr perfect', it was totally remiss of me not knowing that my headlights were on high beam and in view of that I going to enroll in a course of 'awareness' so that I will be just as perfect as he. (LOL)
FollowupID: 826275

Follow Up By: OBJ - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:09

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:09
You were booked because you were driving on high beam. You admitted you were. So you copped a fine. Cop it sweet and move on. Christ only knows why you bothered to post it here. What were you seeking? A sympathy vote? Pay the fine,stop whingeing, dip your lights and move on, Princess.

All the bush lawyers in this forum will have a different take, but then they don't have to pay the bills.

OBJ
FollowupID: 826293

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:03

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:03
Ooooooooooooo! Mr Perfect, flexing your literary non existant writing skills certainly does not become you.

If you had used what reading skills you had by the time your formal education ceased, you may have discovered that the fine was paid yesterday, offence fully admitted and exactly why I posted it on the forum.

As to moving on, well that would have been abundantly clear as well, though maybe not in your case.

I would seriously recommend that you listen to, and follow your own advice. Also, maybe take a double dose of your pills.
FollowupID: 826313

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 18:31

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 18:31
Dust-Devil.... where did this come from..... and why?

Sorry you have lost me with you sudden abusive attack!

I can not see anywhere in my post of me criticising or attacking you verbally.

It look pretty obvious with an attitude and temper you have just demonstrated why you got the fine.

So who is this Mr Perfect........ If you could not see in my original reply I was have a tongue in cheek dig at the police officer and how he reacted and not at you (I thought you were hard done by) I think you owe me a true apology if your man enough of course.

FollowupID: 826320

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 18:38

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 18:38
olcoolone you need to chill mate, he was responding to the holier than thou attitude of OBJ who didn't read all the replies and just posted on an assumption.
FollowupID: 826321

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 21:56

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 21:56
...... Then sorry Devil-Dust.

It was the Oooooooooooo! Mr Perfect that made me think he was having a go at me......supose thats the problem with a string of posts when you don't address the person in question.....

Yeap my mistak then.

FollowupID: 826333

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:31

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:31
If you do the crime you pay the fine.
BTW if you had of answered that the flicking headlights you though were a warning to his presence he may have let you off. Your answer of ignoring the flicking lights I would suggest would rile anyone, especially a cop.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540419

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:37

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:37
Yes it was totally remiss of me not to understand that the odd on coming motorist/s flicking his/her lights was warning me that my lights were on high beam.

I am a true believer of the old adgage that you learn something new everyday and yesterday I received my Masters in learning.

If you read exactly what I have written you will see that I am not complaining one bit, in fact I paid the TIN today.

It was however, the finest bit of 'theatre' I have ever been privileged to witness, and as to what riles and does not rile a cop, I have no idea.
FollowupID: 826274

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:41

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:41
Sorry, DD - I can't find any sympathy in my heart for you.
If you weren't taking notice of your headlight position, you weren't paying your full attention to your driving.

Yes, he could have let you go with a warning, but it's obvious you could afford to pay, to help smarten up your attention to your driving.
I guess you'll check that beam position regularly from now on, so your education is done.
AnswerID: 540420

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:09

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:09
Oh yeah! and all of the above.
FollowupID: 826272

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:33

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:33
I think you have every right to be peeved. if the law reads as quoted in another reply, I might be a little inclined to see if I could find some other cases to refer to, then take it to court. The law appears to say nothing about high beam, merely that others are not dazzled. I think I'd be arguing that you reasonable presumed other less virtuous drivers than yourself were trying to warn of plod and as you were driving within appropriate limits, you ignored them as a good citizen should. I reckon it might be quite difficult to prove that the law (which talks about dazzle, not high beam) was broken in daylight. I'd be asking him under oath where he was stationed when he became aware of your headlights and why if that is why you were pulled over he didn't immediately raise that as the issue. $221 for a night offence seems reasonable but not for a daytime oversight.
AnswerID: 540422

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:30

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:30
DD,
just a couple of things here.

First one is, I normally just cop it as I reckon they have caught up with me for all the other indiscretions I have made beforehand, yes we all break the road rules even if unintentionally and don't get pinged. Maybe it is just catch up time for those times you haven't got a ticket. To those who say they never break any road rules, yes you do and probably every day.

Second, I have witnessed people with a clean brief writing in and explaining what happened and then being let off, they just have to not be booked again for the next 12 months. A little defence you could push is the fact others were flashing their high beams you also could add in your defence that you were travelling with your lights on to add to the safety of oncoming traffic, they have been pushing that message.

Third one is. Lights are becoming a very big problem and I don't think it will be long before they will clamp down on them. Hid's, led's and fog lights being turned into eye burners. A local mob here is already pushing for a blitz and I will support them.

To make you feel better, I once ended up in handcuffs at Raymond Terrace over one headlight bulb being blown on the truck (mouth like a barn door this boy), didn't I back pedal quickly and didn't it cost me. I think it was 4 tyres on the tri with not enough tread even though they were just legal and the one headlight being out.

Hope Senior Constable Maanen doesn't read this as he may pass your rego on to other's for you to come under special attention. LOL.

AnswerID: 540423

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:21

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:21
I am not peeved about this other than being just plain gobsmacked.

If the dude had just walked up and asked me were the headlights on high beam, I would then have determined that they were, said yes and turned them off, as what happened 10-15 minutes after asking for my drivers licence.

He then could of made the decision to either ping or warn me.

In his defence I would suggest that he sticks to a set regime that he has learned by rote, to apply to every vehicle intercept he conducts.

That way he doesn't run the risk of overlooking anything and gets him 5 stats for the intercept.

The whole thing was just plain weird.
FollowupID: 826283

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 06:41

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 06:41
DD,
I think you are very unlucky and if I was a cop I would have used discretion and just let you know your lights were on high beam.

If that same officer lived where I do, he could have a field day with other enforcement officers over their speeding and not using their indicators correctly on roundabouts. They push the message to travel with lights on and 50% of them don't do it.

Yes I also find it weird also.

FollowupID: 826284

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 23:17

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 23:17
The law also says you must dip your light when 200 metres from on coming traffic or when behind , it didn't mention anything about the time of day/night .
AnswerID: 540426

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:03

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 00:03
I would be wondering why the officer chose to ignore the oncoming traffic who were clearly breaking the law by flashing their lights - yet chose to give you an infringement notice.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 540428

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 07:13

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 07:13
I agree. We all know, as will the magistrate, what was almost certainly being signalled by the flashing lights. That plus the time it took the officer to get to the point plus the fact that it is daytime and I reckon this would be worth going to court.
FollowupID: 826285

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 09:49

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 09:49
I don't think DD is to concerned about the whole thing he was just telling us a interesting story , being read his rights I would of thought WTF have I done .
But to go to court for a couple of hundred $$ and thankfully only one point , I don't think so .

Copper says DD was driving with High Beem on dazzling other motorists
DD says yes I was but didn't know sorry , didn't really matter anyway coz it was daylight , what do you really think the Magistrate will do , but I suppose a few hours sitting in court can be a entertaining day out
FollowupID: 826290

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 07:30

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 07:30
G'day Dust-Devil

I feel for you buddy - but on the up side you should be happy to know that you have in a small way helped this once great country by contributing to the billions of dollars required to pay public servants hefty superannuation and the billions that are required to pay the thousand of people who don't want to work and the new wannabe Aussies who need looking after in detention centres !

Hint - to avoid this major crime happening again - go to your local auto electrician and get him to install a 100mm diameter red flashing light with a 70 decibel siren on your dash when high beam is switched on during the day !!

Happy and safe travelling ( with or without your lights on )

Gazz
AnswerID: 540432

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:06

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:06
Gazz

Yeah! it was just one of those days that you suck up and file in the 'life experience' bin.

I decided to post it on the forum to (a) raise peoples awareness of this sinful act (b) point out that blinking headlights could mean something other than a speed camera or police trap and (c) be very careful whilst in the North Grampian Hyway Patrol bailiwick.

The most interesting thing about it all is the number of replies to this post from people who are just 'perfect' and/or 'expert' in anything and everything.

Today is another day and life goes on (LOL)
FollowupID: 826292

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 08:32

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 08:32
Think DD that had you been in your vehicle with the HID driving lights and on high beam a truck may have run over you by then. The other version may have been however, that Mr Plod may have got you locked away for several years.

Mrs DD may then have been able to sew in comfort and host the grandies to her hearts content.
AnswerID: 540434

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 08:29

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 08:29
John and DD, If DDD had been travelling in the vehicle with DD, she would have known that the headlughts were on high beam and advised accordingly. So it would have been much cheaper to travel together.
I heard that up in Hughenden in Qld that if you park you're vehicle and caravan across muliple carparks (and caravan parking is some distance from the town centre) the local copper is very keen to give you an infringement notice for your parking indiscretion. He must have saved countless poor driving incidents in doing his duty. We had heard of his attitude to tourists so we took our dollars elsewhere.
If you had ventured up into the Riverland, your route home may have been different and then avoided the incident.

DD are you venturing up to the Hill for this years Challenge?.
FollowupID: 826345

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 09:09

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 09:09
Oh come on get over it.

Even in broad daylight, high beam can represent a real hazard, particularly in certain situtions.....the other drivers continually flashing you indicates they thaught it was a problem.

The copper was just doing his job.....and from your account, by the book.

Remember too that it is an obligation that all drivers should be aware of what their vehicles are doing at all times and operate them accordingly.

Just be thankfull that he did not zip you for " failing to show due care and attention", which by his system of questioning he has proof that you are guilty of.......look up the penalty for that one.

Remember every time a police officer opens his mouth, he is giving you the opportunity to admit guilt and incriminate yourself...which most people do redily.

In almost every traffic offence situation, you where either knowingly committing an offence or guilty of "failing to show due care and attention" the questioning system revolves arround that......probably both.

The Dukes Highway is most definitely a safer place due to this officers diligence.

cheers
AnswerID: 540436

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:52

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:52
Bantam

You're not known as the forum resident expert on 'anything & everything' for nothing and as such I defer to your scintillating and immediate grasp of the event described.

It was very remiss of me to not be aware that the headlights were on high beam which I readily admitted to the Police Officer concerned and numerous times in this thread.

I readily take on board your insightful and illuminating recommendations and will endeavor to improve my awareness etc etc of everything driving related.

In fact I will go one better and direct anyone and everyone to you personally for expert advice on any queries that they may have re vehicles, driving and living in general.

You have a good day now, and myself, well, I will be seeking a higher plain of awareness.

FollowupID: 826291

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:50

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:50
I don't claim to be an expert on everything...I don't have to be, the basics is usually sufficient.........but it becomes plainly obvius to me that many simply do not grasp the simplest of basics......like the traffic rules.....the pretty straight forward ones, not the obscure ones.

Then not having taken to time to aquant themselves of the simple basics...or rejecting the simple basics when explained....or knowing and understamding the simple basic, but doing otherwise, because they think they can get away with it......go on to claim they have been hard done by when things don't work out like they would prefeer.

Your the one that came on a public open forum whining that you had been right fully nicked for a valid and reasonable traffic offence.

An offence BTW that probably pisses a hell of a lot of people right off.

You where the one failing to show due care and attention.

Its not my fault and certainly not the coppers fault that you are several hundred dollars out of pocket.

so think youself lucky that the copper pinged you for the lesser of the offences you where, by your own admission guilty of and not both.

I mention a simple principle that anybody that finds themselves under questioning from the police or any other official or inspector can do well to understand.

Their line of questioning is specifically designed to get you to incriminate yourself.....and many of them record your answers on the recorder in their pocket...they may later transcribe to their official note book.

Do you know the speed limit on this section of road? (standard scripted question)
If you say "yes", it is established that you knew the speed limit, if you say "no", you where failing to show due care and attention.

Do you have any reason why you where exceeding the speed limit to day? ( standard scripted question)......there IS no right answer......every answer is incriminating.

Its all about getting a cofession and not having to rely on evidence.

If you think you have been wrongly done by and wish to chalenge the matter in court......(this was mentioned as a possibilty earlier)......if you have made an admission of guilt you do not have a leg to stand on regardless of the quality of evidence or the lack of it.

I do not claim to know it all......but I do claim to know a hell of alot of basic stuff that helps me get by and keeps me out of trouble.

cheers

FollowupID: 826318

Follow Up By: fredwho - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 21:30

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 21:30
I can just imagine DD driving obliviously on high beam, thinking he was outsmarting the police watching out for a police trap ahead,... all the while blinding an oncoming driver who loses control of his vehicle watching it in the rear view mirror cartwheeling off into the scrub in a cloud of dust and pieces, all the while screaming out in delight and banging the steering wheel in unreserved joy and reveling in it on the UHF.

Can't think of a better person this police matter could have happened to.
FollowupID: 826330

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:55

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:55
Talk about a stupid comment Fred.
Not helpful.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826337

Follow Up By: Slow one - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 06:56

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 06:56
Don't concern yourselves with Fred as he is nothing more than a troll.
FollowupID: 826344

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 02:30

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 02:30
"I don't claim to be an expert on everything"
not yet but you are certainly working your way thru the list :-)
FollowupID: 826405

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 09:01

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 09:01
some people just make it so easy to look clever ;)
FollowupID: 826408

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 13:37

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 13:37
Hey Dust Devil,

if you live in NSW and have a good driving record for the last 10 years you can ask for a caution which means no conviction recorded and no fine to pay. But you must have a good driving record or it is no go. I have received that privilege twice over the last 30 years and I thank the NSW police force for allowing that little privilege to me.

You could try your Police department and ask if the same privilege applies in Vic.

You should have received a caution and it is this sort of policing that does the service no real good. That officer had a choice as to whether he applied the TIN or not. Perhaps he misread your responses as being arrogant. I am sure they weren't.

If I were you I would definitely not be riding my pushbike on the foot path with out a light after dark any time soon. The consequences might be dire. LOL.

Someone told me about a copper that pulled up a woman for some minor infringement
and he proceeded to caution her about her driving and she said Oh well it looks like I'll be making a donation to the policeman's ball. The copper replied "Policemen don't have .... "

He closed his book and headed back to his vehicle and drove off.

I was assured it was a true story. LOL.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540444

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:39

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:39
There is a address on the back of the ticket the cop gave you to write to , you must admit fault and if you have good record doesn't have to be 10 years either , there is a good chance you will get off

I know several ppl that have been successful , including my Wife , she got pinged a couple of K's over in 70 zone by a camera , wrote the letter got a reply yep ok no probs . Then a few weeks later another letter , I said ha ha they have changed their mind but nup it said sorry for any inconvenience, work that one out

The joke about the Policeman Balls has been around for ever all over the World , fair chance it's only a joke .
FollowupID: 826311

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 20:36

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 20:36
Gday DD
Well done old son, you have brought out all the lawyers in our system in one post ,
See you at the Pyrenees , maybe i can camp under the 52' trailer if it rains.....
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540456

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:15

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:15
DD,

You started out relating an amusing little anecdote about getting pinged for driving with your headlights on high beam. Why you would put that on a public forum I have no idea.
It went from that to insinuating that the copper was being a bit officious. Maybe even a little weird.
After a few replies suggested you should just get over it the whole tone of your replies started to slowly change from admitting doing the crime and doing the time to personal attacks.
My old mate the bantam and myself have had the odd disagreement or two on this forum but I have to agree completely with him in this case.
Suck it up and move on. You are starting to come across like a little boy caught with his hand in the biscuit barrel.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 540459

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 23:15

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 23:15
Gotta love this site. A driver committing a very minor traffic misdemeanour and a cop being overly officious (or "doing his job" depending on your perspective) is somehow the fault of public servants' and their super, the unemployed, and refugees to boot. Surprised aborigines, climate change and women didn't get a run there also. In reality we can (with obvious 100% certainty) say the reason why DD got pinged is the good Snr Constable agrees with Joe Hockey that poor people don't drive (far) so everybody on the road is well-enough off to pay fines for even the tiniest transgression.

It was a good story DD and I agree it sounds like the good constable has been watching a few too many American movies - unless you look middle eastern or wear singlets and have bikie tatoos of course. But that's another story.
AnswerID: 540463

Reply By: Freshstart - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 09:07

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 09:07
As you were not speeding, why didn't you check your lights. A $221 slip up mate.

This is another example of how signals between drivers have changed over the years. Once upon a time a brief flash meant "Your lights are too bright". Now that we are concentrating on the so called "revenue raising" role of the constabulary this has obviously been overlooked.

We recently hired a van for a trip, which will be the last time, and got flashed a few times. And I blinked back. Interestingly they all waved back as we passed. Well maybe it is not totally lost. With hindsight I was in the wrong not getting the lights adjusted. We rushed off to the holiday as we were due to meet a group on a specified day and really didn't want to miss them. However we rarely travel at night and normally don't use DRLs so it wasn't expected to be an issue. Wrong!

I will still blink at bright lights even in the daytime. And also at those cars with the DRLs on at the same time as the headlights. This is wrong in some states. It is always good to see the brake lights come on. They are either stopping to try and adjust the lights (very rare) or better still slow down because they think there is a hidden constable up the road (chuckle).

Safe driving people.
AnswerID: 540469

Reply By: Scotts Paj - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 09:50

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 09:50
Hi Dust devil, I live not far from Stawell and the story goes (if it was the same bloke, highway patrol?) that the coppa from Stawell defected his own mothers car as she was coming out of her driveway. He comes to our town (60kms away) a fair bit and people run the other way!!!
AnswerID: 540476

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 13:25

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 13:25
DD,

Are you sure that is how the conversation went??

I reckon that it was along these lines -

Police Officer - Where are you from?

DD - Melbourne

Police Officer - Have you lived there all your life?

DD - Not yet hehehe

After which I reckon the Police Officer read you your rights LOL

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 540513

Sponsored Links