Useful and informative MRDWA road info book online

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:10
ThreadID: 109831 Views:2780 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just in case some people don't know about this - but MRDWA have available online, a neat and very informative "Distance map" book of W.A.

Now, before you say, "so what"? - this is a particularly comprehensive 68 page booklet for all you Roads Scholars who want good info on W.A. road routes.

It contains clear and concise info on the following;

Straight line diagrams and route maps
Route numbering system
Travel information: Driver and general information
Distances to towns and localities from Perth: Alphabetical list
Distances in the Perth Metropolitan area
Distances between capital cities in Australia
State travel time and distance chart
Registered public weighbridges
Bridges with mass restrictions
Overhead bridge heights
Focal point markers
Focal point names and abbreviations
Online references
Grey waste disposal sites

It contains no Four Wheel Driving info, apart from some references to a few remote roads.
It's all about information for travelling around the whole of the W.A. maintained road network - and it provides all the basic info you need if you're coverng a lot of distance - plus a lot more info than Google provides, and info that road atlases don't always have in them.

The book isn't overloaded with a lot of superfluous information, unlike many maps, and I think that is what makes it attractive and useful for travellers.

It's in PDF format and you can save it to your hard drive for reference anytime.

MRDWA Distance Book

Cheers, Ron.

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:36

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:36
Good one Ron. Could come in very handy.
Let's hope other States copy the idea.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540440

Reply By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 15:34

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 15:34
Gidday Ton

I have had the hard copy for a few years now and I agree it is a valuable resource.

Might have to update as it is about three editions behind.

I know it is on line, but I am a dinosaur, I like printed things!

Cheers

AnswerID: 540446

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 15:59

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 15:59
G'day Rocco - Yep, I'm of your generation, I like printed stuff in the hand.
At least with the printed stuff, the battery doesn't go flat right as you need it, and it doesn't say "No service", "SOS calls only" - or show you a blue screen of death! LOL

There's definitely still a place for both, but minimising the amount of paper is good. With an online source, it's good that the info is regularly updated. MRDWA seem to produce a new, updated version of this booklet every year, so you can keep up with developments.

The way development goes on in this state, a bloke's lost if he doesn't travel any route for more than month, such are the rapid changes!

The beauty of the MRD booklet is that it's produced by the people who oversee the road network, and their info is pretty accurate.
I'm a little bit over Google telling me it can't find a rural road, even though it's a wide, well-maintained gravel road and in frequent use.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 826308

Reply By: Member - johnat - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 20:05

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 20:05
As a student of acronyms and other abbreviations, I have decoded the MRDWA.

I appears to be the Main Roads Division of Wasted Resources.

Mind you, I could be wr... wr ... Arrr, you know the word!

Point is, many of these abbreviations make a whole lot of sense to residents of the locality, but bugger all to the rest of us. OK, use them in the title of the thread, but please, for the sanity of the rest of us, expand them in the body of the post (at least the first time) so we know to whom/what you refer.
AnswerID: 540454

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 20:34

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 20:34
Sorry, Johnat - I do understand that most East Coasters believe no people live West of the S.A. border and it's only a desert wasteland populated by a few million roos and rabbits and the odd camel. [;-)

However, I thought most people understood MRD or DMR, as it's more commonly called in the East.

I must confess I just couldn't find room in one line in the title, to be able to write ...

"Useful and informative Mains Road Department of Western Australia road info book online".

But, yes - now that you've alerted me - that there are many people in the world who have no idea that Main Roads Departments exist - nor that there is a state of Western Australia, with living people who actually reside there - I therefore admit, I could have done better.

It appears that the simple insertion of some dots and a space cures the mystery. I'll never forget this very important lesson - thank you. [:-)

(PS - I know that Google automatically presumes that WA is Washington (state), so yes, it can be confusing)

Google search for M.R.D. W.A.
FollowupID: 826328

Sponsored Links