Caravan sealing

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 13:25
ThreadID: 109851 Views:2218 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Last year we had a major rebuild of the caravan ……. this year more musty smells …. seems the tail lights let in water despite being siliconed in - the lights were not a quality product it seems (NOT original equipment I add - replaced by a dealer a couple of years previous). But this time we have got to it quicker than last time and minimised the damage. If you've got a van, and have been through a wet season or two or three, regardless of whether you THINK you are ok, get it checked by a competent caravan repairer - my work is being done by the Caravan Shed at Cockburn. The insurance companies are not accepting claims unless, maybe, if the preventative measures have been taken out regularly during routine servicing.

Looks like we are in for a burster weekend here in the South Western corner of the country …….. NOT

cheers
Laurie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 16:14

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 16:14
Everyone seems to think silicone is the bees knees. Its not.

I used to be a roofer and found that due to different expansion on materials Silicone would always pull off one surface or the other.

We used a Sikaflex type sealant and had far less trouble as it never sets hard like Silicone and therefore moves with the material.

Used it on long internal gutters and a good wide spread of 100mm would allow the lengths of gutter to slide on each other in hot weather and not leak later .

Even windscreen sealant is better than silicone.
AnswerID: 540515

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 19:50

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 19:50
Ditto x2

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 826398

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 21:31

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 21:31
The other thing with Sikaflex, is don't forget to use the primer before use!

FollowupID: 826401

Follow Up By: Fossil Phill - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 22:21

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 22:21
Silicone has no place on a caravan (or anywhere else in my opinion) so the first thing you need to do is remove it all, and it isn't easy to do. A plastic scraper and mineral turps is a good start, then a rag & more turps when the bulk of it has been scraped off, until it is all gone.

The product you want to use then is Sika-Lastomer 511-16 (part number 80270)

It is a mastic type material that never goes hard, but will skin over where exposed to atmosphere, and once skinned can and should be painted over. It is very easy to use, and excess cleans off with turps, even days later.
Although it is primarily for use between two strata, it can be used as a bead over the outside of an existing overlap joint etc. but should be painted over if used that way, but having said that, it will last for many many years without paint. If you use this product correctly, you will never have it leak, and will never need to be re-caulked, well, not in your lifetime anyway.
Cheers, Phill.
(P.S. I used to work on a caravan production line)
FollowupID: 826477

Sponsored Links