building trailer

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:51
ThreadID: 10987 Views:1787 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, OK, does anyone have a good plan for an offroad trailer with all the extra bits, ie jerry can holders, gas bottle holders etc?
I built one about 14 years ago and its been around Oz 3 times,GRR twice and numerous other"dont take a trailer" places with nothing at all going wrong. Yep she was built to last. My problem is that the new quad will not quite fit in the tray( i made it 30mm to narrow!!)
So, wanting to make a newie i want to get all the latest ideas and fit them up, would even try independent suspension!!

I know i could probably get one from PAPPAS in Fremantle but the $800 to send it to Darwin would kill me(this is already added in Darwin tax to local models!!)

OK thanks for your help

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:06

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:06
Do what I did and go around the camping shows and see what everyone else has done.
As camping shows are a bit thin on the ground up there, try looking at trailer sales places and at the endless stream of tourists trailers and ask what works and what doesn't.
My main suggestion is keep it simple, less things to break the better.
AnswerID: 49192

Reply By: Mick - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:45

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:45
We built our own with coil springs, trailing arms and heavy duty shock absorbers-most important. Its only a boat trailer, but stick a box on it and youve got a quad trailer!
Best off to use an axle with the same stud pattern as your car.
We chopped the ends off a diff housing and used a large pipe between them, as the solid square or round axels always bent.
Its had 3 trips now, and one was a 4-1/2 month trip up the cape.
Ps do you think its worth taking a quad to the Kimberleys, as ive got a TRX 400EX, and would love to take it, but the room factor in the ute is the problem.
Im not towing the boat, as my brother is putting a diesel in board with a jet unit in it as we speak!
AnswerID: 49232

Reply By: horrace - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 22:44

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 22:44
yes,take a quad if you can fit it in. A lot of places up the Mitchel rd are better if you make camp and set off on the quad.

Yes i have looked around at peoples gear and i could do something like that but as i am also slack it would be nice if someone had a nice litt\le plan for me to read!!!
AnswerID: 49327

Sponsored Links