Early Access to tha Cape?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:20
ThreadID: 109916 Views:2168 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone driven to the Cape in late April/early May?
I am aware the wet season is considered to run until late April, but would like to hear from anyone who's actually been there done that as early as April.

We've been up there 3 times before, but usually around July/August. There is a possibility we may need to return on a work project (I know .. what a bugger .. but someone's gotta do it) and I was considering late April, hence my original question for anyone with first hand knowledge. The project would include all of the communities as well as the usual Weipa and the Tip etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:59

Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:59
G'day Rosco,

We did it in 93 and I was pretty lucky as the decision turned out OK. We were camping with kids and no fridges or other modern day conveniences. The roads were good and so were the crossings. It is stating the obvious, as you already know, that it will depend on the nature of the wet season. This won't be known until a little closer to your departure. Can't imagine you'd have a problem getting to Weipa unless it was really bad and same goes for the tip. Lockhart River I would say could be more difficult and the likes of Pomperaw and Kowanyama may be harder still.

You probably already know this but anyway.

Kind regards and happy travels
AnswerID: 540800

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 14:06

Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 14:06
Thanks mate

That's more or less how I see it too. Will obviously have a better idea closer to the mark.

The last time we went up for a similar reason (work) was in 2007 and we went straight from Pormpuraaw to Kowanyama via the connecting track over the Mitchell. From memory it wouldn't need to be too wet to come to grief in that neck of the woods.

Lockhart R wasn't too bad going in and we came out via the Frenchman's Track over the Pascoe which was a good run.

As you say ... best wait until a little closer to set the dates (if it goes ahead).

Can't think of a better way of travelling around that neck of the woods than getting paid for it ;o)
FollowupID: 826691

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 15:19

Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 15:19
Hope there is some room for fishing gear in amongst the work clobber. Otherwise it would be just work hahahah
FollowupID: 826695

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 18:45

Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 18:45
Maaate ..... there's always room for the odd rod and reel.
FollowupID: 826708

Reply By: Cruisevessel - Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 18:30

Friday, Oct 24, 2014 at 18:30
I live up here Rosco. It is different every year. We went up in April and was a lot of road damage and still very wet but very doable. Just be careful and allow for more weather to stop you in your tracks. There already talking about a late wet season this year. Enjoy the adventure
AnswerID: 540817

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Oct 25, 2014 at 08:01

Saturday, Oct 25, 2014 at 08:01
Been up lots of times in early May, only thing that used to hold us up was the Wenlock, but now that is bridged, its all good. If your going up for work, you would no doubt stay on the bypasses and shouldn't be a problem. As stated above, if it is a late wet you wil stilll be having a fair bit of fun.
Cheers.
Tony.
AnswerID: 540841

Reply By: Lil and Stookie - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 02:46

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 02:46
We live on the BDR and were the first ones to come through the middle of March this year (i.e. there was no road or other wheel tracks to use as a guide for surface condition). It was a wetter wet than last year, but the way the rain fell meant we could drive in and out earlier than the year before. Allow plenty of time and make sure you're well prepared to be stuck. The road is likely to be in pretty poor condition and creeks and rivers may be challenging although I'm guessing the PDR is better maintained with causeways, etc. (still haven't been up to The Tip :/ ). Be prepared to bring an extra ton or so of mud too!!

Lil :)
AnswerID: 541413

Sponsored Links