? Marine batteries for my 100S Landcruiser T/D

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 13:02
ThreadID: 10994 Views:3936 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We run an 60 litre Engel fridge off the two standard batteries in the Landcruiser and I know that they are not really designed to have loads like that but don't really want to go to the expense of a dual battery setup (with a third battery) when we will probably get a camper in a year or so.
I have have heard that Marine batteries are sort of in between Deep Cycle batteries and normal cranking batteries and wonder if this would be an option to use when replacing the two standard batteries in a 100series T/D Landcruiser.
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 13:43

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 13:43
Hello Andrew & Jen, marine batteries are suppose to be better like deep cycle, but with my experience Iam a charter boat skipper 25 years around boats, I have found that if you get two or three years out of a battery your doing well that includes the two above, so I have just used truck batteries a lot cheaper and last the same. Iam now using (three years old now) in my yacht and the MU Super Charge Gold calcium/calcium batteries 930ca's for house and 720ca's starting. I take one of the 930's out of the boat when we go camping and it runs the 80litre Waeco, lights etc for probably 3 days, charged from the main battery. They are approx 120 amps for the 930 and about 85 for the 720, 720 cost about $10
Hope this is of some help, Regards Bruce.
PS the 720 measures h 190mm w 175mm l 310mm. MU-ving on
AnswerID: 49120

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 13:45

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 13:45
Left off a 0 in the price $100,
Cheers BruceMU-ving on
FollowupID: 310979

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 13:49

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 13:49
Thanks for the advice Bruce - was looking at them in Supercheap auto today. Was going to get you to get me a few at $10!!
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 310980

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (on the move) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:50

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:50
Andrew / Bruce,

I think you will struggle to get the 930 into a standard battery box, 720 will be fine in the 100S, just check with a tape to make sure. It would be a ball tearer if you could load up to 930 though!! Bruce, what are the dimensions of the 930?

A side issue is that deep cells are pain in teh poverbial to charge, you must trickle charge them. They will not accept a fast charge.

Just went through this saga recently and have the engel on test again at freeze. I got 28 hours out of (35 amps) on freeze last time and then put it on a trickle charge till it was fully charged. This is the second cycle so the plates should have a little mor econdition in them, theoretically I should be able to get 56 hours (pretty rough calc though) at 70 amps. In reality I will be happy with 48 hours and that shouldnt screw the cells.

Cheers,

Peter
FollowupID: 311027

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 20:36

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 20:36
Peter the 930 is H 210 L 320, I have mine in one of those battery boxes in the back of the MU as I dont have room in the engine bay. I ran a test with the Waeco , 8amp battery charger for 8 days (everything was frozen in the finish) The batery read 12.5 volts at start and I had the charger on trickle charge 2amps, I was using the fridge all the time, at the end of the 8 days the battery was showing 13.9 volts, so over all the fridge used less than two amps. It was pretty hot as well 35c. But the big thing is to keep the battery charged, my opion motor driven 12 volt alt with a reg you can alter. Of the air for a few days have to drive down to the Sunshine Coast and they have a storm warning out could be pretty interesting.
Have a great trip Peter talk to you down the track.
Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 49185

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:37

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:37
Andrew,

You do not need the two batteries to start the vehicle. The two batteries are only there for Cruisers that are sold in realy cold places where it snows a lot.

A low volume import 60 Series from Japan had dual batteries same as the 80 series.

It is possible to put an isolater between the two batteries and have one for starting and the other for accessories.

Wayne
AnswerID: 49199

Reply By: Mick - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:31

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:31
Andrew & Jen, be careful when you talk about marine batteries, as the only difference with a lot is that they come with screw on terminals.
The AGM batteries are the type your thinking about, Optima has a deep cycle characteristic, but will supply 900cca to start your truck off, and they will recharge very fast like a cranking battery.
Cheaper deep cycles are a pain in the a@#*e to recharge, as they only take a trickle charge.
It all depends on what your doing, if your forever on the road, then deep cycles arent too bad, but if you want to stay in the one spot and relax, then stick with a cranking battery that you can recharge faster with your alternator, or an outback battery charger!!, sorry just advertising, as i build them.
AnswerID: 49230

Sponsored Links