Cub Camper Trailer in Strong Winds Help!!!!!

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 20:25
ThreadID: 109946 Views:9032 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We have just cut short our first trip in our new Cub Camper - Spacematic Drover Off Road. We enjoyed 5 lovely days there, but today had a horrible experience. We found many faults with the Cub's Deluxe Annex. The set up is totally inadequate for strong winds. The poles are attached with c clips which keep popping off the poles. There are also not enough eyelets on the bottom of the annex walls to keep the wind out. Strong winds just pull out the pegs. At least 2 more eyelets on the shorter walls and 3 or more on the front - long side are needed. More Velcro straps around the poles are also a must. AS are, more Velcro straps on the roof to go around the poles. The Velcro spreader poles which are attached to the poles also not a good idea as they just break away in a strong wind.

We got very strong winds so we pegged down the annex walls. Tightened the guy ropes. Placed heavy bags on the inside flaps of the walls to stop the wind coming in. To no avail. The wind got stronger the pegs pulled out. The wind got in and the Velcro on the spreaders separated and the whole annex collapsed. To make it worse the whole trailer lifted and rocked.

We removed the annex - everything, walls and awning and the wind still lifted the back of the cub trailer - opposite the bed. My husband had to climb up onto the tool box to try and get the winch strap back onto the roof while I held onto the back bow bar from the outside. We ended up waiting for gaps in the wind gust to pack up the trailer as we thought the whole lot would rip off the frame.

Our Dingo Off Road trailer, soft floor camper trailer took the same winds in Eden and we didn't need to pack up. We now feel that almost $40,000 is wasted. I am no longer confident with this trailer. Shame we gave our son our old camper. We are trying to think of modifications that we can make to this trailer. Anyone else had the same experience? Your suggestions greatly appreciated as to how to modify the poles etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 21:26

Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 21:26
We have hired Cub campers in the past and agree the pole attachment system is a bit suss, we bought a Austrack Adventurer tent and put it on a custom built trailer. Found with the Adventurer tent that the annex poles had "prongs" on them on one end that slotted into the tent supports that had holes drilled into them they had a slight bend to them that stopped them popping out. We sat through a pretty wild storm to the east of Esperance with it all set up we could feel the winds lifting the whole setup up and down on the springs of the trailer. Came through it without having to reset anything was very impressed with the rigidity of the set up. I would suggest having a look at one and copying the idea if possible, we have sold our camper so can't get photos for you. One side did have the same cup idea you speak off but the other fitted into the hole in the tent pole and when adjusted out was extremely solid, it then had cross braces across it which just had the plastic cup.
Only other possibility is a clamp style of attachment instead of the cup, and replace them on your annex poles, pay to have a look around at some camping stores. Would definitely put in cross bracing if it has got it already.
AnswerID: 540926

Follow Up By: zedd3699 - Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 21:36

Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 21:36
Can you tell me, is the clamp the type that actually goes into the end of the pole, but has a screw part that you tighten? Our poles needs a 22mm size c clip so I surmise same size clamp. Is it possible that you could google the clamp and send an attachment to me? It would be greatly appreciated.
Janine
FollowupID: 826869

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:09

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:09
If you google search tent pole clamps there are several different types that come up.
http://www.polesapart.com.au/specialty_tent_poles.html
may be worth while talking to these guys, aussie made as well. In a quick search came across a couple that may help like the tarp buddy that locks on top to the pole through the prong to stop the tarp / annex from lifting off, like others have said the springs are essential on the guy ropes. Another type that i saw was threaded prongs with a wing nut, and plastic / nylon ends that slip into the poles with eyelets in the end. You will need to sit down with the camper all setup to see what will work or not.
I couldn't find one that looked like a direct push in replacement.
FollowupID: 826898

Reply By: DmaxQld - Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 21:44

Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 21:44
Sorry to hear of your woes. You have posted this on more than one forum today but have you attempted to contact the dealer who sold you the camper or the manufacturer to ask their advice. Surely you are not the first person to set up a Cub Camper in strong winds. Maybe you set it up wrong. Maybe there is a simple fix that you don't know about.

Good luck
AnswerID: 540927

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 06:20

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 06:20
Wind turns sheets of canvas into sails. I can't comment on Cub's design but offer a few tips, noting that still we've had to pack ours up once at 3am when the wind was pounding the walls. Sometimes an awning is going to blow no matter what you do.

1. Note the prevailing winds and present the narrower side to them or the sloping side.
2. Experiment with opening windows to allow the wind to blow through.
3. Add more ropes to spread the load.
4. Use big pegs (various sizes are available in camping shops) esp in coastal areas and double peg each rope in a upside-down V, or go for some of the special pegs like Peggy Pegs.
5. Use springs on the ropes if they're not fitted already; pitch with some compression length left.
6. If you have a large vehicle use it as a wind break.
7. In coastal areas you may get a choice between view and shelter. You pays your money ...
8. You can DIY fit more eyelets.
AnswerID: 540943

Reply By: Leonore F - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 08:03

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 08:03
Wow, that sounds like you where in a hurricane and nothing would have survived..

Thank goodness you weren't in a tent.

We always carry spare pegs for such an event Longer and stronger and tie each corner of the annex down with two ropes..If a strong enough wind gets under any annex its going to pull it out no matter what brand you have.

Opening the canvas facing the wind always saves us whether in our cub or when we use our tent which connects to the back of the car.

We investigated campers for a year before settling on a Cub and it has never let us down. Once you get the hang of it I think you'll find its the best camper on the market as far as setup goes.I can have a cuppa on in 2 minutes after finding a site. Those tents in trailers can't boast that. 10 minutes into setup and my husband is having a beer

About 12 months ago we camped at Inskip Point and a mini cyclone went through. A motorhome was blown over and trees were uprooted. Everything around us was blown into oblivion including our outside tent shower.We quickly dropped the annex and went to help others and the Cub didn't look like moving.

I think you should look back at your first five days of happy camping and not dwell on something out of anyones, or any camper trailers control.

We've had our Cub 7 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything as we believe there is nothing better that it on the market.

Sometimes its hard to make a change to something unfamlier Keep practising, you'll get the hang of it.
AnswerID: 540950

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:18

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:18
I reckon wind is all part of camping. We've suffered from the same type of thing with a wind up camper nearly blowing right over, our hard floor Pioneer nearly leaving the ground the wind at the Breakaways was so strong.
I spent that night putting out extra ropes attached to the loops on the canvas and tying them to small trees.
Getting soaked and nearly blown off the campground at Quobba....now that was a fun night. Not.
More recently sitting peacefully on top of the cliffs enjoying the view along the Bight until the wind came up.....first off the awning was put away, then the pop top was collapsed and still the van rocked and rolled.
Hard to sleep in those conditions but there's plenty of time to catch up on it later.
Try to make sure you have enough ropes and BIG pegs you can really hammer in.
Above all don't let it put you off going out somewhere different.
Happy camping.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 826886

Reply By: zedd3699 - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:36

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:36
Thanks to all those who have given me ideas.
I will be contacting Cub Campers. I think other people also have similar problems, but just tend to fix the problems themselves. If more people actually complained, then Cub would realise that their annex system needs modifications and does not come up to the standard of the trailer. We spent a lot of time researching camper trailers before we bought it.

Some people have given me ideas which I will be trialling. The next time we encounter strong winds, we will be taking the awning and annex off. This is inconvenient, as that means table, chairs and kitchen etc all have to be packed up too. However, I still worry about the trailer lifting off the ground. Someone actually said they have attached chains and anchored these to the ground with large pegs.

I have since checked the wind speed and 10 kilometres away the wind gusts were reaching 78kph and that was more inland than where we were camping.

The trouble is that we also had to back it up in that wind and we were so worried that the gust would just rip it to bits as we winched it closed. especially when it was vertical just prior to the downward closure. I think we were extremely lucky and I really don't want to go through that again. Obviously the winch is fantastic!!!
AnswerID: 540962

Reply By: rooster350 - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:56

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:56
Strong long pegs and good guy ropes with SPRINGS attached are essential for dealing with strong winds, we have been camping for years in tents and camper trailers and caravans with awnings and annexes and managed to come out unscathed in many hairy strong wind situations. The springs allow movement in the setup and equipment is less likely to be torn apart by the wind forces.
AnswerID: 540965

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:53

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:53
Yes I'll second the use of springs. They really take the rigidity out of the tie down and make it easier for the awning etc to move that little bit in a more gentle way.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 826897

Reply By: zedd3699 - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 13:32

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 13:32
We have the guy ropes with the springs. Didn't seem to help. We also used large heavy pegs for those, but the pegs that go through the eyelets on the awning walls are only the regular ones.
AnswerID: 540976

Reply By: mchapo - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 13:49

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 13:49
My Cub works fine.
AnswerID: 540979

Reply By: Member - Peter G (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 17:18

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 17:18
Go to myswag.org web site and check out "The Cub Club" 17 pages of good info.for you to read.
AnswerID: 540986

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:24

Thursday, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:24
Once the wind blew up strong in a caravan park while we were out walking. The CT was well anchored including with a handbrake. It still started to move. The manager luckily saw it and drove in a star post as the only anchor that would do.
AnswerID: 541077

Sponsored Links