National parks WA - bookings

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 21:53
ThreadID: 109949 Views:2005 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All, I am planning our WA trip for next year (first timers to WA). I am wondering if we have to book into National Parks and how others do that when we really have no idea of dates that we will be arriving and leaving. We will not have a real schedule to stick to. Is there a permit that will cover all the parks instead of getting individual permits.
Thanks everyone in advance and safe travels to all
Greg & DI
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 23:30

Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 23:30
Hi Greg and Di

Yes, you can get various options of passes for park entry, but these do not cover camping fees. You can get annual all parks pass or holiday all parks pass covering four weeks. These do not cover Monkey Mia near Denham, the Tree Top Walk near Walpole, boat access at Geikie Gorge in the Kimberley and the Dryandra Woodland where separate fees apply. If you would like more details, you can email me (Motherhen) at Westnet.com.au

Most parks do not require (or allow) booking for camping. From the DPaW (Department of Parks and Wildlife) page, go to the Camp Finder menu which has a pull down list of regions. Each campground in the lists shows whether it requires booking or not. There is also a peak period Campground Status service for popular parks for checking on whether camps are full or near full.

Enjoy the wonderful and vast West.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 540935

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 08:30

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 08:30
Cape Range National park camping can be confusing. Last year we had difficulties booking on line and waited until we got to Exmouth and went to the Information Centre who told us not to go to the National Parks office. We did go to the office and found them extremely helpful! Others we spoke to had no problems booking on line and were able to book ahead in peak season. So as you get closer to Exmouth and know your dates and want to stay in the national park try the on line booking system. Or book into one of the caravan parks in Exmouth and use that as your base. But make sure you go there and spend some time exploring not only the park but the brilliant Ningaloo Reef. And put swimming with the Whale Sharks on your bucket list.... Hope you are going to allow plenty of time to do WA. There is so much to see, what a fantastic state! Kevin
AnswerID: 540953

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:56

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:56
Hi folks,

We hope that you have a great trip to W.A.

As indicated by Motherhen, there are an increasing number of camp grounds (not all are in N.P.s) that now require pre-booking.
Contact D.P.A.W.
http://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/ (Copy & Paste)
(HMMMMMM) insert link thingy is not working for me ;-))
to find out which areas require this.
You do not indicate when you will be traveling and this makes the call a little more difficult.

An "All Parks Pass" is a must and can be purchased on line, also through the above link.

There are a number of 4WD Trip books, sold through ExplorOz that will give base information an a wide variety of areas to visit. Included are (fairly) accurate trip notes, GPS points and historical information. All of this information is a starting point for your trip research.

We look forward to seeing you in W.A.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 540981

Reply By: Greg & Dianne - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:52

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:52
thanks for the replies. We have 4 months to travel. Home is Queensland so the plan at the moment is to travel across to Halls Creek then to Kununara via the Bungle Bungles. Then the GRR with side treks to Mitchell Plataeu & Kalumburu. W then want to follow the coast down to Geraldton doing a few side treks. From Geraldton head home acrossthe Great Central. It's a basic plan with nothing set in concrete- we will go as far as we can and see as much as we can. Thanks all Greg & Di
AnswerID: 541002

Sponsored Links