Water crossing with bonnet scoop

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 14:03
ThreadID: 110026 Views:6548 Replies:17 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Should the bonnet scoop be covered to stop water entering the intercooler fins on deep water crossings? Will this cause overheating?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 15:24

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 15:24
Lowan,

That's a serious bit of wading with water coming up the bonnet, and into the scoop, though doesn't take much for to do this if entering water a bit quickly, or in a deep hole.

Not likely to overheat as the water will be colder than ambient temperature anyway, I've crossed a creek with water running over the Landcruiser's bonnet, and nothing happened to the engine, but am sure it can't be good for the vehicle in general.

If the water is that deep, I'd be more concerned about any current relocating the vehicle to a less desirable site in the creek.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541255

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 15:25

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 15:25
Interesting posting i would say yes hadn't really given it much thought but considering the vehicle engine temp and the electronics then yes stopping water entering a engine cavity is always good, usually the forward movement of the vehicle helps, the fitment of a water bra is always good policy as well. I know that i will be covering / blocking the bonnet scoop on my vehicle should i go through water that deep. All the intercooler is cooling is the intake air post turbo so for the time it takes to do the water crossing i doubt you will notice any difference and if you do it will only be on EGT temps.
AnswerID: 541256

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 15:37

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 15:37
Lowan,
The fact that you had to ask that question indicates that you are very inexperienced with deep water crossings.

If the water is that deep, you will run a grave risk of totally wrecking the motor unless your vehicle has been properly prepared for deep water crossings.

It takes considerably more than just taping up the bonnet scoop. At a minimum you would have a correctly installed snorkel, well sealed and totally waterproof except for the raised air intake, lots of experience with the vehicle and in reality an absolute need to cross the river.The potential for water /mud to enter the diffs and gearbox through the vents is high(

a full oilchange may be necessary, and mud/pebbles will soon stuff the brakes unless everything is thoroughly flushed and cleaned. not to mention the possibility of water in the cab with potential damage to all the electronic equipment under the front seats.

Unless it is absolutely urgent/essential that one crosses water that depth you should be looking for an alternate route, or wait till the water level drops considerably.

Disco.
AnswerID: 541257

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 21:17

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 21:17
Disco,
You are wise to gather from the original question that others are so very inexperienced.
Why not just stick to the fair question that was asked rather than being condescending
Yes we get water crossings are difficult for some, and the sky can fall down too
CJ
FollowupID: 827331

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 10:05

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 10:05
I'm with you disco driver and I didn't find your reply condescending.

Some questions asked on this forum defiantly show lack of experience and in most cases fought with danger.

Others on this forum seem to think everyone is as experienced as them selves and know everything.

I have this saying......"everyone's an expert until something goes wrong".

If we stuck to the original question as CSeaJay suggested it would be a simple "YES" or "NO" answer....... making the post pretty boring to read by all involved.

Water crossings = big expense.

I try to avoid them unless really necessary and there is no other way round.

Inexperienced people usually loose sight of the basics that in many cases form the most important parts.
FollowupID: 827362

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 17:18

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 17:18
It wont hurt but if the water is that deep, that's the least of your problems!! regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 541260

Reply By: Willy W - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 17:46

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 17:46
I think Lowan has a very good question re the scoop. Often if you cross deep water it will be pushed up over the bonnet even if the water level is not as deep as the bonnet. Just put your water bra on of better a tarp that will cover the intercooler scoop as well. Good point for all the guys having snorkels and raised breathers and lifts but then that water pours in at the bonnet scoop in some Hiluxes or others.
AnswerID: 541261

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 18:26

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 18:26
I had the Nissan 3 litre diesel patrol with the scoop. Work vehicle that was used in the Top End for many years. Crossed many creeks, holes etc where water came completely over the bonnet. Remember one section that was an 80 meter section with water up to bottom of windscreen. Had no affect on the motor at all. Lucky?. I don,t know. Did it often and as I said ..no ill affects.. Standard patrol ute with box on tray , snorkel and winch.
AnswerID: 541263

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 19:02

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 19:02
I put the bonnet scoop on my old colorado under a few times. The water won't hurt it. Subarus etc with top mount inter coolers run a water spray to cool them off for more performance.
Of more importance is to maintain some speed when crossing that deep, always point downstream in sand, and take the wife's handbag off the floor first. Forgetting any of those will end with much more dire outcomes than water going through the inter cooler.
AnswerID: 541264

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 19:12

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 19:12
As far as water hitting the intercooler it does not matter as many vehicles have the intercooler either in front of the radiator or just below it and they get wet in shallow water.

But as others have said going into water that is deeper than the bonnet then you could be in lots of grief. But a splash up the bonnet and into the cooler no problems.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541266

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 19:13

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 19:13
No problem at all, it becomes a water to air intercooler for a while................. tongue in cheek.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541267

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 21:21

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 21:21
Lowan
I too believe that some water onto the intercooler will no be of concern.
As to overheating if the scoop is blocked or taped, again no problem with the intercooler,
CJ
AnswerID: 541271

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 22:12

Monday, Nov 03, 2014 at 22:12
It will not be a problem temperature wise, if the intercooler stops cooling the net result will a reduction in the engines maximum output power, most likely not an issue during your crossing.

If water is actually flowing through the intercooler then it will provide much better cooling than the air normally would, my concern would be where does the air normally flow. If the air flow is down through the inter cooler and then exits over the top of the motor i would be more worried about the water drowning electrics on the top of the motor.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541274

Reply By: Lowan - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 08:03

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 08:03
Thanks everyone. Yes, in deep water crossings I've floated downstream and also sucked water into the engine. So a good snorkel is a must, but my new vehicle has a bonnet scoop and turbo and now thanks to your replies I can cover the scoop as well as the radiator for deep water and not worry. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 541278

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 09:31

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 09:31
If it's a V8 Cruiser then I'd be more concerned with the water dumping rubbish into the engines valley & blocking the drain hole.

I know for my next trip up to Cape York I'll be fitting a bra to my LC DC, on previous trips up there I had water 1/2 way up the wind screen when I encountered a few deep holes in a couple of creek crossings in my Disco II.

AnswerID: 541280

Follow Up By: Tessysdad - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 16:28

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 16:28
You are right to be concerned re your V8 cruiser if it is the one in the pic. The starter motor sits in the valley of the V8 and fail regularly on hire vehicles due to the lack of concern hirers give to the well being of the vehicle. This from an auto electrician in Broome and mechanic down here in Perth, each of whom share this experience as they are called upon to do the fix. The problem is usually accentuated when crossing rivers as there is also a certain amount of mud in the mix.
Cheers,
Happy travels.
FollowupID: 827390

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 10:11

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 10:11
I would cover the vent. Damage to the fins of the intercooler if solid rubbish enters could occur.
I had serious fin damage that bent many fins thus preventing air to pass through --- from hail
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541284

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:23

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:23
The quick answer is no, however if you are pushing water that hard that it comes over the bonnet you are probably driving too fast.

The biggest problem I watch on a daily basis is people pushing a big bow wave and going too fast, unless the ford / crossing is soft there is no need to push a bow wave or push your way through, I have done several thousand water crossings between .6 to 1.2 metres in the last 20 years, in fact I had a fleet of up to 5 vehicles doing 240 crossing a year each with no problems.

The trick is to drive across at just over idle trying not to push a bow wave, this will save your radiator by not flexing your fan into it and you won’t need a tarp or a bra, it will also protect the banks from erosion.

There is a big concern in regards to the 200 series or the V8 cruiser in general and water crossings re the alternator, well I can put that to bed, I have 2 and they have done combined 480 water crossings at .6 or higher in the past 2 years without incident, the only thing I had to do was lift the front diff breather.

Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 541288

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:54

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:54
Steve,

I think the main issue with alternators in general is not so much the water, but the silt that the water carries with it.

Clean water should not be a problem, but driving through dirty/silty water clogs up the alternator, a quick flush through with clean water usually fixes the problem.

FollowupID: 827374

Follow Up By: mike39 - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 15:40

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 15:40
I have a mate, fifo mine mechanic WA.
They have plenty of problems with the v8 L/C, salty/corrosive water getting into the starter motor electrics where it is located at the back of the valley.
More than a days work, remove replace.
mike
FollowupID: 827384

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 06:40

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 06:40
I usually go second gear low range with a few revs - about walking pace. Walking pace will create a small wave but nothing like some you see. Yes I've put two fans into radiators on toyotas myself so I am gunshy too. Would you go even slower again?
FollowupID: 827406

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 16:14

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 16:14
Jeff I see your point on the silt/dirty water, I must admit 98% of my crossing have been in relatively clean water.

Mike I understand your point, this will probably not affect me as I turn my vehicles over regularly and don't subject them to this treatment.

gbc most crossings I do are on hard surfaces, however if I have to do a soft crossing your approach is a preferred option.

FollowupID: 827434

Reply By: marty c - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 16:17

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 16:17
I am a mechanic with 43 years experience and the water entering through the scoop wont worry it will cool it if anything and being a diesel it wont worry it so don't worry
AnswerID: 541295

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 20:11

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 20:11
Do you all remember this guy from Queensland who crossed a swollen river with a V8 ute.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 541302

Sponsored Links