G-Layer YB3 Yellowbrick

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 18:13
ThreadID: 110086 Views:2507 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are doing a trip to the Kimberley and for most part we will be travelling on our own. Just wondering if anyone has one of these devices and what have you pros and cons have you found?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 18:45

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 18:45
Is it similar to the Spot devices? I have a Spot 2 which works extremely well.
AnswerID: 541436

Reply By: Sat Phone Sales - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 06:39

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 06:39
Bit hard to relate the pros and cons without a comparison.

The Spot devices are simplex only so you never know if your message got through. Perhaps better to compare with inReach which are duplex (send AND receive). We don't have the yellowbricks but do have the inReaches from $249 for members. Any comparison we would make would be from the specs only so google is your friend.

The inReach devices have a slightly better environmental rating. Functionality is about the same.

The other thing to consider is the plans for service. The new inReach plans are great, and have no connection fee until 31.12.14. I have it on authority that inReach will be introducing an account suspension plan in the new year.

Kev
AnswerID: 541444

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 07:37

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 07:37
The Brick is 2-way. Some user reports here: http://www.g-layer.com.au/yellowbrick/yellowbrick-review/

Maybe also check out the inReach Explorer; it includes a GPS screen & functions.

The plans for most of these devices in Australia have been extortionate cp. with o/s. I'm looking forward to the new offerings mentioned on this site.

The Fed govt did no favours to casual sat comm users by subsidising satphones. That just inflated the price of this mode of communication.
AnswerID: 541445

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 08:15

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 08:15
It may be cheaper to use a sat phone or if budget conscious a Spot Messenger.

From their website.......
"Credits are used each time you transmit. 1 credit is used per tracking position or per 50 characters of message sent or received. 1 credit is also used if you check your mailbox and there are no messages waiting (A mailbox check)."

So if you send out 5 tracking positions a day it will cost you 90 cents per day.

And with text messaging; 50 characters is not many to say something with.

Plus you are charged for incoming messages as well.

If you want safety and security as you will be travelling alone for most of your trip a sat phone is the way to go...... cheap and efficient.

For use we have SPOT, Satellite Phone, HF Radio and PLB, reason for carrying 4 long range comms devices is not one is good at everything...... SPOT is on all the time for friends to follow us, Satellite phone is our main comms for day to day activities, HF radio breaks the boredom and PLB if it is an emergency and we can't use the Satellite phone.

AnswerID: 541487

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 08:30

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 08:30
BTW..... it's going to cost you $759.00 to buy the "standard" Yellow Brick that can do custom text messaging and has blue tooth.

The "Basic" Yellow Brick for $619.00 has no bluetooth and only has preset messages.

Oh and don't forget the line rental and associated messaging fees.
FollowupID: 827599

Follow Up By: Sat Phone Sales - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 06:39

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 06:39
Quite correct on the satphone being cheaper to buy/run. $15 plans with no lock in contract, Ozzie mobile number (cheap and easy to call) and handsets from $340. That said the inReach Communicator 1.5 at $249 with free postage for members is a pretty awesome deal.

Am a bit biased I guess as we don't sell the yellowbrick, but the hardware seems quite expensive.

See the yellowbrick/inReach devices filling a niche where satphones won't do - super light, stand alone devices with very long battery life. Mountaineering, kayaking - that type of thing.
FollowupID: 827659

Reply By: Member - Sanantone - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 09:47

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 09:47
I have an InReach SE model, just activating it now, I purchased through EBay from USA, they advised it was OK to work in Aus.
I am just in the process of activating it with the Australian service provider, Pivotel, who have advised that they will charge me a $170 extra to have it comply with Australian Communication laws.
Any savings made have now gone, beware.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541491

Sponsored Links