NSW Rego in Perth

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 20:13
ThreadID: 110093 Views:2265 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I have to renew the Rego of my caravan before the end of month, and have to get the road safety inspection done (in Perth), can some body recommend a mechanic shop that is accredited to do pink slips for NSW rego.

Anny suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Robert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob J8 - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 20:29

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 20:29
Hello Robert,
As we don't have to have annual inspections in Western Australia, I would suggest you contact the dept of transport W A and ask them. I would have already contacted the NSW dept of transport for advice.
Hope you sort something out
Rob J
AnswerID: 541469

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 21:18

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 21:18
Rob, we do have some annual inspections in W.A. - but only for certain classes of vehicles - buses, taxis, small charter vehicles, and driving instruction vehicles.

There are also some specialised vehicles that require annual inspection.

These would be items such as oversize road-going cranes and a few other out-of-the-ordinary vehicles that are deemed to require regular inspection because they pose a major threat to safety if allowed to fall behind in safety compliance.

If you own one of these vehicles, you get an annual letter from DOT W.A. with every rego renewal, telling you to present the vehicle for inspection before rego will be renewed.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 827571

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 22:25

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 22:25
I would think Rob would be aware that there are many other classes of vehicles that require annual inspections, but he was addressing the question that was asked by the OP.

FollowupID: 827578

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 23:29

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 23:29
Yes Ron N I am aware we have some inspections for specialised vehicles in W A. I owned taxi's in Perth for 22years but private vehicles don't have to be inspected yearly.
Now I am over 65 I have to have an annual inspection [medical] at the Doctor's to retain my taxi and coach licence.
I am with the others, don't nationalise anything, we won't have anything to argue about then. Happy Travels from Airlie Beach.
FollowupID: 827687

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 21:03

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 21:03
Robert - Repco or the R.A.C of W.A. should be able to do an inspection that meets the NSW "E-Safety" check.
You probably need to check with the RTA of NSW to find out exactly who they will accept E-Safety check reports from, in W.A.

There are W.A. Dept of Transport inspection stations throughout the Perth metro area, but I'm pretty sure they don't do inspections for interstate-registered vehicles.

There are a list of "authorised inspection stations" for W.A.-registered-vehicle inspections, scattered throughout the major regional towns of W.A.
It's likely these authorised inspection stations can carry out NSW E-Safety checks, but it would pay to ask.

The big thing is where you are "ordinarily resident". If you are visiting W.A. and use your NSW address as the place where you are "ordinarily resident", then you can re-register your 'van in NSW.
If you have a W.A. address, and are regarded as being "ordinarily resident" in W.A., then you have to change your MDL and all your vehicle registrations over to W.A. registration within 90 days.

If your vehicle becomes unregistered for more than 15 days, then you will need a "Temporary Movement Permit" to move the vehicle on a public road.
This is because all 3rd Party Insurance coverage ceases 15 days after your registration lapses.

Cheers, Ron.

Regional Vehicle examinations - Dept of Transport, W.A.
AnswerID: 541474

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 21:59

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 21:59
Yes you can get an inspection done at any authorised inspection station in any state of Aus plus a few additional places.

Quote from (RMS) RTA

"Customers who are travelling in another state, except the ACT, can obtain an inspection report from:

the registering authority in the state or territory (eg Vicroads)
an agent that the interstate authority has approved
a recognised motor industry body that is a member of the Australian Automobile Association (ie RACV, RACWA, RACQ, RAA South Australia).

In all these cases the inspecting agent must be at least 50km from the NSW border."

FollowupID: 827576

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 22:12

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 22:12
You may also find that you have to back in NSW by a curtain time limit.
FollowupID: 827577

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 22:25

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 22:25
I've been through this.

It's as Notso posted, BUT because the authorised interstate inspector will not be on the NSW electronic system you will be given a certificate or report which will then have to be mailed to RMS in NSW.

If you have your rego papers with you, take a copy for yourself and mail the report and your rego and give them a return mail address. Or if your papers are at home, send the report to someone who can access your papers and have them do the renewal for you.

This is what I was told. You should probably talk to RMS to confirm.


Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827579

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 07:59

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 07:59
Hope we never have national road and rego laws.!!!

I,ll miss these topics........like hell..lol

Its a ridiculous situation that we are in. One national rule should suit all. Can you just imagine the committee elected to look at it? ............. 6 years later and probably no closer to a final draft.......

Whats this thing they call common sense?
AnswerID: 541486

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:58

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:58
HELL NO be carefull what you wish for
as a west australian I have NO desire for the expensive multi tiered over buerucratic mega expensive regime of NSW
registration, seperate 3rd party , anual inspections
national system ----- NO THANKS!
FollowupID: 827607

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 15:08

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 15:08
Wow you could be on to something there Bigfish. Wouldn't it be just great. Try buying a vehicle from over east and bring it back to Perth. What a joke the rules here are.

Also annual inspections would get a few bombs off the road.

FollowupID: 827624

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 15:40

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 15:40
Annual inspections do absolutely nothing for road safety.

RACWA and others have researched the benefits of annual inspections and come up with a negative benefit.

In other words, the cost of annual inspections does bugga all in lowering accident, injury and death rates.

The only benefit is that the Govt makes lots of money and the inspecting facility also makes a little bit for doing the inspection.

There has also been a fair bit of recorded shonky business by the inspecting business's ("your vehicle needs a, b, c, and d done before it is roadworthy, we can do it straight away") when in fact the vehicle is completely roadworthy as is.

If it increases the cost to motorists but does not have any benefit other than filling the Govt coffers, why should WA take it up?

FollowupID: 827627

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:15

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:15
New Zealand has a Warrant of fitness system that works very well. Was all nationalised on a database about 1995.

Prior to that you could go to an "approved" examiner for a check and if he was picky and you got turned down you could go to another one and get passed. was shonky in those days.

Now its all entered in the system when you go in and if you fail everyone knows, so you have to get it fixed.

Has taken all the rubbish off the road like Falcons with stuffed ball joints and Minis and1100's with stuffed CVJ's. Commodores with rusted out door frames etc.

Unlike QLD where there are cars running around I wouldnt drive in a paddock because they never go near a mechanic for years. To say it doesnt work is rubbish as you dont have to get the work done then. You normally have a few days to get it done and re-present the vehicle.
Always a few who try to con you.
It does pay to check your vehicle before taking it for a test to stop that sort of thing.
FollowupID: 827696

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:46

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:46
Well, we do have totally-nationalised road rules and signage, and a very large % of State traffic laws are quite similar.
Interstate-hauling trucks have a federal registration system (FIRS), and have had one since 1987.

However, MDL's are still subject to your "normal place of residence" and State jurisdictions.
But if you lose points, or your licence in one State - you lose points and your licence in every State - so there's already a large degree of information sharing and regulation there.

If your rego lapses in one State, police in States have access to all other State rego records, so you will be pulled up and charged for having no rego in any State.

Having said that - in the NT and outback W.A., it appears rego is optional, particularly if you're a member of one of the indigenous tribes.
I was reading where the NT authorities have determined that 38% of the vehicles in the Alice Springs region are unregistered!
I drove around Warburton a couple of weeks ago and I reckon the number of unregistered cars was more like 50%! They didn't even bother with number plates half the time!

The principle of annual inspections is good in theory - but in practice it falls down badly.
I've bought registered vehicles with pink slips in Eastern States, that wouldn't pass muster in any State inspection.

W.A. has never had annual inspections, and the police claim the amount of unroadworthy vehicles involved in crashes is below 1%.
They claim that spot inspections on a random basis on the roads are a far better method of checking on roadworthiness.

If the annual inspection regime was crucial - then theoretically, W.A. would have a road toll that was far higher than any of the Eastern States.
As it stands, there's little difference between the road toll in W.A. and the other States over an extended period.
The road toll has spikes and lows over short periods, but over a average of, say 5 years, there's no perceptible difference between the States road tolls, measured as deaths per 100,000 people.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 827699

Reply By: allein m - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:50

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:50
we need one system for the entire country like the UK so many move around for work defense worker construction workers and of course caravans travelers

we live in a computer age it would be simple and easy one price for rego license inspections and one set of road rules
AnswerID: 541493

Reply By: Member - escapesilv - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 21:43

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 21:43
Hi all again.

We have contacted the MTA here in WA and made an appointment to have the inspection done.

Today we had the inspection and other than a difference in cost ( $ 88.00 in WA against $ 25 in NSW) all was similar and all went OK.

Now we just have to fax report in and pay.

Thanks to all


AnswerID: 541552

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:46

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:46
I paid $38 for my cars Pink slip last week in Broken Hill and with my last daily drive

pink slip and green slip were allmost as dear as what the car was lol

I traded it in for a automatic and I got $500 just a fraction less than what I paid to get it regitered
AnswerID: 541563

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:16

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:16
I don't know how anyone could do a proper vehicle inspection for $25.
It takes a good hour to do all the paperwork and inspect a vehicle properly, particularly the underside.
Most mechanics want $100 an hr at least, many charge more. At $25, that's 15 mins for a "proper" inspection, and filling out all the paperwork.
I don't reckon too many people could find all the roadworthiness faults in a vehicle and fill in all the forms, in 15 mins.
I've had coppers on road patrol spend more time than that checking out my vehicle just in a roadside stop.
AnswerID: 541591

Follow Up By: Member - escapesilv - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 20:05

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 20:05
Hi Ron.

Just for the record, it did not take the inspector from WA or NSW more than 20 minutes to do the inspection and paper work.

I cant say any one does a full comprehensive inspection other than lights, brakes, tires, wheel bearings and a visual under body.

In NSW in April I paid $ 25.00 to get the pink slip for the car.


FollowupID: 827787

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)