Temporary Storage Solutions

Submitted: Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:22
ThreadID: 110096 Views:3391 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for ideas for easily removable storage solutions that doesn’t involve the permanent installation of a set of drawers in the back of my Patrol. I need it to be strong enough to withstand the rigors of 4WDing while being easily removable as we regularly travel with four dogs at other times, as well as having all the gear of a young baby, so the storage would be only used when going camping and 4WDing without the “crew”.

Any ideas would be great, as well as any pictures or links to products that you suggest.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oldbrowny - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:48

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:48
Try Drifta drawers, I had them in my GU, lightweight, very strong. I used the existing tie down points and turn buckles. I could remove and install in about 10 minutes.
AnswerID: 541492

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 14:08

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 14:08
Not short term but very useful...you can get a fresh water bladder that is made to fit inside the left rear quarter panel of the patrol.It fills the empty cavity therefore taking up non of your valuable storage area, no one will even know its there.
Simply remove the plastic panel in the
cargo area use two bolts to secure it to the original nuts provided by nissan.
Then cut a hole for the inlet , the outlet hose can be accessed through the small removable panel on the lower panel.

It holds approx 20 litres, saves you carryinga seperate water container and canbe used anytime.
AnswerID: 541507

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 17:11

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 17:11

Hi,
This is the setup I use in my Pajero for camping. Can be used in a variety of configurations and gives me access to under floor storage (light coloured floor panel). Home made and assembles in about 20 minutes. In this config can use as a single bed.If interested could send more pics & diagrams.The main framing is 25x25mm tubing.
I use Plastic tubs as drawers.
Would be fairly expensive to have made as was pretty time consuming, You would need to be able to weld.
Mike.
AnswerID: 541517

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 19:46

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 19:46
Nothing outstanding in my contribution - but I picked up a neat storage trick from a mate.
Use the "green", woven material, re-useable shopping bags for the storage of ropes, snatch straps, ratchet straps and other soft items, that are usually a nuisance to store.

SWMBO is always throwing them out once they get a few marks on them, claiming "we don't need to be carrying our food home from the shops in old dirty shopping bags" - and she's always buying new ones.

I found the old shopping bags are great for rope, strap, and ratchet strap storage, even inside a big toolbox.
If you want more strength, place one bag inside another.
They can be made to fit into any spare space that is odd-shaped with a bit of pushing and shoving.
AnswerID: 541548

Reply By: Tony F8 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 17:47

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 17:47
It's quiet simple, use Nally bins and a ratchet strap. Fit a steel saddle front and rear of the Nally bins on the floor. (as they stack neatly and are very strong) run the ratchet strap over them and tighten. We've used this system for years, an they don't move. You can get 3 different height bins to suit your requirements.
Cheers.
TonyF8.
AnswerID: 541590

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 17:57

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 17:57
What are Nally bins? Do you have a link to them and where do you get them?
FollowupID: 827717

Reply By: B1B2 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:24

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:24
Patrol,
I use a 3 high stack of sliding plastic drawers. I have the fridge in a removable cage beside them, and cable tie them together when travelling. Easy to put in and remove.
They are available in lots of shops.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/plastic-storage-drawers

Cheers,
AnswerID: 541593

Reply By: Tony F8 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 19:16

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 19:16
Most camping shops sell them, I just checked with the girl, she works at Gladstone Camping Centre, and they are known as Nally bins, been around for years, best to have a look at some, they are a good, strong box, google nally bin and go from there.
Cheers,.
Tony F8
AnswerID: 541596

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 19:19

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 19:19
Hers the part number IHO60.
Cheers
FollowupID: 827724

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:21

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:21
Bought some containers from Bunnings, for the "kitchen" in our camper.

Work well in this case, but you might need bigger ones in rear of your vehicle.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541614

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:33

Friday, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:33
I use a home made frame constructed out of steel tube and carpeted plywood. Takes 5-10 mins to install/remove. Bit longer if I have to put cargo barrier in too.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/HGMonaro350/rear_storage.jpg

Before anyone jumps up and down and points out that's it a Prado with a single opening door, yes I can get at the fridge, even when the camper is hooked up.

4 Folding chairs go in slots 1, made to size wooden box goes in #2 (tools, spares, BBQ), 3 holds various junk depending on trip (could be camera, tent, food etc), 4 holds water containers and more food/junk.

I use the cargo barrier fittings in the floor to hold it in place. The steel tube is only about 12mm, which makes it harder to weld (stick) but is strong enough and light. I've since replace the piece of MDF the fridge is sitting on for some carpeted plywood similar to the others. There's tie down spots on the frame under the fridge shelf to tie the fridge down to.

I have a (home made) false floor I generally have place in that uses the extra seat fittings to keep in place.
AnswerID: 541659

Sponsored Links