Jackaroo roof rack

Submitted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1101 Views:10354 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone advise me on fitting a strong full length roof rack to the 98 Jackaroo. The guttering system on this model jackaroo is fixed to the upper surface of the roof and not the usual L-shaped guttering found on most 4WD's. In my opinion, the guttering on the Jackaroo doesn't look stong enough to support a solid full length roof rack, especially if carrying any weight and driving over corregations. Does anyone have any experience in this area, or know of a strong roof rack that is available for the Jackaroo?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00
All a bit quiet on this one Gary......I have some Rola Racks on my 99 Jack to carry an aluminium ladder....I too noted that the anchor points seem quite weak....the roof may be strong enough but the anchor points don't look like they could secure much at all....Isuzu might have comment on this.....can't recall seeing a roof rack on a new Jack...I do all of my camping with a trailer (was going to anyway). Best of luck.dp
AnswerID: 3470

Reply By: Geoff- Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Gary I have a 2001 jack and I have rola roof racks on and I carry a roof top tent approx 65 kg on 2 roof racks. We then go up top and sleep up there ,I had the same concerns as you did but I e-mail one of the 4x4 mags that tested a jack with a roof top tent up at cape york and they had no problems at all. I even got up on top of the truck and stood were the brackets go on and I am 75kg so If one small area can take my weight I recken with 4 or 6 bars on and the load spread over that area it should be fine. We have hit some very hard ruts with no damage at all to up top.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 3473

Follow Up By: Gary - Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for your comment. I am considering fitting a roof top tent to the full length aluminium framed roof rack. I have been looking at the Ezi-awn roof top tent which looks pretty good, but mounting it onto the roof so that it opens out to the rear of the vehicle would make it stick out at the sides wider than the roof. Alternatively I could mount it so that it opens out to the side of the vehicle which keeps it to the width of the roof. What type of roof top tent do you have and how did you mount it onto your Jackaroo? Any advice you can give me in this area would be much appreciated. Cheers, Gary
FollowupID: 1409

Reply By: colin - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00
Gary,

I am a member of the Jackaroo 4WD club. Several of the members have installed full length racks, including Rhino racks, TJM aluminium racks, ARB steel racks. The mounting points have not changed since 1992, and you can be assured that after ten years if it didn't work there would be a lot more people giving you the benefit of their experience if tey were crook.

Col
AnswerID: 3501

Reply By: Geoff- Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Gray I have an Ezi-awn roof top tent and I fitted it so it opens out to the back. It's 1.4 m wide I think it's the middle size and it fittes ok on the roof. I found that when you have it open and the ladder down you can't open the back door fully not a big problem. I have changed it to open out to the side of the vehicle. What I have also done is fitted sail track to the underside at the end and got a tarp and rope sewn in it at one end to make an awning just like the caravans. This way when I put the awning up it covers the back of the car and I can leave the doors open when raining. I know this is had to describe but if you would like to email me your address mine is thewayes@iprimus.com.au that way if I have your email address next time I have it up I'll take a photo and email it to you.I have it bolted to 2 bars and leave them on when i remove the tent i unbolt it from the roof rack bracket and the bars stay on.When i go camping i lift up the tent by a small boat winch and lower it on the brackets and it's done.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 3503

Sponsored Links