Cape Keraudren - Any Thoughts or Advice?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:02
ThreadID: 11010 Views:8489 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Late this year a group of us are considering heading to Cape Keraudren for a few weeks. Whilst we lived in Hedland for a while we never got there ourselves. Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brett - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:57

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:57
I think the area is pretty barren, as you know and there is little shade available. Didn't stay there as there were vans everywhere at the time. The water and coastline looked fantastic and I believe you can catch Crayfish by the ledged in 3 ft of water at low tide..

Who cares it would be better there that being in the blasted cities.!!!!!!
AnswerID: 49202

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:27

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:27
Hi Steve,
I never got around to finishing our Journal of our trip through there in August last year. The whole CSR saga got too long in the tooth but looks like I need to finish it as we learned a lot and it was interesting to visit it at a better time of year. Previously we were there in late October, could have been November and it was not worth stopping, no shade blah blah. If you are going a little earlier, say before end August it is fantastic! There are a couple of sections - the big vans and long-term motorhomers congregate on a point that is easily accessible to them, wherease the 4WDs and tent campers head out to the creek which opens to the sea, where we went. The creek is tidal and at low tide is UNREAL MUD CRABBING! The beach front offers good fishing, but unfortunately you really need to time it right on this part of the coast, if the water is too cold (June, July, August) then the salmon are not biting, they come on again around Sept, Oct, Nov and when they do they BITE! Generally, you need to set yourself up with big tarps, there are some pit toilets (one along the creek edge) etc and there is a small daily fee and the ranger comes to collect/check each day. It has always had a great name and the place continues to boom with more and more travellers finding it all the time. If you're not going there til later in the year, it still gives me some time to finish my report and update the site with more facts.
Hope this helps you.
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 49214

Reply By: Mike - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:46

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:46
Hi Steve & Paula,Jan and I stay there for a couple of nights in May, almost a couple of years ago. We are leaving for the Kimberley on Easter Monday this year and Cape Keraudren is definitely on our itinerary. Yes you will have to provide your own shade and water. We prefered our own Porta loo. The ranger calls around quite regularly to empty rubbish bins and is a good source of information. Beside the fishing and crabbing you can also enjoy some (feathered) bird watching. I can't recall the number of different species that have been identified in the area, but it was impressive.

Happy camping,
Jan & Mike.
AnswerID: 49249

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:27

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:27
Last time I was there (late last year and I am a regular visitor) the Ranger was telling me that things are changing (for the better) as too many people are shacking up there long term.
The loos will be replaced with some sort of enviro loo as reef damage is now evident from the long drops and there will be an overflow caravan park sometime in the near future based at Pardoo.
Shade and wind are both real issues but it's a sensational spot that hopefully will be managed well for all of us to enjoy for many more years to come.

Ranger there is a good bloke who really does care.
AnswerID: 49336

Reply By: Hankster - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:31

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:31
If your bringing a little dinghy like I did, make sure you have a tide book with you because you don't want to get stuck out about a kilometre and have to walk the boat in to the shore with no shoes on like I did!!! Great fishing along the coast too. When I lived in Hedland we used to go there a fair bit because it was such a great place for fishing. Not much else there apart from nice beach scenery though.

Hank
AnswerID: 49525

Sponsored Links