camping at fraser island

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 17:44
ThreadID: 110121 Views:3030 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi crew, our first trip to fraser island, I have a dual cab ,with a detachable camper,with solar , roof top tent etc. very heavy unit, & would prefer to be out in open area & not covered over by trees, I thought I was goin to drive over & camp , may be too different spots, & just do day trips in ute, but q /n/parks tell me I must select my areas,before I go, a bit of a lottery , if you have never been ?we are a couple of oldies, & don't like a lot of noise or traffic, we would be thank full for some directions , cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:22

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:22
Ray

When you book your camping permit you can nominate a preferred area, or you can nominate beach camping. This will allow you to camp at any open beach camping area EXCEPT the few that you must nominate for (normally the defined camping areas of Central Station, Dundaburra, Waddy Point and some of the beach areas close to Eurong).

We were over there 2 weeks ago and we found the inland tracks to be extremely soft and cut up, especially where the tourist busses operate.

Enjoy your stay and HAVE FUN.
Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 541592

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 21:17

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 21:17
Ray if you don't require any facilities I suggest beach camping around Wonai or One Tree Rocks camping zones which gives great access to the Central Island tracks around Lake McKenzie then move North to another beach camp like Eugarie which is far enough up to explore Indian Head to Sandy Cape.
While you must purchase a camping permit no matter where you go, you only need to book a site at the formal camp grounds. Over 1/2 the camp sites on the Island don't require booking. To get an open site suitable for your solar panel, beach camping zones are the go but can be exposed to the wind. Most of the formal camps are set back in the trees & have various levels of facilities. With phone service in a few locations it is possible to find a formal camp ground & book online While the booking system is a PITA for first timers the info you require can be found here.
http://nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/camping.html#camping_on_fraser_island
http://parks.nprsr.qld.gov.au/permits/;jsessionid=YzujdhVraF0GXa4s6r7KgW_aOKpn8fH4eqfTJ22pYuit4kgAUpaz!-72568029

Cheers Craig...................
AnswerID: 541604

Reply By: ray t1 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 21:30

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 21:30
Thanks very much craig & athol , great , I found very helpful , cheers
AnswerID: 541605

Sponsored Links