Hole in battery

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:41
ThreadID: 11015 Views:1823 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Third time lucky
I was removing a battery from my tractor and put a hole in the case,half way down.
what is the best way to repair it. The hole is about the size of a 22 bullet. the battery was working properly and is 154 amp 1200 cca wet cell. "Knead it" any good?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:58

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:58
Could you heat up a flat blade screwdriver & melt it closed ?

Obviously keeping the ignition source away from the battery.
AnswerID: 49203

Follow Up By: Brett - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:02

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:02
What about that HOT GLUE STICK you can get from Sollys or the other junk shops. I would try that as well as the screwdriver trick and then lay a thick patch of SIKA on it. What have you got to lose?
FollowupID: 311064

Follow Up By: Member - peecee (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:11

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:11
The battery case has become brittle from sun damage I don't think I could melt it. The hot glue stick sounds good
Thanks
FollowupID: 311067

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:09

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:09
I would cut a piecec of plastic to over the hole and seal it with glue gun then tisck the plastic over the top with sikaflex of silastic. Better to have two layers of protection with battery acid.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 311176

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:05
Peecee,

Had a battery blow a hole in itself and split, still worked . I fixed it with a hot soldering iron and some plastic from the cap of a plastic Coke bottle. We used a couple of caps but it held until we got home from the Kimberlies.

If the hole is not to big you can try and run the melted plastic into the hole.

Beware only use an electric soldering iron, a gas one might make the battery explode from the fumes

Wayne.
AnswerID: 49208

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:50

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:50
PC,
apply Ormonoid (bituminous gooey black stuff that sticks like bleep e to a blanket) to a small sheet of tin or plastic and apply that to the defect. The piece of tin or plastic can then be held fimly to the side of the battery with duct tape. This will seal better than the melted plastic or hot glue options. I guess Knead it could be used in the same way and would have the advantage of setting very hard.
AnswerID: 49241

Reply By: Janset - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:22

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:22
Hi Peecee.

This is your lucky day :-)

I have just the thing for you, It sets as hard as a rock, it sets, even under water (and to wet surfaces) can be moulded with a wet finger, it can be drilled and tapped, also files and it cleans up, including your hands, in water.

And here is the best part, it sticks to almost every thing, from metal to that black plastic stuff that 20 liter detergent drums are made of.

Answer: Plumbers joining compound!

It is a 2 part mix. There are several brands on the market, one of them is called "Charmac' and the one that I am presently using is "Jenco" . I can not remember the price, from memory it is not cheep, but then it does go a VERY long way and lasts for years. There are several brands on the market, just make sure you get a 2 pack.

I always carry some in a couple of containers on the 4WD. The last time I used this stuff was about 12 months ago to repair a corroded thermostat housing on an old Pajaro...He is still running with my repairs, that's how good the stuff is.

Best of luck. All you have to do now is to get the SG up to the correct level.

Regards
AnswerID: 49282

Reply By: Diesel 1 - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 09:50

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 09:50
G'day Peecee,
There have been some great suggestions from other forumites, but one thing that needs to be considered is that whichever way you attempt to mend the hole, the compound used will have to be impervious to battery acid.
I had a similar incident some years back when I accidently dropped a battery and put a small crack in the case - I figured no big deal, I'll just run a line of glue along the crack and 'job's done'. To my dismay, something in the chemical compound of the glue reacted with the battery acid and turned the small crack into a gaping hole which completely stuffed the battery. I can't remember what the glue actually was, except that it was a general purpose automotive product.
I would suggest experimenting with the compatibility of sealing compound and a drop of battery acid before doing the job - it could mean the diference between saving the battery or dumping it.

Diesel 1
AnswerID: 49355

Sponsored Links