Dalhousie OR Purnie Bore

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:42
ThreadID: 11016 Views:2361 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Xng SD Aug. Someone has said don't camp at Dalhousie, camp at Purnie Bore it is better!! Can anyone back this up? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Russ
C U There.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:51

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:51
Russ,

I would not and do not camp at either. Dalhousie is great for a swim but can get very crowded, and Purnie Bore they are trying to regenerate the area I think.

I would go into the desert if travelling east and stop before Purnie Bore if going west.

Wayne
AnswerID: 49200

Follow Up By: lazylcd - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:41

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:41
sept 2002 we went to the birdsville races via inamanka, crossed the simpson, and there was nothing better than having a nice long soak, at dalhousie, not every night u can have a bath, with a milloin stars over head :o)
FollowupID: 311094

Reply By: AndrewX - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:54

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:54
Russ we stayed at both but I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you're in. We arrived fairly late at Dalhousie so didn't stop at the ruins. Next morning we enjoyed a warm dip in the springs and went back to the ruins then returned and on to Purnie Bore. We were there for lunch. There's a hot shower at Purni Bore and a hide for watching birds. Dalhousie has more facilities and the springs. If I had to choose I'd go Dalhousie but I'd recommend both if you have time.
AnswerID: 49201

Reply By: AndrewX - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:00

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:00
Well Russ there's a fair spread of opinion above for you .... Both and Neither! Gues you'll just have to make up your own mind!!
AnswerID: 49204

Reply By: Russ - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:04

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:04
Thanks 2 U all, I guess there will be more replies, but I guess it answers my question at this stage. None is better than that other. All depends on the time of day.

Appreciate your responses.

Russ.
AnswerID: 49207

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:09

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:09
Russ. The differences are: Dalhousie: Toilet and shower facilities are pretty new. The swimming pool is huge and with a 1 KM walk can find private clear pools. Dalhousie ruins near by. Look out hill near by. Park style campsites can be wind swept and dusty if it's blowing but give plenty of room even for groups. Can get very busy (have seen 40 + cars) Firewood must be carried in.
Purnie Bore: No formal camp sites just flat ground out of the wind between the dunes. Toliet and shower pretty ordinary. Arteisen (spell check) water a bit hard. Bird hide overlooks the pool with alot of animal life about.
Alot of people look around Dalhousie then camp at Purnie to dodge the crowds.
For my money the Main springs camp at Dalhousie has much more to offer and is worth a 2 day stop to look around but only if you don't mind the occational generator going till 10. Craig.....................................
AnswerID: 49209

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:10

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:10
"Better" - everyone has their own opinion of what that is...

Actually, just east of Dalhousie Springs there is a camp along a creek. Took a look last time, lovely and quiet, whilst at the established spring itself (5mins drive back) it sure is crowded after 3pm - 9am but then empties out again as everyone moves off. You've got to stop for a swim there - no doubt about it. The evening sunsets are really special too. There is some amazing birdlife, including spoonbills.

Now that I've told you about the creek campsites, please contact the ranger and find out some more about it, as I honestly don't know the regulations on camping there, but I THINK its just that people don't know about it, so I guess I've just let the cat out of the bag. I think you are allowed to camp there, but please please don't quote me, please check.

As for Purnie Bore - there is a wildlife hut there, designed to let you get up close with the animals at dusk and during the night. For many it is too close to Dalhousie Spring (no more than an hour's drive) to warrant stopping for a 2nd night that's why its a choice. You could do both if you stopped the night and half the next day at Dalhousie and then moved onto Purnie. There isn't much to do/see there until dusk really so its a place to get reflective, get out your water colours and unleash the artist in yourself if you are so inclined... or occcupy yourself as you will. The other option is to base camp at Purnie on the 2nd day, and setup off down the Rig Road to see the Lone Gum Tree etc and then head back at the end of the day to Purnie Bore. It of course would involve some backtracking and fuel use, but you could do it. Just a suggestion?
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 49210

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:21

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:21
Michelle,

I think that "creek" is the overflow from the main spring. We camped by there about 15years ago when the main camp was crowded out and it was a lovely spot. But on subsequent visits we found that it was off limits, and I think you'll find it still is. Walked around there a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately Dalhousie was become an uncontrolled mess and I think the National Parks have had to do what was necessary to manage the large numbers passing through.

I love it when there's not too many people. Hate it when its crowded.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 311104

Reply By: Russ - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:32

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:32
Thanks Crackles ad Michelle.

Appreciate your replies.

Russ
AnswerID: 49215

Reply By: miker - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 15:51

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 15:51
Can't resist. I always find that after a decent jaunt in the back blocks eg. the Simpson, being cast into the likes of Dalhousie with 20 - 30 double differs, all a bit much. We had our swim and followed the fence NW for a few k's and camped in a lovely little grove of small trees just off the track. That's the beauty of these trips - options and freedom.

Miker.
AnswerID: 49279

Sponsored Links