SW-WA

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:23
ThreadID: 110214 Views:2589 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to South West WA on March-May 2015. After countless calculations to go by air, renting a camper van or a car, stays and so on, I decided to go with my Patriot and Sportliner, 10-12 days to go smoothly and the same back, about a month staying there. I am planning to arrive to Kalgoorlie or Hyden, and then stop around Perth on the way to the Cervantes area, Later do all the coast down to Albany before returning home.
Unlike QLD where there are countless National Parks to stay and camp, as well as many free or cheap sites, this area of WA has very few of these facilities; comments on council camp-sites (......the lazy caretaker, dirty toilets...) or caravan parks, expensive and crowded does not help much. I normally use Camps Australia Wide and Wiki Camps as my guide but there are not many camps and comments of users on caravan parks are as usual, expensive, crowded, not friendly and you have to pay for some 50% of facilities you never use, a piece somewhat levelled surface of green grass and toilet are enough for us two.
Comments about personal experiences are welcome as well as links to find true information. We are 70.
Thanks in advance.
Carlo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:30

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:30
Have a look at this list, it may help.

Camping South West WA
AnswerID: 542021

Follow Up By: ferrarofilms - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:23

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:23
Yes, it helps
Thanks
FollowupID: 828238

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:25

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:25
There are heaps of places to camp in SW WA. Just find a place a bit off the road and stop. There are a lot of RV friendly towns that offer free camping. The yuppe wine region of Margaret River doesn't like free camper so go to the Mt Barker / Frankland that in my opinion have better wines, in particular reds.

Just remember to not leave anything behind when you leave a camp spot.

Neil
AnswerID: 542022

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:58

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:58
The lack of free/low cost camp spots is probably only an issue in the areas close to larger towns and the nearby routes in between them; that is what we found over there. I just accept that we need to pay reasonable caravan park rates in the busier places. A portable toilet in a popup tent will fix that vital camping issue for you and add flexibility to your overnight planning options. As for your intended trip - a hell of a lot to see and do over there - a great trip indeed.
AnswerID: 542024

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 13:32

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 13:32
Heaps of good free and cheap camping In Southern WA ( Fantastic national parks)
From Esperance though to Albany
It gets a bit tougher the closer you get to Margaret River.

Cheers
AnswerID: 542028

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 15:36

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 15:36
Carlo - This website in the link below has a comprehensive list that will assist you.
The list continues on other pages - once you reach the bottom of the page, click on "continue reading".

Free/low cost camping, W.A.

Main Roads W.A. also has a useful guide to roadside rest stops and overnight camping areas.
There are very few overnight (24hr) roadside stops operated by MRWA in the South West of W.A.
However, away from populated areas, it's generally not hard to find an old gravel pit or a bush location on Crown Land away from the road, where you can camp overnight.

MRWA rest areas

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 542032

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 16:42

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 16:42
dont forget a fishing rod - thats the best time of the year, particulary beach fishing for salmon
AnswerID: 542040

Reply By: Fossil Phill - Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 21:17

Saturday, Nov 22, 2014 at 21:17
It can be pretty warm still in March, so if you don't like hot weather, you might want to do the southern part first, and work your way north as it cools down ;-)
AnswerID: 542058

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 00:56

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 00:56
Hi Carlo

Western Australia is a state of low population density and wide open spaces. It is usually easy to find somewhere to stop in rural areas away from towns; easier than in the Eastern States. Sure the coastal strip can get crowded in peak times like summer and school holidays, and caravan parks charge prices accordingly. Inland towns are keen to see visitors and have low cost camping, and many wheatbelt towns have good well maintained caravan parks at very reasonable prices. A number of coastal Shires do not welcome free campers outside of authorised areas - they have had to clean up squatters dominating the coastline in the past, and they need clout to move on those overstaying their welcome such as groups of young campers who can set up for weeks at a time, often with no on board toilets. If you can contact me privately through my profile or Blogs, I can give you more specific information about places you want to stop. I have a series of Blogs here on the Albany area.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 542066

Reply By: ferrarofilms - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 07:51

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 07:51
Thanks everybody for your contribution. If interested I can be reached by the address on my website: www.ferrarofilmsau.com, a lot of videos and photos in there to watch, as well as links to Vimeo, Youtube and my blog.
Carlo
AnswerID: 542069

Sponsored Links