Flinders Island (GBRMP) by boat ???

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 02:36
ThreadID: 110224 Views:1569 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day!
At the end of july 2015 I'm planning to ride up the Cape York Peninsula from Cairns to Seisia by pushbike. I just read, that there are charter boats from Cairns to Flinders Island (GBRMP). Can I also take my bike with me (only one-way)? How much will it cost? From Flinders Island I will cross over by boat - charter boat or whatever - to Bathurst Head. Is it also possible?
Thanks
Martin (Germany)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 07:34

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 07:34
Martin, best thing to do is contact the charter boat companies, or the tourist information centre in Cairns. That would be my first step.
Cheers.
Tony.
AnswerID: 542068

Follow Up By: Martin S - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 07:12

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 07:12
Thank you very much for this tip, Tony.
I will do.
CU mate
FollowupID: 828359

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:43

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:43
Hallo Martin,
It is good to see posts from other countries, especially Germany here on ExplorOz, I would presume you have done research on Cape York, the best time to travel will be during the Dry Season and best months would be Juli or August, also be aware of Crocodiles in all waters, freshwater rivers and Tidal streams will have Salt Water crocodiles so it is NOT advisable to walk or swim in any streams in Northern Australia, as for the pushbike on the boat I see no reason why not, all I can say is your keen, good luck.
I will be in your Country again next year for Heimspiel 2015 in Juli at Aspach.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 542074

Follow Up By: Martin S - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 06:54

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 06:54
Hi Doug,
thanks for your post.
Yes, I already did a lot of research and I also know about die dangers, especially by the salties. In 2004 I did a bike trip from Townsville to Cooktown and because of the langlasting wet-season in that year it was to difficult to go on furter to the tip.
Hopefully it will work better the next dry season.
I will probably contact the tourist information in Cairns.
Good luck next year in germany.
Martin
FollowupID: 828358

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 11:19

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 11:19
Two things europeans underestimate about australia are...the distances and the heat....both real chalenges for cyclists.

Riding bicycle to the top of cape york would be an adventure of the highest order and doing it unsuported would be incredibly difficult if not foolish.
Carrying sufficient water alone may make the trip a non starter.

People commonly do the trip on motorcycles...with a substantial support crew and vehicles.

Remember distances of hundreds of Km are common between towns in this country and in areas like cape york..appart from the very few settlements and communities, there are no services and no supplies of any kind.......you can not even rely on there being a source of safe drinking water.

A bicycle may well and truly open up some very economical and very viable traveling options in certain areas...in other areas traveling by bicycle could be considered dangerous in th least.

cheers
AnswerID: 542083

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 18:32

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 18:32
Martin
What Bantam says is true, and you have to plan accordingly
But by the looks of it you are indeed doing so, dont be put off totally
Your seaside connections which is the crux of your question would be the easiest part of your trip, and also the easiest for you to resarch directly with companies involved (google =friend). By far the most planning and prep will have to be the CY bike trip. Spares water food shelter, will have to be carried. Backup plans, support, etc,
My teenage son has done similar( outback qld) remote bike trips, but can go max 2 days without support as you simply run out of water. He wanted and started planning a CY trip, which I supported, but that was with vehicle backup that would meet him every two days. (Other things happened so he did not start that trip)
Do not under estimate the trip, but if you plan accordingly it would be interesting.
CJ
AnswerID: 542104

Reply By: Martin S - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 07:11

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 07:11
@ The Bantam and CSeaJay
thanks for your critical comments.
I have been in Northern Queensland in 2004 and I tried to cycle up from Townsville. Because of the longlasting wet-season in that year I had to change my plans and that's why I left the Cape York Peninsula in Cooktown when cycling via Normanton, Borroloola (Savannah Way), Roper Hwy and Stuart Hwy to Darwin.
Believe me: I know exactly what I'm doing. Since 1984 I'm now cycling and especially in the last 10 years I only prefer remoted places in hot areas where I had to act on one's own.
But it's better you alert unknown people to avoid foolish activities before they will be killed in the unknown wilderness.
CU Martin
AnswerID: 542128

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:57

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:57
Sounds like you certainly know what you are doing .....how do you carry enough water for a week of travelling ??
FollowupID: 828367

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 17:33

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 17:33
Good on ya Martin, sorry to have gone off topic, but as you said better to alert in case you weren't aware.
CJ
FollowupID: 828385

Follow Up By: Martin S - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 04:13

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 04:13
@ Gronk
for a week ???
The farest place getting there without water is Batavia Downs - about 100 km north of the Archer River RH. But pretty close to it are several river crossings. And the Wenlock River keep water in the dry season.
FollowupID: 828411

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 20:08

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 20:08
I'm just imagining riding a pushbike over those corrugations...

I am impressed by your dedication, but not at all envious!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 542160

Follow Up By: Martin S - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 04:48

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 04:48
G'day mate,
sometimes it's really hard and then I hate everything I do. But at the end of the day when reaching a campsite, a roadhouse or when seeing the sunset over the river I only feel lucky.
But now, after a long-lasting illness I'm on fire and I'm itching to go up this remote area.
FollowupID: 828412

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 07:28

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 07:28
All power to you Martin, good luck with it

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 828414

Sponsored Links