How can I attach a none slip rubber mat to a tub liner

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 20:19
ThreadID: 110236 Views:6530 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

I have a hard plastic tub liner in my Colorado. Unfortunately the tub liner is as slipper as grease.

I have bought a none slip mat and would like to secure it to the tub liner.

Should I use self tapers or silicone, or is there another way?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 20:30

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 20:30
Maybe try Sikaflex and the primer that can be used with it........... I am sure that others will come up with other possibilities.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 542109

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 20:56

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 20:56
If its a heavy one and is cut to shape it will probably just sit there.
Putting screws through it will just tear holes in it if it moves.
Did to the one I put on top of the drawers in my Cruiser
AnswerID: 542113

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 21:27

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 21:27
Plain old silicon, non acid cure preferably will just about stick anything to anything. Stopping water laying under the mat might be an issue though, if the crud gets trapped between the mat and the liner it may get smelly etc.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 542118

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 21:51

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 21:51
Tub liners are made from Polyethylene.
It is a bit like gluing something to a candle.
Essentially, nothing will stick to this stuff with any life certainty. It is specifically excluded by Sikaflex.
I would consider hot air welding some reinforcement patches to the tub and then using mechanical fasteners to them.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 542120

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 22:38

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 22:38
Boob Boo - A good quality Silastic will probably suffice for all intents and purposes - but if you want a stronger bond, try 3M's Scotch-Weld PR100.
You will need some 3M AC77 primer for the polyethylene to get a proper bond.
This stuff is a cyanoacrylate product and it bonds on contact, so ensure your alignment is correct before positioning.
This adhesive also requires a close tolerance fit to work properly (maximum gap .015mm), whereas Silastic will tolerate large and uneven gaps.

3M Instant Adhesives

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 542121

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 22:40

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 22:40
P.S. - Have you thought about spraying the tub liner with a heavy thickness, non-slip paint coating? A marine product could fill the bill nicely.
FollowupID: 828353

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 23:50

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 23:50
I just read your other thread, all that "red paste" is probably grinding away between your tub liner & the tub, if it was me I would throw the tub liner away, I have seen some very badly rusted tubs under liners"

AnswerID: 542124

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 05:39

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 05:39
Boo Boo I had the same issue on a couple of my utes and I just used a normal rubber ute mat cut in to the floor shape and they are heavy enough to sit down under their own weight and don't move around
I bought my Falcon one from Clark Rubber and on my Hilux used a genuine rubber mat, just had to trim it a bit smaller to allow for the poly liner
AnswerID: 542126

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 16:18

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 16:18
hi boo-boo
ive own 3 dual-cabs since 1986 and ive never bothered with tub liners
I have just only ever gone into clark rubber and bought a length of multi-rib rubber matting 1200 wide and length to suit
its tuff and lasts for years doesn't need adhesive and stops things sliding around
take out and wash when need be
also use a piece in 6x4 trailer at times
tub liners get dirt and moister under it and it will eventually cause rust that I have seen as proof and some one else also mentioned
the multi rib matt also stops road noise and drumming into your cab particularly if there is a fibre cab attached to the well-body the cost will be minor compared to a tub liner
my two bobs worth from personel experience
cheers
AnswerID: 542182

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 20:36

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 20:36
Thanks for the replies people

I forgot to mention that the mat is in 2 pieces and based on the info supplied I will leave it as is so that I can take it out and clean it, or I will join the 2pieces together and still leave it loose.

FollowupID: 828430

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 20:36

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 20:36
Boo Boo,
my experience with tub liners is very negative. As stated before water gets under the liner by either sweating or ingress and sits. The result is severe rusting.

I have a liner in my tub but I have a canopy and roller draws. I cut the liner out on the bottom under the draws and coated the sides of the tub with soft seal before reinstalling the modified liner. Another thing is at the front of your tub you may find 2 holes high up on the tub each side. I suggest you seal these with sikaflex.

In your situation I would remove the liner. Soft seal the front and sides. Cut the liner with a jigsaw so that it only protects those side areas and smooth the cut edges with a cheap deburring tool and reinstall.

Then I would place a removable mat on the bottom of the tub so you can check and dry it out if necessary.

AnswerID: 542212

Sponsored Links