200 series Landcruiser factory trailer plug

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 23:55
ThreadID: 110237 Views:13532 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everybody

I'm in the process of buying a new caravan which will come with a 7 pin large plug I was wondering if the Toyota factory trailer wiring loom with the 7 pin small plug will have heavy enough wiring if I want to change out the 7 pin small plug currently fitted for a 7 pin large plug. I'm happy to run another trailer loom with heavier wiring if needed but if the factory wiring is up to it would obviously be a lot easier.

Cheers Toby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 01:04

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 01:04
The wire will be the same size, so yes you can just change it, I changed one of mine to a flat plug to suit the boat and all my trailers, to put a new wire loom through is not a small job, in fact you have to take half the car apart to get to the plug that you need to connect the loom to, or so I am told.
AnswerID: 542125

Follow Up By: Member - Toby R (Karratha) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 01:48

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 01:48
Thanks for the feed back Steve that's good news not only will that save me some money but also a few headaches by the sound of it.

Cheers Toby.
FollowupID: 828355

Reply By: Member - Phil H (NSW) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 06:02

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 06:02
Toby,
The wiring is the same. only needs the soicket to be changed Toyota have the extra bracket / rubber boot /socket and screw set.
AnswerID: 542127

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:09

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:09
Just be sure to buy a quality plug, and IMO metal is more durable. There's some rubbish out there.
AnswerID: 542137

Reply By: steamfire01 - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:19

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:19
Toby
If you haven't actually bought the van yet, you could get the changing of the plug done by the dealer as part of the purchase.
I did that when I upgraded a van and had to go to a 12 pin plug. I realise that's not the same, but it's worth a try.

Keep safe out there

Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 542139

Reply By: Member - Toby R (Karratha) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 13:36

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 13:36
The reason I decided to go with the 7 pin large trailer plug and a 50 amp Anderson plug was the feed back I've received from several caravan owners saying that the 12 pin flat plug would struggle supplying reliable 12 volt power to run my large 12v 190L compressor fridge/freezer and charging system for my three 120amp batteries. As this is my first van and I'm definitely not a sparky I'm glad to take any feedback I can get.

Thank you

Toby
AnswerID: 542143

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 17:12

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 17:12
Toby

The 7 pin standard plug is not an issue...... it is the wire size supplying the current to the house batteries in the caravan that is the weak link in the system........and for that matter the only connection in question is pin #2

the actual pins at the back of the female plug to which you connect the wire is an issue as it is ideally sized for 4mm trailer wire..........you could if you wished overcome that as a 6mm will go in with care

Best choice is to run a dedicated Andersen plug as you said...with a heavy cable 8 B&S ideally.......I also recommend that you run it to a DCDC charger that way you have the perfect reliable system

I don't see any reason to change the plug...unnecessary cost for one dedicated wire that you wont be using if Andersen is the option you go

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 828382

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 21:25

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 21:25
Toby,
You will be a very heavy power user, with a 190L compressor fridge and 360Ah of AGMs in the van.
50A Anderson plug sounds a bit small. If you've run those batteries down a bit and have good wiring and adequate voltage, those batteries can easily suck 80+ amps out of the 200series Alternator.
I'd be inclined to double it up, or move to the 175Ah plug.
Will you have solar as well?
FollowupID: 828403

Follow Up By: Member - Toby R (Karratha) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 22:07

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 22:07
Hi Phil

Thanks for the tip on the upgraded Anderson plug I'll definitely look into that.

The van has 3 x 120w solar panels on the roof and a 30 amp Morningstar Prostar regulator I also have a portable 120w solar panel which I can plug in if needed.

I have a Redarc bcdc1220 charger under the bonnet of the cruiser and the van comes with a Projecta IC2500 25amp charger.

Of course this all means nothing to me as I have no idea when it comes to electrics but I hope it works out for the best.
FollowupID: 828406

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 00:38

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 00:38
360W of solar will help a lot, so it is likely that most of the recharging will be done by your solar panels, reducing the amount from the alternator when driving. And if course if you ran the Projecta charger off 240V overnight, there would be no real need for the Anderson plug!
It all depends on what you're doing! Sounds like you're well setup.
FollowupID: 828409

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 15:17

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 15:17
Hi Toby

I purchased a new 200 and chose to install my own trailer wiring loom. It is the dedicated Toyota loom...Don't use anything else

What I can tell you is this

1) The loom is the standard 7 wire
2) The blue electronic brake wire terminates (feeding back from the trailer plug) and a short access end is left outside the wiring harness insulation ( for access at a later date) it is basically behind the back drivers side tail light...awaiting the electronic brake controller wire to be attached
3) To access this necessitates the rear side panel to be removed along with both the drivers side kick sills to lay the wire from there to the brake controller placed upfront
4) If you have the dealer install the tow wiring harness be aware that it is standard for them to wire as per the install instructions.....this will mean that pin # 2 (brown) will be live each time you select reverse...it is rare for any towed trailer in this country to have reversing lights in the lens and this connection is often used as a power supply for accessories in a trailer/van or to in some cases to power the breakaway electric brake battery

A) So what does this mean?..........you are better off having the electric brake controller installed the same time as the trailer wiring harness otherwise at some stage you will pay for some labour twice over in the removal of access panels.
B) Be aware that unless otherwise instructed the brown wire pin #2 will be live at the trailer socket unless you instruct otherwise
C) Does this really matter?...well it might in some circumstances if you hook up a trailer/van and the male plug pin 2 is set up for something else such as charging a house battery when the vehicle is running...no charge of course unless your in reverse

As for wiring size...I chose to replace the blue electric brake wire right through inside the original Toyota harness right through to the trailer plug...........probably wasn't necessary....might not do that again....bit of a mission and I regretted that decision half way through the process.......I did it because I tow a heavy 4 wheel braking caravan and I wanted to be totally sure I would get no voltage drop in the brakes

cheers

VKS 1341

AnswerID: 542146

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 15:23

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 15:23
I should have added that as for pin 2 I ran a dedicated heavy duty wire to the trailer socket for my charging purposes ...

the standard Toyota harness is perfectly suited for the trailer lights and the electric brakes as it was designed for

It is only the brown wire pin 2 that may require a heavier dedicated cable to it depending upon the use for that power source

If for charging the best method is a DCDC charger in the trailer/van receiving power (pin 2) and boosting the charge voltage up at that end)
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 828381

Follow Up By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 21:13

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 21:13
Ditto to bungarra I had the same problem with one wire for reversing went to my van fridge only in reverse mode it was wired up by the Toyota dealer with there wiring loom.
once I changed that I have not had any more issues all good
Cheers
FollowupID: 828435

Follow Up By: Member - johntoyo - Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:29

Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:29
Another ditto to what bungarra recomends.
I fitted my own loom as it's not a hard job (see lcool) and at least it's done correctly, especially refitting the gromets in the rear.
Same with heavier brake control cables.
I have the 12 pin plug along with a 50A Anderson through 6B&S cable. On my van I have 360A of AGM's and 560w of solar. No issues at all.

Friend of mine had to have his 200 series back twice to the Toyota dealer before they got it right, and by that time he had fitted his rear drawers which had to come out. Some dealers farm out electrical work and done at a tight cost.
FollowupID: 828476

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 12:52

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 12:52
Welcome to the Lotus family Toby, mines a Freelander without bunks (although the Grandkids do keep asking!!!).

I currently tow with a Prado, but will be upgrading to a 200 at the end of next year.

I'm heading over your way in 2015, might see you on the road!!
AnswerID: 542177

Follow Up By: Member - Toby R (Karratha) - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 00:20

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 00:20
Hi Mark

How have you found the Freelander so far is there anything I should look for when I go into the dealer for hand over?

FollowupID: 828440

Reply By: Mark T6 - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:10

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:10
Toby, no great drama's but like every van there's always a few little issues that have to be sorted and yours may not have any of the same things happen.

For us we had,

Basin in ensuite out of alignment, had to be reseated.
Outside 12 volt point didn't work (believe it or not there was a packet of screws in behind it).
We had 3 draw locks (called shell locks.....not even sure if still in use) break on the very first trip, more on those below.
The TV kept blowing fuses and had to be replaced (in first few days.....not really a Lotus fault as such but they did replace it).

And then after our first trip,

We found the back wall was starting to split, not profoundly but they have needed to take out the panel and replace.
And IF.......they are still using the shell locks, these break very easily, they are very aware of it AND I suggest you ask for a few spares to take with you. Also the little round knobs (That you push in to open) just rattle off, even on tar roads, so these need a VERY small drop of locktight on them, and screw them back on so the don't do that.

Couple of suggestions (if you van isn't underway already).

If planning on using a Vast Satellite system (and perhaps Foxtel as well if you have Sat Foxtel over there), get them to install an extra 12 Volt plug at the inside and outside TV area, and also dual connectors to run your Sat Cords through the van and to the inside point......I have added these aftermarket but would have been neater done at Factory.

Assume you are having a Gas Connector for a Webber BBQ put in, suggest you have two put in one at the front and one at the back, its not always convenient to position your BBQ at just one place.

Also ensure you have at least two, and depending on the size maybe three outside lights, especially one over or near each BBQ cooking point.

I "think" they are supplying the Trail A Mate jack / jockey wheel set up with the vans now, I had to buy one......these are easier to use as the jockey wheel (use the flat plate not the wheel) for everyday use HOWEVER get them to put an extra coupling on so you can use both the Trail a Mate and the standard Jockey wheel if necessary.....sounds strange, and has only been required by me once but if you are on a steep angle where your drawbar has to be almost or on the ground you may need two jacks to "graduate" the lift off and on the tow hitch.

Lastly, can I suggest two things

There's a fantastic Lotus Owners Forum that will answer these (and many more) questions.....you'll need to join (Ian Fraser is the owner and will approve you), here's the link

http://lotuscaravanownersgroup.freeforums.org/

There's also a great Facebook page as well look for Lotus Caravan Owners (again Ian or Geoff will have to approve you)

Hope this helps and maybe we "catch up" on the Forum or Facebook for more

AnswerID: 542198

Follow Up By: Member - Toby R (Karratha) - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:35

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:35
That's great feed back Mark that's exactly what was looking for.

I'm not on Facebook but I am over at the Lotus forum and yes there's plenty of info there but it seems a little quiet over there.
FollowupID: 828446

Sponsored Links