reverse lights question

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 22:02
ThreadID: 110266 Views:3625 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hi I haven't been on this forum for years so I hope I'm in the right place, ok, I have a 2006 rodeo tray back 4wd, I bought it second hand, it has no reverse lights, it has led turn signals and led stop/tail lights, but no reverse. I have bought a pair of led type work/spot/reverse light off ebay. Would the wiring harness going to the back of the vehicle already have the reverse wire there somewhere just waiting for me to connect my 2 lights or is this going to be a hard job and I have to run a wire back to the fuse box or something?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 22:29

Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 22:29
As far as I know, the wiring should be standard from the factory. Part of compliance. Who ever put tray on did a poor job it sounds like.
AnswerID: 542257

Follow Up By: 4wheelfun - Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 23:30

Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 23:30
yeh I would have thought that it wouldn't have passed compliance without reverse lights, aren't they mandatory? any way , if I put car in reverse with motor off and using a circuit tester, would that be a logical way to find the correct wire/wires?
FollowupID: 828542

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 00:13

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 00:13
Sounds like they changed the original tail lights for the LED ones. The White LEDs are more expensive, so maybe he was a tight-arse, and didn't buy the required lamps.

Yeah, test it like you said, but think you'll need ignition on to get a circuit, while in reverse.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 828543

Reply By: Athol W1 - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 09:04

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 09:04
4wheelfun
There has been a legal requirement for all motor vehicles (except trailers and motorcycles) to be fitted with at least 1 reversing light since 1975, and in the case of light vehicles since 08/1972. The requirement did change around 1988 to read that the reversing light(s) fitted must be white in colour. There is also a maximum strength for these lights so you can not use driving type lights, even the typical work light normally exceeds this permitted strength but suitably fitted and aimed low would probably not attract any undesired attention.

The wiring for these lights would have to be there in the original wiring loom and it will only be live when in reverse gear with the ignition on. Be aware that the original wiring and switches would only be rated for about a 4 amp load (2 lights of 21 watts = 3.6 amps)

Hope this helps.
Athol
AnswerID: 542271

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:20

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:20
Athol, good to know you're still around with your seemingly endless fund of knowledge on vehicle engineering and standards. You ARE missed on that interminable piss-fight called aus.cars ...
FollowupID: 828553

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:50

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:50
Yeh the legal requirement for reversing lights has been arround for some time.
From My reading, the specifoications have been relaxed a little recently.
In the past you where allowed 20 watts total of incandesant lamps.

If you go to the ADRs ther is now a light intensity and pattern specified.

It works out that you can run some low power work lght type fittings.

Most of the diesel spares shops will have a low power led flood/work light to fit the spec.....it will typically be arround 18-20 watts LED....of those you can use one and it must be at the height specified and aimed to achieve no more than the maximim permitted light above the horisontal.

I worked out the specs a while ago when I reworked the rear of my 4wd ute.
I found that a pair of 50mm 10 watt cree worklights if aimed sensibly where not quite within spec but so close that I am unlikly to come to any undue attention.

Typically the factory reverse light lamp in the not that new vehicles was a 10 watt globe, so no realys required and no surprises.

BTW.....from memory on a toyota reverse lights should be red with a black stripe.

There will be...or there should have been multipin plugs both sides that have the indicator for that side, park, stop and reverse light connections and an eartn return.

white black for earth
green black for left flash
yellow black for right flash
greem white for stop
green for parkers
red black for reverse

cheers
FollowupID: 828555

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:32

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:32
4wheelfun - There will be a switch mounted either in the gearbox housing, or on the outside, inline with the gear linkage. It's generally not hard to find.
Test that you're getting power to the switch and that power is coming through the switch when the gearshift is in reverse.
You do need to have the ignition in the "on" position to get power to the switch.

Then follow the wiring harness through to the rear of the vehicle and check that it hasn't been damaged somewhere (wires chafed or cut).
Also check any connectors you find in the harness for clean bayonet connectors.
Sometimes, dirt and mud gathers in improperly-protected connectors in the wiring harness and the bayonet connectors corrode.
Once they become corroded, they will refuse to transmit current.
You can often have one connector corroded in a block of 6, and the others will be O.K.

Clean any dirty bayonet connectors by dipping them in half a cupful of CLR cleaner (Calcium, Lime, Rust cleaner) - then flush the connector with clean water and allow to dry before re-assembling.

You can get a copy of the entire manual for your Rodeo (including the wiring harness diagram) from the site below, for $4.99.
All of the advice by the previous posters is very good advice.

Holden Rodeo RA - 2003-2006 - Service Manual

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 542285

Reply By: 4wheelfun - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:04

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:04
thanks everyone for the help, i'll be tackling this job on the weekend, I hope it goes smoothly
AnswerID: 542305

Reply By: Member - GUPATROL - Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 09:28

Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 09:28
Under ADR standards the wiring should already be in place the precious owner may have removed the lights or didn't get the Reverse wired back up. This is a pretty straight forward jod as you will not require a relay although I would recommend wiring in a 10 amp inline fuse +positive between each led light and were u connect into the cars reverse wiring harness as I assume these are between 18- 27 watt which will supply more then enough light
AnswerID: 542318

Sponsored Links