universal spotlight harness for light bar

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 14:50
ThreadID: 110283 Views:1545 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all have just finished wiring led reverse lights to my rodeo 4wd no problems, thanks to the help on this forum, I now have to fit an led light bar to my wifes camry, I know its not a fourby but help will still be appreciated, my dilemma is I ordered a wiring harness for led lightbar but was sent a universal harness, you know the type, its already put together, only thing it has provision for 2 spotties(4 wires) but the lightbar only has 2 wires, question- is cutting off 2 of the wires and insulating them a good practice or not? and 2nd question, looking at schematics on google for lightbats show the black wire going to earth and the red wire going to relay, but because the relay already has a wire going to earth should I just join the black from the lightbar to the black coming from the relay. hope this makes sense, I'm not to cluey when it comes to autoelectrics
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 15:34

Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 15:34
The problem with universal harnesses....is.....they aren't and cany be.

there is also the "toyota problem"...well it appies to most japanese vehicles.

there is no simple positive line that will give you a high beam output.

The headlights are wired like this.

from the battery thru the headlight realy to the common of the headlight bulb.

Then high and low beam are selected by connecting either high or low filament to earth thru the stalk switch on the steering collum.

If you connect to the wire at the heldignt that shows +12 volts on high beam you will be connecting to the unearthed low beam terminal of the lamp.
If the lamp is removed or the low beam filament fails...you spotlights do not work.

The best way to do this is to connect the realy coil across the high beam fialment with a switch in series.
then connect the spotlight/s from battery thru a fuse, thru the crealy contacts to the spotlight/s to earth.

If you are half good with a crimper and some wire it will take less time to do it from scratch than t make a universal loom work.

cheers
AnswerID: 542330

Sponsored Links